[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 62 KB, 199x253, dexbg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4970381 No.4970381 [Reply] [Original]

Sorry to bug you guys but I figured you might be able to help me.

I'm starting a physics degree in the Fall and one of my gen ed courses was closed so I've got a free spot I'd like to fill with a programming class (I need to learn programming at some point and I figure sooner is better than later). I'm looking at the comp sci courses and I've got two with very similar descriptions.

>Computer Science I: Fundamentals
>This is the introduction to programming using Python. It emphasizes object-oriented programming style and methodology. Concepts are presented in the context of working examples and exercises. Language syntax and computing paradigms are studied. Programming projects are used to reinforce key programming notions, including iteration, data types, functions, and objects. Projects may include graphics, string processing, and network applications.

>Introduction to Computer Science
>Introductory course in computer science and the study of algorithms appropriate for students in data-intensive disciplines. Topics include how computers work, simple algorithms and their efficiency, networking, databases, artificial intelligence, graphics, simulation and modeling, security and the social impact of computing. The course also includes a gentle hands-on introduction to programming concepts with Python.

I have basically no programming experience so I'm not real sure what the differences between these courses are, so if someone with more CS experience could explain to me what the difference is and give me some idea of which would be the better course to take I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

>> No.4970416

The second one will be more valuable for a physics degree. With a background in programming, python can be learned in two days.

>> No.4970456

The first one focuses on programming and everything directly involved. The second one is more about computing-related background knowledge, touching upon several broadly related topics and only doing a small amount of programming. Basically, a tour of the major topics a computer science student would study.

If your goal is to learn programming, the first one appears to be the more appropriate.

>> No.4970465

They're both equally pointless, Python is a dying language... learn FORTRAN instead

>> No.4970471

>>4970465
inb4 OP believes this

>> No.4970480

Go with the first one if you want to learn useful programming and things you can use in real life.
Go with the second if you're a super nerd and able to understand that stuff.

>> No.4970533

In a nutshell,

CS is a course in mathematical reasoning for computation and data.

Programming is it's application.

It's usually more difficult to pick up on the CS part without knowing how to program first because there may seem like no application, but just go to codeacademy and take a course in python before September.

>> No.4970549

>>4970533
>Codeacademy
>Not using superior Udacity to learn Python
>2012

>> No.4970551
File: 269 KB, 1280x959, laugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4970465

>> No.4970593

>>4970533
>>4970549
>2012
>Not simply going to the library and picking up a guide to learning Python

>> No.4970647

>>4970593
>2012
>Libraries
Sorry, I can't hear you all the way up here in the 21st century

>> No.4970663

Sounds like the first is better if you want to learn Python and the second is better if you want to understand the fundamental principles behind computer science.

... which is weird given that the first one is called 'Computer Science Fundamentals'

>> No.4970678

>Computer Science I: Fundamentals
I assume there is a Computer Science II, etc. This looks like a serious hands-on introduction to computer programming.

>Introduction to Computer Science
This appears to be a fluff "This is a computer. We use computers for computering." course.

>> No.4970870
File: 103 KB, 500x354, dexjoy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll try to get into the 'Fundamentals' course.

One other quick question - there's two sections available, one of which is marked "DCE - On Campus Course", anyone know what that's about?

>> No.4970958

>>4970870
No idea

>> No.4971692 [DELETED] 
File: 112 KB, 900x900, dexbig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.4971754

Fundamentals sounds like a course for people interested in computer science. The typical student probably already knows how to program. That said, the course is probably structured such that the beginning programer can keep up, but with some hard work at the start of the semester. If you take this course, it might be a good idea to learn some python before it starts. Start here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer%27s_Tutorial_for_Python_2.6

Intro seems like a course for people "interested" in computer science. That is, they are not sure what the discipline entails, but are willing to dive in, perhaps taking Fundamentals next semester. The typical student probably doesn't know any programing. Take this course if you'd like an easier class.