[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 50 KB, 679x516, 1301696644145.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4955652 No.4955652 [Reply] [Original]

What is your opinion of Khan Academy?

This is a video about the effectiveness of teaching [science] through videos, and how it's practical, but not necessarily to the people who need it the most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVtCO84MDj8

>You'll either laugh or cry at the last ten seconds of the video

>> No.4955681

You see, I am what that guy was talking about. I took the videos of the Khan Academy, and I felt extremely confident about the subject after a few videos. The only thing different is, I realized that math was like a language and was very easy to understand once you learn about some properties and what not. The science videos (Chemistry to be exact) helped as well. Though I had to repeat the videos multiple times, then go and look through search engines as to why this or that wasn't the reason this or that kind of chemical reactions happened.

All in all, that guy is right. Khan Academy is a great tool for people to use who either already have a bit of the subject they are wanting to learn more about under their belt or people that are fast/concise learners of that subject.

>> No.4955719

I think that many people who criticize Khan Academy are doing so for the wrong reasons. Sal Khan isn't qualified to teach, but that also isn't what he was going for(at first); he made videos to tutor his cousins in math and science. He got a lot of attention from other Youtube viewers to make more videos, and then Bill Gates & Co. took notice and started funding his stuff.

Khan gets awarded "Teacher of the World" by some and "a bad teacher" by others. Karim from Mathalicious(a website doing what Khan does that you have to pay for) has been arguing with him for weeks over the definition of a slope.

My opinion comes down to this: Everything has been blown out of proportion. His videos are helpful, but nobody should be using them as the end-all, be-all of education. It's kind of like 4chan's "only a fool would take anything posted here as fact" disclaimer, at least in principle; if you're riding on Khan Academy to get you through your Master's degree, don't expect to succeed, but if you're looking for a quick tutorial or review, it's great.