[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 70 KB, 600x489, binaural beats.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4766718 No.4766718 [Reply] [Original]

Every since I was introduced to Lucid Dreaming through a forum I regularly visit, I have been very eager to try it, only to be disappointed due to it either not working or due to me not being able to recall the dreams. I am also somewhat scared of trying to induce it and having it turn into a nightmare. Can you guys help me by giving me tips on inducing lucid dreams? Thanks in advance.

>> No.4766720

We have a board for the paranormal. >>>/x/

>> No.4766728

>>4766720
>>4766720
>>4766720
>>4766720
>>4766720

Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal. Lucid dreaming is not paranormal.

>> No.4766730

>>4766728
Spam is not a valid rebuttal. You know you're wrong.

>> No.4766739

>>4766730
Prove to me that it is paranormal, knowing that "paranormal" means that it is impossible to verify scientifically.

>> No.4766743

>>4766730
While I don't know if it belongs here, lucid dreaming is definitely not paranormal. Maybe /soc/ or /adv/ would be better though?

>> No.4766748

>>4766739
Shifting the burden of proof is a fallacy. If you think it is scientific, provide the evidence. If you fail to do so, you can go back to the paranormal board.

>> No.4766756

>>4766720
It has happened to me a few times. Everyone dreams, and sometimes you are aware that you are dreaming. This has happened to probably millions of people, don't dismiss it as paranormal just because it never happened to you.

>> No.4766761

>>4766756
Dreaming happens but there's nothing special to "lucid" dreaming.

>> No.4766764

I think this is more scientific than a third of the threads on /sci/.

I've had them, but never intentionally, so I'm sceptical.

>> No.4766777

>>4766748
Here's your Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Enjoy realizing how premature that accusation was.

>> No.4766776

got a dream diary, helps definitely

and yeah, it fucking rules fuckin all bitches you like and flying around and jumping from building to building and going through walls and shit

though i dont really have any now
few months ago i had them every night

>> No.4766782

It is most definitely not paranormal. Neither are hallucinations. They can have paranormal shit wrongfully attached to both, but that is just ignorance. These threads usually work well on /b/ but then its mostly about sharing your experiences with it, not about the actual mechanics of it, so I am ok with this.

So, you wanna lucid dream? I have not used the more advanced forms you can find in wikipedia, only used triggers in dreams to elucidate a normal dream. Some recommend some tests like spinning around, looking at your hands and such, but I generally just keep repeating to myself before sleep "its a dream, its a dream, its a dream..." and then sometimes I remember and notice that it is infact a dream. You surely don't need to be afraid of nightmares, infact a lucid dream can help you turn them right around. Sometimes though you will forget its lucid half way in, or you won't be really rational, like when I was fighting some Agent Smith dude and told him it was just a dream and he said some bullshit about Him also being a dream that got me scared for some dumb reason. This was after I punched him right through a wall though, shit was SO cash.

>> No.4766791

there must be an idiot proof way to achieve lucid dreams based on scientific ways

havent found it yet tho

>> No.4766790

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming
>Lucid dreaming has been researched scientifically, and its existence is well established.[5][6]

How can people not know lucid dreaming is real? It's one of the prime examples of scientists being morons along with continental shift, gorillas, meteorites and many other things

>> No.4766793

>>4766791
>scientific ways
*scientific facts

>> No.4766804

>>4766791
There is

>> No.4766807

>>4766804
tell me about it

>> No.4766830

Here is a list of feats I acomplished during lucid dreaming.

- Flying. Depends from dream to dream if I can manage jet-fast or just hovering.
- Teleporting. Closing your eyes and walking through walls essentially, appearing in some entirely random and different setting. One time also by looking into the distance and appearing there, but this was out of my home window so I had good memory of the landscape.
- Summoning. I was looking to fuck a particular person so I ended up in a hallway with many doors and just kept walking through doors thinking of that person. After a few doors she was there.
- Tried to bend the elements ala Airbending. Only managed to hover a rock and maybe flying counts as airbending, couldn't suddenly produce fire. This one time I summoned a huge meteor to strike the ground but that wasn't a lucid dream, just awesome.

Sorry for not science, but its not bullshit either.

>> No.4766865

>>4766791
Its already easy, no need to make it idiot proof. Just accept it won't work everytime, and it has to do some with your current neurochemistry not just practicing.

>> No.4766877

>>4766776
>>4766830
Didn't you wake up if you imagine yourself having sex?

