[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 12 KB, 239x239, eulogo1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4819319 No.4819319 [Reply] [Original]

so /sci/ in septmeber i'll start my physics degree in edinburgh. any advice? plus, how much money does an average professor or researcher earn in the UK? and in the US? that figure is expected to lower or rise in the next years?

>> No.4819326

What's it like having multiple personalities?

>> No.4819329
File: 7 KB, 320x180, mqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4819326
I have no idea what you're talking about.

>> No.4819331

If you wan't to be a physics you should know that before you become an academic (most are not professors) you have to be a postdoc for many years. Before landing an academic position (competitive, not guarantee of ever getting one) security is horrible and the pay is bad. If you're worried about money research is not the place for you.

Now concentrate on your degree for the next 4 years, in 2 you can start picking your career but you may well drop out in 1. It's a bit premature to start thinking about these things.

>> No.4819332

>pure research
>money
pick one

Seriously, you're not going to get rich. If research institutes are publicly funded they probably have disclosure. The average assistant professor at a 4-year US research university is going to make about $80,000. It may have inflated, but then again budgets are tight. For a more nuanced view, look at budget disclosure from Sandia/Brookhaven/Fermilab/Los Alamos/etc.

If you work for IBM or Intel the salary will start with a 1, but the environment will be far more corporate and political.

>> No.4819348

>>4819326
?
>>4819332
>>4819331
i'm not really into money, and i know what expects me on this side, otherwise i wouldnt have picked physics...thank you anyway

>> No.4819353

>>>/adv/

>> No.4819399

Actually physicists get paid very well, in from Mexico studying my masters in physics and I can tell you that it is one of the top two paying professions in Mexico. And before anyone starts making fun of Mexico the institute I’m talking about is internationally well regarded (CINVESTAV)
So there you go, you can study what you like and get paid well

>> No.4819403

>>4819332
If you join IBM, us computer engineers can boss your around and occasionally take a shit on you.

>> No.4819423

>>4819399
Do you have some advice for a young anon that hasn't decided between an engineer degree or physics?

>> No.4819501

>>4819399
I study at ESFM, and i was thinking of studying at cinvestav, but i'm not sure if i should continue at ESFM on my master's degree or if i should go to cinvestav, what do you i should do?

captcha:
convocación itestns

>> No.4819533

>>4819501
It depends on what are your particular interests (if you have them defined), because the study plan in Cinvestav is more of a theoretical kind. So the courses you take are the classics, EM 1 &2, QM 1&2, mechanics, statistical mechanics etc. But totally worth it, I’d say go for. There are many graduates that have great working positions in top schools like Stanford, mit, etc.

>> No.4819544

>>4819423
I think they are both very rich study areas, but it really depends on the way you like to view things and work. For instance in engineering you take a lot of math and physics but in a way that resembles learning to use a tool for the purpose of doing something else, like learning to use a hammer so you can build a bird house, which is very cool don’t get me wrong.
But in physics you have to understand why and where do all this mathematical tools and interpretations and physical concepts work and to use them to explain what is happening.
They both have ups and downs.
Not sure if it helps or you’d like a more specific opinion?

>> No.4819553

>>4819423
if you become an engineer you get to be a boss of physicists

>> No.4819565

>Hai guys I haven't started my undergrad yet, how much should I expect my cheque to be next September when I am professor????

>> No.4819579

>>4819544
Thanks, that's what i thought, and I'm leaning towards the latter, but what's holding me back is something people keep telling me, that here, the only place I'd get work is in a high school

>> No.4819592

>>4819579
People tend to make negative comments to something they don’t know about, and because the average person can immediately visualize places where a doctor can work, or where can a dentist work but can’t do it with other types of profession doesn’t mean that there aren’t work opportunities
There is a lot of work to be done in everything related with physics, that’s what nobody tells you

>> No.4819605

>>4819592
That's true, well, fortunately I have 1 more year to think about it, now I should only choose where to study the physics degree, thank you for the advice man.

>> No.4819892

>>4819533
Thanks for the advice.