[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 101 KB, 877x407, huh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4780800 No.4780800 [Reply] [Original]

Why don't corporations do something like this?

They would have a staff doctor, who would screen various engineers and other R&D people, looking for signs of exceptional intelligence. Once identified, these men and women would be offered a new position within the company.

The new job position would include a pay raise of 150%, or higher depending on the IQ and other factors of the person accepted, and would require at minimum a 6th month's contract.

If the person accepted, they would begin an amphetamine course, gradually increasing in strength (all monitored by the staff doctor for no charge) and would be required to work in collaboration with the rest of the group, but separate from the rest of the workforce.

Here they would brainstorm new ideas, and be free to use many more resources than is available to the rest of the company. They would be expected to work 12 hours at a time, while continuously monitored of course, and then have 12 hours off. Though they would not be allowed to leave the comapny grounds until their contract was up.

I don't see why this isn't done. If you got enough young, smart engineers and mathematicians together, pumped them full of stimulants, and let them work all day, who knows what we'd have. Obviously they would be constantly monitored so they would be in no real danger, and there would need to be a contract so they can't call the cops because they think they are being held captive.

I think there are plenty of people who would do this. A huge salary and the ability to just brainstorm all day would be a wonderful opportunity.

>> No.4780827

What is the point of a high salary when you are just a drugged up slave who can't leave.

Also you seriously don't see why companies woundn't do this?

Companies want to make money, not scientific breakthroughs, this would cost a lot of money and probably produce zero new products.

>> No.4780826

The first 3 lines made me think gattaca.

>> No.4780836

>>4780800

Intelligence is no guarantee of competence.

>> No.4780841

>>4780827
You can leave after 6 months or when your contract is up. If you have 0 expenses for 6 months, you're going to be sitting on a shit load of dosh when your contract is up.

Most companies have R&D departments, I'm suggesting a select few from these departments get selected to work on special products for the company. While it's not a guarantee of innovation, it's a pretty good shot at speeding it up.

>> No.4780849

>>4780800
you can't measure intelligence
/thread

>> No.4780855

>>4780841

I think the whole illegal drug use things would be a problem for the companies.

>> No.4780859
File: 1.75 MB, 200x293, 1339763149377.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why don't corporations offer salad for people who already have salad? What?

>> No.4780864

>>4780849
True, but you can identify good workers who can innovate quickly and make fewer mistakes than their coworkers.

>>4780855
If a doctor prescribes it, is it still illegal drug use?

>> No.4781004

bump

>> No.4781011

This is called racism op.

This is infact the definition of race superiority as Darwin defined it.

>> No.4781028

The post above me is gay

>> No.4781040

>>4781028
Did you know that the book you call "Origin of Species" Was originally called "Favored Races" ?

>> No.4781050

Smart people would be smart enough not to pump themselves full of drugs and destroy their bodies just for a bit of money.

>> No.4781057

>>4781040

What are you talking about? I'm new in this thread, cockmuncher.

>> No.4781063

>>4781028

You sound kinda cool though. Tell me something else

>> No.4781065

>>4781050
>all drug use monitored by a real doctor
>you are monitored by a physician at all times

There is very little risk.

>> No.4781068

OP, what you don't realize is that most real world problems can't just be solved by smarts. It helps, but no matter how smart you are, big projects take a shit load of time, and a shit load of work. Research takes a shit load of time and work. What are you going to do when you pay someone a high salary for 6 months, they are basically in training for 3-4 months, and then at the end of the 4th month they find out the tool they've been training with doesn't work properly, and will take possibly 2 months to fix?

>> No.4781069

>>4781063

I meant

>>4781040

>> No.4781075

>>4781065
Little risk of immediate death doesn't mean you aren't hurting your body.

>> No.4781209

>>4780836
Lack of intelligence is a guaranty of lack of competence

>> No.4781229

According to john cleese, studies show that creativity requires downtime.

Also instead of 12h on 12h off, you would be better off allowing the workers to determine their own schedule, just set productivity goals.

>> No.4781370
File: 27 KB, 364x366, hank-hill-is mildly impress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There are some problems that can be solved with the application of high IQ.

Then there are some problems that can be solved with the use of high Imagination.

Since having one doesn't necessarily mean having the other hiring and paying extra simply on the basis of high IQ wouldn't do much good.

And even if you were only seeking those with high IQ that still doesn't mean they would work well especially when you're giving them drugs with possible side effects such as addiction, high blood pressure and paranoia.

Your plan sounds like a first class ticket to lawsuit hell honestly. And thats only looking at the actual participants who yield to that opportunity as you call it.

Also what exactly is this "exceptional" intelligence you talk of?

>> No.4781384

I think pretty much everything can be solved by teams of smart people with amphetamine. >>4781075
Please don't talk about the risks of monitored amphetamine use if you do not have a pharmacology background. It makes you look extremely ignorant.

>> No.4781470
File: 25 KB, 284x400, 130590_slide.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have you read the book called The Wisdom of Crowds?

It's very interesting.

It turns out, that a 'super team' like your is not very productive.

The reason, is that you have selected a homogeneous group. They all think in approximately the same way.

Yes, they are smart. But they went to the same schools, did the same courses, married the same kinds of people, made similar life decisions.

This creates a concentration of life experience in one area. There is no diversity.

If you think I'm pulling your leg, it has been shown again and again, that what you need is :

A: Some smart people.
B: Some average people.

All of which are well motivated.

The average people ask questions that the smarter ones never would ask.

As a result, the 'mixed' group is more intelligent than the 'super group', even though the average IQ or other intelligence test of the super group is far higher than the other mixed group.

What I'm ultimately saying is that the composition, the structure of the group, counts for a fuck ton more than the actual sum of intelligence within the group itself.

Weird, but true. Read the Wisdom of Crowds. Intelligent people tend to do very very well at producing incremental efficiency improvements when in a group, but the mixed group produces game changing ideas everytime.

>> No.4781483

>>4780800
> Why don't corporations do something like this?

> They would have a staff doctor, who would screen various engineers and other R&D people, looking for signs of exceptional intelligence. Once identified, these men and women would be offered a new position within the company.

Believe it or not, there are better approaches. See this issue of "Annals of Improbable Research"
http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume16/v16i6/AIR_16-6_screen.pdf
page 22

>> No.4781490

>If the person accepted, they would begin an amphetamine course

and then you lost me

>> No.4781495

>>4781483

don't see anything related to this subject on pg 22?

>> No.4781509

>>4781495
In discussion of the management prize, they showed how a kind of random promotion was most efficient.

>> No.4781537

>>4781470
that post was on the homepage recent images

>> No.4781543

>>4781490
Just a heavy dose of ADD and ADHD drugs essentially.

>> No.4781657
File: 5 KB, 251x251, amanda helen tam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4781543
I won't come back

>> No.4781673

>>4780800
what program is that?

>> No.4781680

Do you believe that these people would actually produce anything of value? Then you haven't met a lot of people on amphetamines.