>> No.4766905

I had a few good experiences with lucid dreaming. They happened spontaneously.

I would advise people not to try to lucid dream though, because it's harmful to our relationship with our dreams. Dreams can help you understand yourself better than anything else, they are a gate to your unconscious mind, they can help you with decisions, they can settle issues, they can bring relevant problems to light, they can help you clear your mind on what you want, etc.

People like to lucid dream for two reasons: they like to be in control of things and they think dreams are meaningless. First comes from a natural tendency to try and take hold of a situation, but that becomes obsessive when our own fantasies do not satisfy us if we are not in control of them. It's like a child that can't have fun in a game if the child can't make any rules up. The second problem comes from the misconception that dreams are fakes and that the waking world is real. Though just because one happends solely inside your mind, that doesn't mean it doesn't have any consequence. The consequence won't be physical (directly, that is), but it will change who you are everytime.

Instead of trying to be conscious in your dreams, I think it's more important to understand the importance of dreams, to take it seriously. Take notes of your dreams, think about them and use your instincts rather than your reason to make their meaning emerge. This way you'll have a much more fruitful experience, they will become more vivid and more significant, it can help you deal with your waking life and it will give you creative ideas for your projects.

>> No.4766907

Scientific-unscientific... You are all right but not at all.
Lucid dreaming and doing this dream trick is real but there are things that are not.

Lucid dreaming about: making you more awereness so your mind "will get up" when you dream. There are some shitty pseudo sciences what says, you get into "Trans" and you have "astral projection" etc. etc. these are bullshit of course but the original lucid dreaming is real. Just read for it how dreaming and REM works.

Personally i don't recommend to do it because it can be dangerous. First you can scare the shit out of yourself, because every nightmare you have (what you originally forget or didn't even realize while sleeping) going to be more realistic and you will be concious while dreaming. Once if you got into lucid dreaming IT'S HARD TO STOP. If you are awake on sleeping you can't get good rest you will be tired. People says they can fly and shit in their dream. What if you get up in the night and you don't know you're dreaming or not if you know what i mean.

>> No.4766923
File: 792 KB, 1291x643, 790886908689.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4766907
>>4766905

>> No.4766941

>>4766877
Yes, over-exerting yourself can cause you to fade-to-white and wake up. Most of the times it happened while attempting to rape, but not always.

>>4766905
This is threading the fine line of paranormal bullshit and science. Jung thought there was something to analyzing the content of dreams, but the general concensus nowadays is that its mostly just junk left over from the process of memorizing the events of the past day.

>>4766907
The real danger of frequent lucid dreaming is disturbing your sleep phases and getting less rested. Fact is lucid dreaming is nothing like reality, so confusion will only happen in the dream. If you don't know whether you are awake or not it is also by definition not a lucid dream, and if you get to that then you could conclude everytime that it is infact a dream (except you are not perfectly rational everytime to remember this). It ties into false awakenings, where you dream that you just awoke in your bed and it is one way a lucid dream can fall back into a regular one. Either way, you will not be jumping out of the window in real life unless you are sleepwalking (somnambulism).

>> No.4766961

>>4766830

I teleport differently. I simply imagine what my point of perspective would be if I was over there and then I'm over there. This also works for locations which you can't see.

>> No.4766972

>>4766905
Even if you lucid dream, the majority of your dreams will still be non-lucid (With like 50 billion dreams/7.143 billion dreams per day), so you won't have really lost anything significant

>> No.4766970

>>4766907
>because every nightmare you have (what you originally forget or didn't even realize while sleeping) going to be more realistic

But you're immortal and you can pull out a lightsaber out of your ass (I did in my last nightmare, just not literally out of my ass).

>> No.4766978

<superhero origin story> Years ago, I had a run-in with faulty wiring that ran a decent amount of electricity through my head and resulted in a a decent blow to the skull. Not long after that I developed epilepsy, but we can't conclusively prove that it's the cause </superhero origin story>.
I have lucid dream from time to time, along with a few other parasomnias (hello, sleep paralysis).

I think I can de-/x/ the wording >>4766905 used. When I have your standard run-of-the-murdered-infested-mill nightmare, I wake up, get terribly scared of my cat/dresser/wall/foot, then realize it's not real. If I have a lucid dream, even if it's something like going shopping or eating breakfast, it can take me hours to fully segregate memories from the dream and from reality. This is NOT to say I get them mixed up--if I stop and think, it's pretty clear--but I will do stupid things like skip breakfast because I ate in my dream or make way to much coffee for the people I was talking to my dream and realize how stupid that was.

