[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 388 KB, 1280x1024, bdb77f9c086babce3d5a0938a162b6b4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4848034 No.4848034 [Reply] [Original]

Any of you guys teachers?
If so, let me know how you like it, and give some advice for going in such a field.
I'm thinking about going to school to be a Chemistry teacher.

>> No.4848088

bump because i need help figuring out what to do with my fucking life.

>> No.4848093

Do you remember how the common kid saw Chemistry when they were in school?

Do you really want to deal with brats like that for a living?

>> No.4848094

it's a pretty average job really, you are stuck teaching the basics over and over and unless you really enjoy helping people understand shit you reteach every year, and the simplest level of shit, then go for it. otherwise if you want to get into teaching, look into becoming a professor of some advanced topic

>> No.4848111

I do a lot of TA work at university. Does that count?

I really enjoy it, in any case.

>> No.4848113

I still remember my first chemistry class. In clasroom there was huge table, I mean realy huge. My chemistry professor spilled something all over it and made it burn. It was realy cool.

>> No.4848190
File: 39 KB, 388x512, Carl_Sagan1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're going into secondary education (high school) you're going to want to look at some kind of certification program. You have several options there:

If you're already in college, you could look at doing an MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) program for grad school instead of an MS program. A lot of colleges will let you teach with an MAT as well so that opens up more job opportunities.

If you haven't started college yet you could look into a Chemistry program that has a combined BA/BS and MAT option. Alternatively some colleges that offer these kinds of programs will let you switch over provided your GPA is good and you've completed enough of the Bacherlor's coursework.

Alternatively, many states offer certification programs for graduates with only Bachelor degrees. Here in Iowa for example you can earn provisional licensure in about a year or so and work your way up to a standard license over the course of a few years.

If you definitely want to go into education, more power to you - there's a serious shortage of secondary science and math educators in this country right now. If you're not completely sure, I'd recommend going for a BS first and going for an MAT later if you decide that's what you want.

Hope this helps you out.