[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 647x648, 1341115558003.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4834176 No.4834176 [Reply] [Original]

hey /sci/
I've always gotten decent grades in my science courses and I've always found them interesting. I'm alright at math but I don't love it. I hate the humanities.

So, I'm entering college next year. I was wondering what majors open the doors for exciting, fast paced careers in the future?

Well paying helps a lot

any input is appreciated

>> No.4834189

what country are you in?

there's no point saying "be a mining engineer" for example, if your country doesnt have any mines

>> No.4834214

>>4834189
I live in the USA, Boston area. Lots of family works in the medical field. It seems interesting, but I've heard it's shit.

>> No.4834247

depends what you do. i worked as a clinical research associate for a large pharma.

i liked it, you run clinical trials, get to ttravel a lot and its interesting most of the time.

boston is good for biomed, my personal advice is to study computer science and biology. not many people do it so if you are good at both you will do very well

>> No.4834249

Petroleum engineering

>> No.4834274

>>4834247
what specific jobs would that pairing open the door for
>>4834249
nah

>> No.4834284

Get someone to evaluate your skills.
then aim for careers that require those and which stimulate you.

There is a lot of value in the old saying about a job you like means you never work.
There's another layer to the same idea: a career you are good at is also the one that will reward you better.

>> No.4834285

molecular and cellular biology, that would give you a lot of opportunities to go into many different research fields, all of which are in demand and rising. the next huge breakthrough will most likely be in genetics, whether it be a more advanced version of gene therapy or life expansion.

if you're not in love with math then stay away from physics and other math fields or you will be shit bored out of your mind.

>> No.4834471
File: 368 KB, 308x230, 1341066486106.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4834601

>>4834274

I can't give you specific job titles, i just think it will allow you to have a lot of opportunities in the future.

the combination of skills is useful in things like modeling what medication will do in someone's body (pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics), working out what genes do (check out companies like 23 and me), planning for how diseases will spread (epidemiology) etc.

also, there's a software boom on in general and that includes in pharma/biotech. a lot of new software is being developed for it.

if you're looking for something in pharma or biotech which is not a technical job look into sales. you need to have the personality for it but they make lots of money. your reletives probbably know some pharma sales people, talk to them and see if it's something you're interested in

>> No.4834720

>>4834601
this man speaks the truth