[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 1400x900, wallpaper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4807969 No.4807969 [Reply] [Original]

Best ways to prep for the GRE? I've already downloaded everything off the ETS site and I got the ETS prep book. Anything specific that helped you guys. Also, majoring in applied mathematics.

>> No.4807983

piratebay some test prep software. It's not that hard. The hardest part is actually making sure you get everything correct. Even missing 1 question drops you multiple percentile points because the test is so easy. Missing a question early on destroys your score as the test adapts its difficulty to how well you do. Time and pacing are important. As cliched as it is, work quickly and accurate. Be decisive with your answer choices. I've taken the GRE, MCAT and LSAT and the GRE was by far the easiest.

At the end of the test you get an estimated score based on how many you got right/wrong. For example, my estimated scores were 730-800 and 760-800 on the reading/math respectively and that translated to 94%tile on both.

>> No.4807986

>>4807983
How did you do on the SAT/ACT? How does it compare in terms of difficulty and material?

>> No.4807993

>>4807986
700 reading
800 math

It's the same shit pretty much now that they've taken out the analogies. Just read the test prep stuff on the site and take the practice test. I felt it adequately prepared me.

>> No.4807994

>>4807993
No calculators on the GRE huh?

>> No.4807997

>>4807994
yeah but I never really needed one. There's a lot of geometry stuff.

>> No.4808001

Which GRE? The general (in the 2011 format) was a joke and probably still is. Verbal is just a matter of speaking English and memorizing the 500 word list. Math is all about time management and accuracy, since the test is adaptive and there are so few questions. Writing was bullshit, you get a 4.0+ if you speak English and can construct a 500 word essay that may have been a homework assignment in a freshman literature class.

GRE Physics is supposed to be hard, but pretty much like the practice tests.

GRE Math is brutal. Third party study aids are okay, but represent a MINIMUM of what you need to know. Only 1 publicly available ETS test gives an good feel for the difficult. The other 3 test are substantially easier. published test. My cohort went through 4 whole textbooks - the Princeton Review book, Steward and Dover overviews in linear algebra and basic analysis. We got destroyed on the October 2011 test. 12 weeks of work for ~10 percentile points. It was pointlessly divergent from published expectations.

>> No.4808002

>>4807997
What did you study undergrad, and where did you go?

How about for grad school?