[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 76 KB, 1440x900, Feel Different.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4947949 No.4947949 [Reply] [Original]

Google Fiber is a project proposing to expand itself country-wide and even internationally.

With download speeds of 1 gigabit per second - or 1000 mb/s for $120 / mo. with T.V and $70/mo. for just internet, as well as free internet offering "today's speeds", Google expects to break records..

http://fiber.google.com/about/

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111626127367496192147/posts

Google is also working on augmented virtual reality glasses that will also offer the features seen in a smart phone.

>> No.4947952

Too bad that fiber will never come to my city :(

>> No.4947970

>>4947952
at least you never had a chance.
imagine the disappointment when Google coming to your city was actually a possibility, only to end up rejected by fucking Kansas.

>> No.4947977

In 2015 a Canadian company is releasing 24 low orbit satellites into space, they will cover the entire world with 1gb/s internet, each satellite can handle 5gb/s of bandwidth, in at least 10 years 50mb/s is going to be "cute".

>> No.4947978

So soon we'll have Google fiber internet, Google self-driving cars, Google smartphones, Google glasses, and use Google for almost all web based services at one point or another.

I'd be concerned about Google's immense scope if I wasn't so damn impressed.

>> No.4947984

>>4947977
citation?

>> No.4947993

>>4947977
If this is true it feels good to be Canadian.

>> No.4947995

>>4947984
Found it myself i think
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20028859-264.html

>> No.4948000

>>4947995
Well that's going to be a bitch to maintain

>> No.4948002

>>4947984
Sorry, I read it so long ago I made some mistakes, there's 78 satellites each with a 12gb/s capacity, limit of 1gb/s per satellite dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMMStellation

>> No.4948008

>>4948002
I never really liked it, but I am actually glad companies and corporations are doing space shit instead of the government now.

>> No.4948011

>>4947995
What the fuck, they're going to spend that much money just for a 10 year lifespan?

>> No.4948012

>>4948011
Reasons!

>> No.4948014

>>4948011
At least they are trying to do something.

>> No.4948029

Man Google has so much fucking money they are doing amazing things. they are changing the world faster than anyone else right now. Though i hope the other company's like apple stay in the picture. a monopoly would suck. They are like apple, Microsoft, Comcast and yahoo all in one. I have always been a fan but i hope they dot go too far.

But hey they did (with help of coarse) save us from SOPA

>> No.4948033

>>4948029
Google is probably the only company i'm not scared of but damn, if I could go back in time I would invest everything in google.

>> No.4948036

>>4948029
>implying SOPA was anything you needed to be saved from
>implying they didn't do it for their own self-interest
>implying no google botnets.

>> No.4948043

>>4947978
>implying they won't become corrupt with that much power
>implying they aren't already corrupt

>> No.4948052

>>4948043
>implying the people who make google great aren't the people scared of it becoming corrupt

I would be more scared if Apple did this

>> No.4948054

Damn, you sure laid it down hard. Have you guys ever heard of duckduckgo?

>> No.4948060

>>4948054
Yes. We all know google is a sellout.

>> No.4948065

>>4948029
In a sense, I'm supporting Google's projects. Many of them are for the betterment of the country/humanity itself. I think its the only giant company that I trust with my information at the moment.

>> No.4948067

those where mostly the points i was trying to make but i don't care if they killed sopa for themselves it needed to die

pretty out there on the dark side of the moon so im trying man but my mind has left my body

Google kills sopa
dude lands plane in Hudson river saving everyone

same fucking thing man that pilot was not a hero but those people where happy to be alive just as we are happy sopa is gone

>> No.4948082

>>4948067
you are glad SOPA is gone because of an irrational fear of it produced by Google and other large companies. It's like thanking for saving you from drowning when they're the ones who threw you in the pool. Do you even know what SOPA was?

>> No.4948117

im a simple man i just want free shit.

there are always rumors and conspiracies
who caused 9/11?
who killed Kennedy?

there are theories but for me it really dosnt fucking matter it happened and there is nothing a fucking puss like me can do about it. im just glad i wasnt in the tower and that i got a good show. im also glad whatever sopa was is gone i never heard a thing i like about it and i can still (for now) enjoy being a 2-bit nothing pirate that watches movies and is to happy in his ignorance to actual care about anything.

apparently i dont fucking know what sopa was but its gone now in great part to Google, Wikipedia, and people like you, thank you!

