[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 266 KB, 1000x697, James_Tissot_-_Faust_and_Marguerite_in_the_Garden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4823759 No.4823759 [Reply] [Original]

Sup.
Does anyone have tips regarding how to "reverse" a definite integral?
Or, in a more understandable way: How do you find the integral that gives you a desired value?
The background of my question is just a practice problem from Uni, but the question itself interests me. In the case of the Uni problem, it was rather simple; The function must not be constant, and the value of the integral must equal 7. Any hints?

>> No.4823766

it's impossible for any integral of a non-constant function to be a constant

because the derivative of a constant is a constant (namely, 0)

either that or I'm just not getting the question

>> No.4823774

using polynomials, you can make a definite integral with any value. in fact, you can do it with any given polynomial degree and integral interval using scalars:
for example, the integral of x^2 from 0 to 1 is 1/3, so the integral of 21*x^2 from 0 to 1 is 7, which should be a solution to your problem.

you could also take 7/4*x^3 from 0 to 2. as a general rule in calculus, you can pretty much design a polynomial to do whatever you need.

>> No.4823782

>>4823774
here

i also just realized that you can simply use a linear function to do what you need. suppose you want the area to be 7, just integrate 7x/2 from 0 to 2. you basically just have to use geometry to make a triangle of the desired area, and then make it into a function. it's the same idea as using polynomials except this is much easier since it's linear.