[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 26 KB, 400x400, hydrogen-atom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4845394 No.4845394 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, would a small-scale hydrogen generator be efficient enough to extract enough H from water in the air to continuously power a small propulsion system based on H combustion?

In other words, is a personal flight suit powered using H generation from water in the air possible?

>> No.4845406

how would you get energy from the H after extracting it from the water?

fusion?

>> No.4845414

>>4845406

I meant using the hydrogen directly as a fuel source via combustion.

>> No.4845419

>>4845414
Do you know what you get when you burn H?

Water.

You are asking if you can turn water into H and then back into water again, and somehow magic up some energy in the process.

>> No.4845418

If you're referring to stan meyer this is the wrong place to ask.

>> No.4845422

>>4845414
The hydrogen you're scooping up already oxidized; laws of thermo say you're never going to get a net energy gain by removing the oxygen then burning it again.

>> No.4845468

I can see this thread getting off topic real quick, so I'll intervene slightly. I propose that the H generator has an unlimited supply of energy to convert H2O to H. The question is, would one small enough to fit on a human being be able to generate enough H to use as a combustible for any sort of sustained flight.

>> No.4845580

why not then simply use this unlimited energy with a more direct actuator rather than combusting H?

>> No.4845599

Thermodynamics says no.

>> No.4845608

There was one company recently that developed some sort of catalyst compound that split water into hydrogen and oxygen with only sunlight. Incredibly efficient. Then the FBI came knocking and sued their business for distributing chemicals that could be used in making bombs or something. Can't remember the business, but it was on Wired.

>> No.4845625

>>4845468
>>has an unlimited supply of energy

Well seeing as we're just going into the realms of complete fucking fantasy, yes OP. Its perfectly possible.