>> No.4766994

I have lucid dreamed before and there is a very easy way to do it.
1. Lie down looking at the ceiling.
2. Try not to fall asleep (read a book, watch videos... etc.)
3. Once you are VERY tired (having trouble keeping your eyes open) start listening to your favorite music
4. Now you fall asleep
5. Lucid-dream-mode engaged

P.S. when I do not listen to music at all (or music that I like) or have took a drug (marijuana) before this I usually have REALLY bad lucid dreams that result in me waking up, not being able to move and being really paranoid about everything. So watch out while doing this.

>> No.4766995

One personally proven but crappy method is to wake up in the morning hung over and lay there in bed with the intention of letting your body totally relax. Maintain some level of mental activity above sleep but below global economic strategy, like day dreaming. You are doing this because you want to dream lucidly, and have a couple strategies to help you once you realize you are dreaming. It's real, testable in your own home asking someone to provide data on this topic is laughable.

>> No.4766999

I've only had one spontaneous and it was through rational thinking.

I couldn't dunk a ball of paper in a white room; I thought, 'What? I'm tall enough... This must be a dream.' and then I went to places I had been pre-lucid and nonsensically edited them a bit before waking up.

>> No.4767010

>>4766994
Yes! I forgot it. Sleep paralisys. That's why i never try lucid dreaming.

But a question: while lucid dreaming can you count? Can you reason? It could be very interesting if one can do science, or thinking on problems while sleeping.
That could be awesome. (more awesome if you will be more creative)

>> No.4767019

>>4767010
Well its a myth that you can't read letters or numbers during sleep, but there is very little permanence. You could probably write something down but a moment later it would turn to something else or you would no longer have the paper at all. In any case, you would not be any better off thinking in dreams than in waking life.

>> No.4767021

I've had a few lucid dreams before, but have never been able to trigger them consciously. I've tried methods like listening to a very specific kind of background music while falling asleep; keeping my mind active while my body falls asleep, etc. I've gotten extremely close to the sleep paralysis phase, but I always end up being too excited about it, making me unable to fall asleep. It's like when you tell someone to fall asleep as quickly as possible (s)he'll be unable to do it, since his/her mind will check up on whether (s)he's sleeping yet.

I'm gonna keep trying, because I'm pretty sure it's possible (given how close I've gotten already), but it's not very easy to do, imo.

Goddamned captcha changed right before my eyes. I never knew these things auto-refreshed.

>> No.4767024

>>4767010
Yes during lucid dreaming you can do anything you want. So technically you could solve problems and found during it too. I have personally not tried it but my friend, who is studying to be a chemist, states he solved a problem, that even his teacher could not solve, because of lucid dreaming. He keeps on telling everyone how he dreamed he was at a blackboard drawing out the problem, and actually feeling and hearing the chalk scratching against the blackboard, until he got the answer and than he woke up in his bed but still knew the answer.

>> No.4767031

Hey OP,You don't need to put you name or email in the fields order to post. Just a bit of advice.

>> No.4767038

>>4766941
>This is threading the fine line of paranormal bullshit and science.
How so, really? I haven't said anything paranormal at all.

>its mostly just junk left over from the process of memorizing the events of the past day.
Now hold it right there. You are dismissing the subject exactly like we see so many people do with anything scientific. Dream analysis is not "just a theory", but a practice with observable contents and numerous perspectives. The results are quite visible. Our memory is important to the whole process, but to say it's a "junk left over" doesn't explain the symbols that we see in dreams. So you take as an example any image from your dream and you can simply disregard it without really looking, because you already concluded it's left over. But nothing was said on how you came to dream that thing instead of any other. To me that's the most unscientific attitude one could have.

And what makes a person dream of a dog instead of a cat, a person instead of another? Why is that a small fly can frighten you in a dream for no apparent reason? How is that sometimes you are able to do things you wouldn't do when you are awake or maybe you can't do in your dream something you normally do in your life? Those things can be explained through a series of emotional, intuitive, rational and irrational connections our brain make for every information we receive. There is nothing paranormal about that at all, it just follows a logic which is internal and not supressed by the laws of physics, as the images are not like the physical real thing. The fly in your dream is not like an actual fly.

cont.

