[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 265 KB, 1600x878, scr00007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4875493 No.4875493 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a more god-tier environment for intelligent life than orbiting a gas giant on one of several habitable moons?

>> No.4875503

Intelligent life will be evolved to fit whatever environment it originated in. What you're doing is called "Anthropocentrism" (wiki)

>> No.4875504

I wonder what the likelihood of panspermia would between habitable moons.

>> No.4875507

Wouldn't living on a moon result in some really weird day/night cycles?
FYI I haven't really done any actual research on the subject.

>> No.4875510

Don't those moons undergo severe tidal stresses from their host planets?

>> No.4875615

>>4875503
Your post has nothing to do with the original post.

>> No.4875619

>>4875507
Day and night would still be dictated by the rotation of the body on which one resides. The main difference would be the glow of the gas giant at night and the eclipsing of the Sun due to the gas giant.

>> No.4875626

>>4875510
That depends on how close they are to the gas giant and how big the gas giant is. A very large gas giant produces less tidal stress and more space for moons to orbit.

>> No.4875640

>>4875615
My post explains that there is no such thing as a "god-tier environment for intelligent life". Wherever intelligent life exists it will be adapted to its environment. To assume that there is a "tier list" of conditions beneficial to intelligent life, especially since we know of only one example of it is anthropocentric

>> No.4875647

The Moon was a strong motivation for Earthlings to explore space. Seeing another habitable body in the night sky would be an even stronger motivator. Plus the easily visible orbits and rotations of the moons and the gas giant would make orbitable mechanics almost immediately understandable to the inhabitants of those moons, unlike the trouble us humans had coming up with orbital mechanics.

>> No.4875649

Well, I always thought it would be great to come from a super-low g world, so when I went travelling to other planets(higher g of course) I'd come home younger than everyone else.

>> No.4875686

>>4875640
Having easily accesible worlds to colonize is good for an intelligetn species no matter what form they take. What did you think the OP was implying to be good if not the accessibility of other inhabitable worlds?

>> No.4875688

>>4875649
Low g worlds can't hold an atmosphere, obviously.

>> No.4875705

>>4875686
I don't think you understand the power of anthropocentrism. Try using logic to understand relativity for example. Or take a look at this thread
>>4875256

Nor do you seem to understand science in that stating something supported with nothing but arguments isn't how it's done. Until you have sufficient data you must accept the null-hypo which in this case is that we don't know

>> No.4875718

>>4875705
>I don't think you understand the power of anthropocentrism. Try using logic to understand relativity for example. Or take a look at this thread
Honestly, WTF are your you talking about? You need to be more explicit. I can't read your mind.

>> No.4875723
File: 14 KB, 595x467, face080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw the astronauts of the Apollo program land on Earth's sister moon and lay the way for thousands of colonists and their settlement of alien worlds

>> No.4875728

>>4875718
If you don't know what I'm talking about you should read up on the things you make claims about. Making the claims you do without understanding and recognizing the terms i use is like trying to do physics without knowing math

>> No.4875745

>>4875728
You have no idea who I am. This isn't a matter of my ignorance, it's a matter of your posts not making sense. Your posts have little to do with this thread. You might have well have posted the single word "anthropocentrism", because you have done little to elaborate on why anthropocentrism is relevant given the topic of the benefit of having several habitable worlds on one's celestial doorstep.

>> No.4875758

>>4875745

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the NAvy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top snuper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with my precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak, I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't and now you're paying the price you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

>> No.4875760

>>4875723
And that "sister moon" is named Venus. And don't forget the slightly less habitable moon, Mars.

>> No.4875765

>>4875758
>you little bitch
Watch out, we've got an internet tough guy up in here!

>> No.4875767

>>4875758
>>4875765
Is this a meme? I don't even know.

>> No.4875770

>>4875765
>>4875767

Jesus Christ it's copypasta
And one of the more popular ones

>> No.4875771

>>4875758
Could this be the start of an epic new meme?

>> No.4875777

>>4875745
You assume that it is a benefit. You have nothing to back this up except what seems like logical reasoning from your frame of reference. What you're doing works fine most of the time when talking about "everyday stuff", but this is neither everyday stuff nor is it how science is done.

what you could say is: "I believe that it would be beneficial for human development if we had several worlds habitable to carbon-based life as it evolved on earth on our celestial doorstep. I also believe that eventual life on other planets will share the criterion with humans of what makes something suitable for habitation and that it would be beneficial to their development as well but because we have literally zero data on this it remains only a guess"

>> No.4875779
File: 25 KB, 380x260, saganwithplanets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As I see it, one of the hurdles in the way of the development of habitable ecosystems on moons orbiting gas giants is that moons that are relatively close to the gas giant would be exposed to obscene amounts of radiation.

