[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 90 KB, 425x319, 425_caveman_lawyer2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4808715 No.4808715 [Reply] [Original]

Personal story thread!

What has happened to you in your life that would have killed you in the wild under other circumstances? In short, thanks to modern medicine, how many times have you avoided death? What has science done for you, personally, that would have been a death sentence 10,000 years ago? Doesn't have to be traumatic or exciting though those are the best examples. I'll go first.

- testicular torsion (ball swivels around in sac), had corrective surgery. Would have been left to die in the wild writhing in pain

- broken clavicle, set by doctor, wouldn't have been able to defend myself with crippled arm/shoulder

- several ingrown toenails fixed that would have led to life threatening infections

- cavities and root canals, if they hadn't been dealt with I wouldn't be able to eat. Dead.

- vaccines, have stepped on rusty nails

- had a lazy eye when I was a kid, fixed by watching TV with red/green lenses to correct muscles. Would have been useless and stumble constantly during any hunt/chase, unable to see straight

How about you guys?

>> No.4808719

I've only injured myself once, a 2nd degree burn on half my face, neck, and shoulder. Would've gotten badly infected probably if left untreated, thanks to modern miracle cream I don't even have scars or even discoloration. Never mix alcohol and science, that's the moral.

>> No.4808818

>Someone invented concrete fiber glass, and plumbing
>then they invented the pool
> then as an infant i nearly drown in the pool
>then they remembered they had invented CPR >then they brought me back

>> No.4808823

I guess mandated vaccines?

I don't have a lot of medical history.

>> No.4808834

Believe it or not but people in the wild dont die 9 times a day trivialities like the hiccups.

http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/faculty/gurven/papers/GurvenKaplan2007pdr.pdf

Problems like rusty nails wouldnt exist in the wild. In addition, modern concerns about tooth decay are partially as a result of a shift in environment away from the wild.

>> No.4808840

>>4808715
I had a lazy eye too.
Had corrective surgery.
The doctors told me that even though the surgery helps to make the eye seem better, it is impossible for people with strabismus to achieve stereoscopic vision. What did they tell you?

>> No.4808847

I had pneumonia when I was 10 and my lungs filled up with fluid. They removed half of one of my lungs to fix it. it probably would have killed me were it not for modern medicine.

>> No.4808855

>>4808847
did they try giving you penicillin first? removing part of your lung seems excessive.

>> No.4808862

Funny though i look at all the fat people now and think. that this society is killing them.
Where as if they were to live in the wild they would have great metabolism for storing energy.

>> No.4808866

Umbilical cord wrapped around my neck. If it weren't for somewhat modern medicine, I would have died. I'm pretty sure someone 200 years ago could figure it out. But being born on some planes to a couple of nomads would be bad.

>> No.4808867

>>4808866
Riddick?

>> No.4808879

>>4808855
Yes I remember taking lots of horse pills but it escalated really badly somehow. I wish i understood it more. i don't think i'll ever be good enough for medicien but im doing a research project for computational biology/bioinformatics with some hope of helpingpeople

>> No.4808894

Probably just the fact that I wear glasses. My eyesight is baaaaaaaad, like super, almost-legally-blind kind of bad. Without them, "living in the wild," while I'm sure it's possible I could have adapted through using my other senses, there's still a fairly good chance I'd have been killed at an early age by something I just plain couldn't see coming.

>> No.4808924

Wow, so much genetically human defect there, not surprising considering i am on /sci/

Never had any problems.

>> No.4809335

I have perfect genes and thus have never had to rely on medical science to live.

Modern medicine is one of the biggest contributors to our population becoming 96% plebeian scum.

>> No.4809341

ma-husive asthma attack, five days in hospital with an IV which was fun
>all hail the NHS

>> No.4809358

Appendicitis, really bad ear infection and then tooth death

>> No.4809508

>got hand cut off in fight with man who turned out to be my father
>doctors get me robot hand
>can't use the force with that hand

>> No.4809526

Wow, op is like a monster.

I have had.

Nothing.

Nothing atall.

Nothing ever threatened my life.
Scottish master race?

>> No.4809539

Nothing.

Hell, the last time I've seen a doctor was over ten years ago.

>> No.4809546

>eosinophilic granuloma
had two benign tumors, one on my spine and one on my head. I had to wear a back brace for a whole year. I also had a surgery done on my head to remove the second tumor.
>tfw be 8 years old and had so much sympathy it was falling out of my pockets.

>> No.4809616

>>4808715
Ingrown toenails were probably caused by shoes. Science invented the problem

>> No.4809666

>>4808866
Same here.

>> No.4809678

>>4808715
-I'm gay
-My grandfather had glaucoma before I was born
-My grandmother had cancer before my father was born

>> No.4810186

>>4809678
But if you were born 5,000 years ago, you probably wouldn't be gay. Homosexuality is caused by modern chemicals in utero and by modern sexual dynamics (feminism, savage invaders, govt replacing the role of men)

>> No.4810214

>>4810186
Oldfag here, i knew gpeople in 500bc. Interestingly enoigh several of them were engineers.