[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 68 KB, 540x875, 1307378525642.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4870998 No.4870998 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/, I have some questions -

First about If light is invisible, and second about we dont know 96% of what the universe is made of -

Firstly, I remember hearing that apparently light is invisible, you can only see what it hits? In the sense that, if you were in a vacuum, and someone shot a light beam across your eyes, you wouldnt be able to see it? Is this true / thoughts?

Secondly, the BBC wrote an article after the higgs-boson was confirmed, and it stated that we still dont know what 96% of the universe is, is this true? I thought the higgs-boson tied the standard model together which means we now know how everything works?

Many thanks for your time, I'll info-dump or something for you guys.

>> No.4871018
File: 227 KB, 800x3640, 1273325456548.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bomp

>> No.4871034

1. The only way you can see things is if light bounces off that thing and in to your eye. Think about it. How could you possibly see something if there was no information being passed between it and you. Light bounces in to your eyes, and your brain pieces this information together.

2. The Standard Model is not everything. It doesn't include gravity, and it doesn't include dark matter or dark energy. This dark matter and dark energy is the 96% we don't know. It's called dark because we don't know much about it. It's just a placeholder name. We know something must be there because of the way galaxies are attracted to each other, normal matter isn't enough to account for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

>> No.4871036

>>4871034

Awesome, thank you very much friend :DD

>> No.4871037

Light is pretty much the only thing you can see.

>> No.4872777

Of course you can see light, your eyes catch it so you can see, how ever i guess you mean if you could see a beam of photons, then the answer is not, as the photons reach their destination on the instant that they are emited, on a photon point of view, that's because time does not pass for photons as they go at the speed of light. Cool isn't it?

Second the Standard Model is complete, yeah. But the "standard model" does not cover everything, people just mix all that up. The standard model does not yet include gravity and the existence of dark matter and dark energy (with conform that 96% we dont know what it is, thats why we call it "dark") is not yet confirm, without it the big bang does not make mathematical sense (well, it does not make mathematical sense even with it btw)