Io, for example, receives roughly 40 sieverts of radiation exposure per day.

An exposure of ~20 sieverts killed physicist Louis Slotin at Los Alamos in 1946. Slotin died of acute radiation poisoning just over a week after his exposure.

That's not to say it's impossible, but you'd need very specific conditions for a habitable moon to develop.

>> No.4875795

Yes. As >>4875647 said as well as having multiple moons to colonize. Depending on the contents, ore and such, of the different moons you could have a moon for nothing but factories, mines, etc so the host moon wouldn't become polluted.

>> No.4875793

>>4875779
There is even life on earth which is pretty much impervious to radiation. There is also life that lives in boiling or frozen water. You're doing the error of assuming that something that is a big problem for humans would be a big problem to life evolved under different circumstances

>> No.4875799

>>4875777
And life might exist in the neutronium oceans of neutron stars. What's your point? That absurdly alien forms of life may come to exist in stellar systems even more beneficial to these very alien forms of intelligent life than several Earth-like environments orbiting a single planet to a species originating in an Earth-like environment? Do you want to go down the entire list of forms of life that Stephen Baxter has come up with?

Unless you have an environment for such alien forms of life in mind, you are wasting everyone's time.

>> No.4875804

>>4875793
Individual organisms - perhaps. But you can't build an entire ecosystem an a handful of organisms.

>> No.4875808

>>4875795
Also one catastrophic event, ie nuclear war or being hit my an asteroid, wouldn't cause the species to become extinct.

>>4875804
There would be more than a few. The reason only a handful of organisms on earth can withstand it is because most don't need to.

>> No.4875807

>>4875779
Moons would only be exposed to "obscene amounts of radiation" if they were in the planet's radiation belt, otherwise I assume they would be protected by not only their own magnetosphere but that of the gas giant.

>> No.4875814

>>4875795
>>4875808
Yeah, until the race of people on the industrial world get fed up toiling away for the benefit of the garden worlders and decide to declare their independence by launching 1 million nuclear warheads at their soon to be desert dwelling neighbors.

>> No.4875820

>>4875799
>And life might exist in the neutronium oceans of neutron stars. What's your point?
that is precisely the point. It is impossible to make any sort of prediction within acceptable probability ratings about what might/might not be beneficial to "absurdly alien forms" because there exist no data for it. everything else is armchair speculation, not science

>>4875804
You do realize that pretty much per definition they will be rare on earth since those conditions are also rare on earth? If all the oceans boil over they will become the dominant life on earth which will exponentially increase the amount of evolutionary paths available.

>> No.4875833

>>4875820
>that is precisely the point. It is impossible to make any sort of prediction within acceptable probability ratings about what might/might not be beneficial to "absurdly alien forms" because there exist no data for it. everything else is armchair speculation, not science
If that is all you were saying and you didn't even have an alternative in mind then you are wasting everyone's time.

>> No.4875840
File: 87 KB, 512x696, 1342120175732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4875833

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the NAvy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top snuper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with my precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak, I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't and now you're paying the price you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

>> No.4875841

>>4875833
an alternative would fall under "armchair speculation, not science" that is what people do on /pol/

>> No.4875850

>>4875841
/pol/ is racism, racism, nationalism, and racism. There is no speculation.

>> No.4875852

>>4875840
>slowpoke.jpg

>> No.4875854
File: 45 KB, 512x384, face091.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4875841
Did you not read the original post?

>> No.4875859
File: 40 KB, 600x575, 1342118768633.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4875852

>> No.4875863

You'd have a pretty awesome stable orbit orbiting a gas giant wouldn't you? I mean, that's a pretty important aspect of developing intelligent life, no?

>> No.4875869

don't mention fucking /pol/, please everyone. We'll just get flooded with jewish conspiracy spam and "why won't you listen to our ideas if you're so open minded" comments. We /sci/entists are like smurfs living under the shadow of gargomel with them so close. So I think it'd be smurfy if we didn't alert him to our presence.

>> No.4875884

>>4875863
I believe it would indeed be a more stable orbiting a gas giant than not. The gravitational gradient would allow for any rotational funny business.

>> No.4875888

>>4875869
>We /sci/entists are like smurfs living under the shadow of gargomel with them so close. So I think it'd be smurfy if we didn't alert him to our presence.
ROFLMAO! I'm dying!

>> No.4875899
File: 20 KB, 406x395, FUCKING DON DRAPER.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4875900

>>4875619
that could be very interesting for an intelligent race, to evolve to compensate for gas giant eclipses (Which might happen a lot)

>> No.4875911

Seeing alien worlds so nearby filled with utterly separate lineages of life would also give the inhabitants of such worlds great insight into how common life is throughout the universe.

>> No.4875919

>>4875900
Nights would be like 5% longer for 5% of the days. It wouldn't matter that much.