[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 177 KB, 640x513, galaxy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4914578 No.4914578 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking to get into some amateur astronomy. Any advice for picking out a first telescope?

>> No.4914656

see some youtube tutorials for what to buy. Different telescopes serve a different purpose, depending on what you wish to use it for.

>> No.4914741

Go to stargazerslounge. They will tell you what's shit honestly. Lot's of people will try to sell you stuff or convince you that the telescope they spent a lot of money on isn't shit.

The best option is to go to a star party. If you don't look though a similar scope before spending a lot of money there's a possibility you'll feel ripped off and hate it.

>> No.4914774

Three tips

1. Do your research. Online or at the library. Learn what type of telescope works best for different kinds of observations.

2. Know what you want to get out of your telescope. If you're happy just looking at planets and nebula - you don't need a $1000 telescope.

3. Start looking for good observation sites, someplace far away from city lights (or at least far away from downtown if you can't get out of the city)

>> No.4914794

Do you live in an urban area ? Do you have the opportunity of getting away from the light pollution ?

>> No.4915087
File: 38 KB, 500x500, Orion Starblast 4.5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here. I live in a small town, so light pollution is fairly minimal. I also live close to the mountains, so I plan on doing some stargazing up there.

Any preference between reflectors and refractors? I've been considering the Orion Starblast 4.5.