[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 99 KB, 236x176, 1277795639869.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4886145 No.4886145 [Reply] [Original]

okay /sci/
I want to do something with my life
in other words, I want to make a lot of money

I'm fairly good at 'inventing', I have a nack for understanding physics concepts
I've 'invented' an ungodly amount of totally random shit, I think of something probably every week

The problem is I'm not focused, I have no direction, and my actual understanding of science is sadly very Very underdeveloped.

So here's what I'm asking, what type of science should I devout money and time into learning that either lacks a lot of innovation or simply has a lot of room for new innovation? Disregard statistics concerning the average salary with a person with a working knowledge of any science subject, this is more about freelancing for money.

>I'D ALSO LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR INVENTIONS
I don't hear about people inventing things often so I don't know if the trait is common and everybody is hiding their ideas or if I might actually be good at something.

>> No.4886156

>innovation
If you want to be a real inventor don't use that word.
That word is only used to describe hacks who steal existing technology, tweak it, and then claim that it's their own work. They use that word because if they outright claimed they invented something that they didn't they'd get sued.

>> No.4886188

>>4886156
alright sounds fair

I wouldn't at all say I'm an innovator in that case, I'm so unaware of the scientific world that I'm a blank canvas, anything I invent is either invented already unknown to me or completely original.

But I think right now inventing is actually a good business, because academia has so many people caught up endlessly studying, there's no time for investing or creating
On the other side of the spectrum there's people who are simply too stupid to invent anything
Everybody else thinks that there's no room for invention aside from making cellphones smaller or putting a whole bunch of other ideas together to make something we already have better.

And anybody who does have the mind to create something new and usable lacks the confidence to put time or money into it.

I think I'd like to get into robotics, as I see a LOT of human work being done where robots could be used, especially in quality control for small parts. But I don't know what kind of pay out small task specific robots would give me other than pampering a resume for a nicer job later.