[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 52 KB, 450x324, scared.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4934035 No.4934035 [Reply] [Original]

>Accepted to grad school at a different university than undergrad
>Doing new research over the summer there
>Still working on research with a professor from undergrad university

>Old advisor misunderstands a result
>Sent a draft of the research paper to me
>too busy with new research to look through it
>He submits it to the referee with this error which completely changes the result of the paper.

>Going to have to tell him that the responses he just gave to referee questions and the new sections in the paper say the complete opposite of what they should.

I'm kind of panicking. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone? It hasn't been published yet but it's still going to look bad no?
I feel like an idiot for not checking the draft version he sent me more thoroughly, I just didn't have time, and I was sure he knew what to put, he's very smart, I think I just did a terrible job of explaining the result in my email and he got the wrong idea.

>> No.4934044

OP here.

This is the second time we are submitting the paper, the first time I checked the paper very thoroughly before he submitted it,

it's just that we had to do some small extensions on the work (additional simulations) before they would accept it. So it's more like an additional paragraph as an afterthought which is wrong.
The majority of the paper is still fine. Is it as bad as I think it is?

It's not as bad as if the entire paper was wrong or anything, but it still feels bad.

>> No.4934053

'fess up, admit your mistake, contact the publisher and get another correction through or, if already published, an errata

mistakes happen all the time, don't worry about that, but it'll bite you in the ass if you get called out on it (which may or may not happen eventually)

>> No.4934070

>>4934053
Hasn't been published, he just sent the revision and the responses to the referee last night. They probably haven't even looked at it yet.

>> No.4934074

I'm just glad he already wrote my recommendation letters and I got accepted to a PhD program before this happened.
That thought is what has kept me a bit more calm that I would normally be.

>> No.4934092

>do undergrad research
>responsible for encoding all of the data in logic blocks

>mfw nobody check up on my work
>mfw they are going to publish this
>mfw i have no face

>> No.4934142

why are you corresponding over email and not face to face?
why didn't you check the results thoroughly?
try and get it fixed asap

>> No.4934158

Wait until it's published and write a rebuttal paper against yourself.

>> No.4934187

>>4934142
I'm doing summer research at the university I got accepted to for graduate school.

Unless you meant to use skype or something?

>>why didn't you check the results thoroughly?
Cause I'm a dumbass.
It was only a paragraph addition to the first paper we submitted, so I shouldn't have been so lazy and read it more carefully instead of glancing over it, but it's hard to be motivated about almost completed old undergraduate research with someone you will probably never work with again, when you are doing new research at your graduate institution.