>> No.4948158

>>4948082

Goddamn it you fucking retard. Many of us do follow what congress does, do watch cspan, and know what the fuck is going on when a bill gets put through. Many more hear the details second hand from the bloggers and agencies that cover it. Unfortunately cspan started throwing a fit recently when people were uploading cspan clips to youtube that showed how retarded congressmen are on the floor to the general public so we can't do that anymore. This then gets very rarely gets picked up by mainstream media to a very limited extent and always with a lot of pushback from political and corporate groups who stand to benefit from the law. Afterwards few large internet companies start to choose sides which generally results in either praise or blowback (GoDaddy dudes were in support of SOPA, but once they made mention of this a lot of the people hosting their websites on them started abandoning in droves, so they backtracked and apologized desperately to save face). After this other large companies see this as a way to either make some statement or more importantly to benefit from the gravy train of praise. This tends to create a self-reenforcing system where support grows for the movement really quickly. It is at this point that retards like you jump in and say "oh look at all these sheeple being controlled by google herp derp".

continued in next post

>> No.4948163
File: 33 KB, 313x313, reaction - angry 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4948158

People like you piss me off so goddamn much. The same shit happened when anonops was helping anons in tunisia/egypt/etc.., then it became viral across twitter, facebook, and blogs, then al jazeera started having some limited contact with anonops, then it all started spiraling on even more until a year down the road we have Nato doing airstrikes in Libya and retards like you were jumping in saying "notice how no one has even heard about this at all until now, it's obviously government brainwashing everyone into another war herpa derpa".

YES I MAD, AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE EVEN POSTED IN THIS THREAD

>> No.4948198

>>4948158
>>4948163
jesus christ, no need to be upset kid. what i stated wasn't wrong. most people did not form their own opinions on what SOPA was. They simply heard the gist of it from companies like google, who obviously had a vested interest in getting the bill shutdown. As a result, its drawbacks tended to get exaggerated even though the vast majority had no clue what the bill actually entailed. The point was not about people being sheeple, it was about praising google for something that it doesn't deserve praise for.
>Many of us do follow what congress does, do watch cspan, and know what the fuck is going on when a bill gets put through
but most don't. they are fine with second hand accounts of what the bill is and don't bother being informed before making a decision. just because you didn't doesn't mean you're representative of the majority, don''t be an autist. The guy even admitted he had no clue what it was. the rest of your post devolved into a strawman. calm down.

>> No.4948217

>>4948198

It just pisses me off when groups like the EFF work their ass off to protect privacy and the internet and then idiots show up at the last second and say it's government doing it or big business or google because they want your datas. EFF made TOR for crying out loud.

>> No.4948227

>>4948217
well it just pisses ME off when people make uninformed decision or criticize something without even understanding it. It's not about whether the bill was truly bad or not, it's that few bothered to actually look at what the bill was. I don't feel safe knowing the majority of people can make decisions so easily. it might have ended well in this case, but what about when they are lied to about a bill that is actually harmful to them?

>> No.4948236

>>4947978
>So soon we'll have Google fiber internet,
among others; they aren't alone in tech

>Google self-driving cars,
IF they ever do anything right about it (and no one else is close, either)

>Google smartphones,
not even close to alone, but being done pretty well

>Google glasses,
vaporware -- no one should have fallen for that BS press conference.
They had almost nothing figured out beyond what people had years ago.

>and use Google for almost all web based services at one point or another.
That is a failure of users; Google has never been alone in that respect,
and arguably is neither best nor special at those tasks.

>> No.4948341

>>4948236

I'm not that guy, but I wanted to answer.

>>Google self-driving cars,
>IF they ever do anything right about it (and no one else is close, either)

They actually have a really successful self driving car. It's the urban version of Stanford's Self Driving car that won Darpa's Stanley Cup challenge (where they had to drive across the desert completely automated). The professor who worked on it taught a class on coursera with a lot of explanations over how it used machine learning in combination with laser sensors and other shit. Really crazy cool by the way. He's actually going to be teaching another course covering just the self driving car and all of it's systems. The Urban version is a smaller vehicle that works on a lot of the same technology but is actually much more sophisticated because it has to deal with traffic, streets, lanes, obstructions, pedestrians, etc.. Back when they first announced it they had already had it driving on it's own all over San Francisco for months (with a human sitting in the car just in case, though they never once had to intervene). The real reason it probably hasn't become available to the consumer is because of the computational power it requires and all of the sensors (it doesn't rely on gps alone to figure out where it is, instead it analyzes it's surroundings with cameras and lasers to calculate where it is/what lane/surroundings/etc..).

continued in next post

>> No.4948344

>>4948341

>>Google glasses,
>vaporware -- no one should have fallen for that BS press conference.
>They had almost nothing figured out beyond what people had years ago.
They've already launched the google glasses to beta users who paid 1,500 dollars to get in early. It's still up in the air whether it will be vaporware, but keep in mind, the way google operates it essentially throws everything at the wall and sees what sticks. Google wave for example was supposed to be the next big thing, they even bought out etherpad for it and pushed it to a ton of corporate users. After it launched no one used it and many that did found it either confusing or largely useless so it was discontinued. It's also worth noting that they're not the only ones doing this.

Personally, the initiative I like most about google is their digitalization of libraries of books. They show up at libraries with a bunch of equipment and start scanning tons of books nonstop really fast. Archive.org and others sued them because they were doing something similar but at a much smaller scope and planning to charge a lot more for the books once online. Their lawsuit was basically garbage trying to argue that because google was going so fast that they couldn't be sure to verify copyrights on old books, especially those older books from the time period where copyright lifetime extended from 50 years to 70. Yes, Archive.org and other companies were trying to stifle digitalization of books so that they could profit under it by claiming that it was hurting people who bought copyrights from long dead authors way back in the day.

People may say what they will, but google does a lot of amazing shit.