>> No.4767040

>>4767038 here

That's why dreams are one of our most important tools for understanding ourselves, they are going to talk about the structure of our emotional self, they are going to explain the context of our choices when awaken, because you are going to be able to see the web of connections between the things we see. It works in a similar way one would study the regions of the brain through the neurons, except instead of electricity, you're going to inspect language and instead of matter you'll be studying symbols.

>>4766978
>de-/x/
Damn it, I hate paranormal stuff, I never even went to /x/, why are you doing this to me, /sci/? :(

What you told is a very practical example. But what I was thinking about, as a consequence of deliberately lucid dreaming (or invading the unconscious with the conscious) goes a little beyond. That is because while we are awake, our mind is still connecting the dots and making emotional decisions without we being aware of them. As you said, you skipped breakfast because your mind told you you already had breakfast. Now imagine something more subtle and broader, in which your reactions to daily life, to the people around you, shift slightly and in a way you can't put your finger on, as a counter reaction to the changes you inflicted to your dream-life. The limit between fantasy, dream and reality can become a little blurry and though we judge ourselves to be reasonable enough not to fall for it, we are talking about something which is below the surface of what we are completely aware about ourselves. That's why I advise people not to be reckless.

>> No.4767059

I either wake up or can't control anything properly when i'm aware i'm dreaming.

I've managed to fly a scooter across my old primary school playground and briefly participate in an orgy.

Being stuck in a lucid nightmare wouldn't be so bad, just think of nice shit

>> No.4767070

>>4767040
>why are you doing this to me, /sci/? :(

/sci/ is under the impression that anything regarding the mind that is currently unexplained is completely unexplainable

>> No.4767145

>>4767038
>>4767040
I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and said it was threading on the line between /x/ and /sci/, as you did not explain it thoroughly. There are definitely things you can learn about yourself through dreams, but it is not symbolic its pretty straight forward. I hate that word because it brings to mind bullshit-like analyses that my mom and sister believe in, totally unrelated things meaning something else like dreaming of poop means you will get money in real life. I would concede that dreams can teach you about your past waking life but obviously cannot predict the future, which again would be tied to memory. So far scientists have tried to record the brain activity and see if there is any reason you are dreaming something particular at a particular time, but it seems while it draws from your experiences there is no order in the content of your dream and thus no basis that dreams are a sort of "therapy" your mind does to help you cope with your life. I would rather say lucid dreams are more therapeuthic since most of times I have them I end up fucking everything I come across of since I'm a virgin.

Not a good way to end a post, so I'll just point out that the mind interests me most of all subjects and I'm not being dismissive.

>> No.4767192

>>4767145
Thanks for understanding, I realize you are skeptical but not dismissive.

I also understand your reaction to the word "symbolic" considering your references. Dream analysis have come about all possible approaches, mystical, scientific, sexual, paranormal, religious, capitalist and so on. We see a lot of books today on what dreams mean, like glossaries of symbols of some sort. These are completely unfounded, they are made to sell and to fool. Jung (now that you mentioned) was the one who brought forth the idea that we have symbols in common and even him used to mention again and again that these symbols could never be trapped into a fixed system of corelations like that.

It's very logical, we share some symbols because we share images in the waking world, we are all either man or woman, we have similar relations to our relatives (or corrupted versions of those relationships), we see the sun and the moon in the same way, we don't like spiders and we found ourselves to be shocked when we fall. But if you are a biologist specialized in spiders, chances are your dream with a spider has a completely different significance than anybody else's. It's personal, emotional and thus, hard to track, study or determine an outcome with accuracy. In that sense, it's not very scientific, which doesn't mean it's anti-scientific, there is a huge difference. Point being that symbols are not random shit people come up with, they are logical in their meaning, even if the meaning varies.

cont

>> No.4767194

>>4767192 cont

On predicting the future, the only way dreams can do that is just like we do in our everyday life: we guess. The guesses we dream can be more accurate and scare some people (that is documented), but they are guesses.

Your ideas on dreams seem to be matching those of Freud's, who thought the images in the dream were just blurry and confused versions of our logical ideas and not something that could hold some logic on its own. He also thought of dreams as a therapy for our unfulfilled desires and fears we have to face. I don't like that very much, but I'm saying because you might be interested in his work. I think there are many other ways to which dreams can be useful.

>> No.4767200

>>4766720
Lucid dreaming is dreaming and being aware that you are dreaming. Are you suggesting that this is a feat which could only be achieved through magic?