[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 19 KB, 250x375, 250px-Skullclose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4757219 No.4757219 [Reply] [Original]

So /sci/ , how do you deal with the inevitable death of yourself and your beloved ones and the "eternal oblivion"?
How scientists deal with these problems?
and how the scientist should deal with these?

>> No.4757235
File: 349 KB, 800x1130, 23d6ef52e74f0adbbb3d37cc50aee8c2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What exactly is the "problem"?

That you have a timespan?

Then deal with it by accomplishing as much as you can before that timespan expires.

>> No.4757240

Just like anyone else I suppose, all I can really do is observe the world and the things that are affected by the state of it. I'm actually Catholic, not hard core at all, but I still somewhat believe in most that entails, but I'm also a Scientist, so I understand the skepticism that comes with "faith" and the boundary between the unknown and the unknowable. It's really up to yourself as to what conclusion you come to at the end of the day.

There is an inevitable end to all things and we just have to come to terms with that, whether by our liking or disliking. Though I also think that life works in some incredible cycles, where there is an end, there is also an inevitable beginning as well.

Monty Python - "Always look on the bright side of death."

>> No.4757382

>>4757235
This.

The "problem" of death lies in the fact most people are unable to come to terms with it.

I'm pretty sure nobody starts sweating buckets when they think of what existence was like before they were born, because they couldn't comprehend it as they lacked a conscious to do so. Death is exactly the same.

Why should we fear nothing?

>> No.4757391

Fuck that, I'm going to work on life extension.

>> No.4757400

>>4757382

Yes, death becomes easy to contemplate and accept, by looking BACKWARD. Billions of years of NO ME. It didn't trouble me then, did it? So uncountable trillions of years of NO ME... now I understand. Now I accept it.

>> No.4757407
File: 91 KB, 600x820, steve rock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4757219
I'm actually excited to die and see the truth

>> No.4757413

>>4757400
Good, because you should.

>> No.4757411

>they think no-thing happens after death

if only you knew
but you never will
your comprehension is small

>> No.4757427
File: 52 KB, 852x480, smith.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4757219
The purpose of life is to end...I see no problems

>> No.4757428

>>4757400
Also, make that an eternity of no you. It becomes much more easier to accept.

>> No.4757437

>>4757400
Before you existed, you didnt have the consciousness to worry about yourself. Now you do

>> No.4757450

Death is something I have thought about more and more lately.

I can already read in this thread about accomplishment and do as much stuff as possible before death. However, if somebody would walk in here right now into my room and shoot me in the head, assuming I would die instantly as in my brain activity would seize to operate once the bullet has been shot... nothing matters.

What do I mean? Well, I could aswell be shot at age 10, 50 or 100 but the timespan itself does not matter since you are dead. I never understand why people feel more emotional if a baby dies than an adult, let alone someone on its death bed. You still cant understand how long your life was, nor what you did. Since people use "he/she never got to experience life" but you have no point in it when dead, you cant miss it, you dont know you are dead, you are vanished.

Anyone follows what I am saying?

>> No.4757454

>>4757450
Yeah, life is meaningless because we're all going to die anyway.

Good call.

>> No.4757457

>>4757454
Not as much, more on the timespan understanding. As in the expression "I am too young to die" when you can not understand how long you lived anyway.

>> No.4757459
File: 42 KB, 432x411, cateeth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4757450
>newborn dead, and old people in deathbed
People only care about them if they are beneficial somehow, I'm sure nobody sheds a tear about a dead baby they don't even know about in the other side of the world.
Also emotions are stupid, and make us do illogical things, but we were born with it so we don't really have a choice

>> No.4757465

>>4757450
>>4757457
me again, sometimes I feel my points are not describes properly since english is not my native language so any failed understanding is understood

>> No.4757470

In my opinion, death is just your molecules and whatever rearranged. So it doesn't bother me at all, part of me will be dirt, part of me might become a tree, who really cares, it wont be my problem.

They are gone and don't know about it if they are dead, I will be gone and don't know about it when I am dead, and all that come after me will see the same fate.

>> No.4757468

>>4757457
>timespan
Timespan compared to what ? to infinity ? to a dogs lifespan ? to a cancer patients lifespan ? it all matters where you draw the line, and this line is very unstable as you change and experience more.

>> No.4757520

I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me in the slightest. At some point in the future I expect I shall return to being dead.

Life is the anomaly, life is a rare beautiful unnatural thing. Therefore I shall lean as much about it while I still can, experience it and revel in it then eventually return to to my natural state; death.

Eternal oblivion does not scare me, I am just organised matter and energy, no matter how disorganised and scattered my pieces may become they never be destroyed. Even in the endless void the matter and energy that was me will still act and react the exact same way it did within me.

>> No.4757542

extend telomeres
immortal cell lines and controlled differentiation
cyborgs
let's do this

>> No.4757543

>>4757520
> I was dead for billions of years before I was born
wow...this is actually a brilliant point which never occured to me before. we were already dead before our birth, but somehow we found life in our new bodies. Maybe the same thing will happen again after we die

>> No.4757550

>>4757543
Perhaps some atoms and energy will arrange themselves into a pattern that resembles me after I die, I can only speculate but it seems very unlikely.

It is a nice idea; but I don't require believing in it to be happy.

>> No.4757558
File: 1.90 MB, 1600x869, tien_the_storngest_humen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>achieve supreme fitness, diet, and perfect body
>maintain entire life
>never die

>> No.4757559

>>4757550
We were born on this planet. This planet consists absolutely zero fundamental elements and only matter. Which means our consciousnesses appeared out of something completely physical / matter. I don't think that idea is a stretch at all.

>> No.4757562

>>4757558
>I shot you
>You fucking die

>> No.4757569

>>4757559
I don't quite understand. Conciousness is an emergent property of physical processes. My conciousness is no different.

The chances of me being constructed via these physical processes was extremely astronomically slim in the first place, the chances of it happening again are just as slim.

>> No.4757576

>>4757569
So ?
We skip all the time between our death and birth, so in this infinite universe and infinite time, if you hit the jackpot again, you will continue living (reborn) like you never even died

>> No.4757575

>>4757558
>perfect body
That's the problem. From the moment your egg first divided in the womb were only so many more divisions possible. Even if you treat all the cells in your body properly and nourish them correctly they simply cannot divide and replicate forever, eventually they will slow down, ageing will occur and you will die.

>shitsucksbro

>> No.4757577

>>4757575
>replying to an animefaggot
get out

>> No.4757589

>>4757576
>infinite universe and infinite time
There may be a problem with your reasoning. The universe may seem infinitely large BUT there are several physical reasons why this is impossible. For example:
>Say the universe is infinite and contains an infinite number of physical objects
>Infinite physical objects equates to infinite gravity
>Therefore all of the universe would be constantly inflicted with infinite gravitational pull from all directions.
>All matter would be exploded from the force.
Since all matter hasn't exploded, we can rule out an infinite universe.

As for infinite time you have to account for entropy. Everything that happens adds entropy to the universe, entropy is basically chaos, energy being spread out. In a few billion years our sun will burn out. Perhaps it's remains will form a new sun, but this cycle can only repeat for so long until all the 'useable' material has used in the fusion reaction.

Eventually there will be no suns, and in such a galaxy, what are the chances of me forming again?

>> No.4757593

>>4757577
>DBZ
>Anime
Pick one.

>> No.4757611

>>4757589
> infinite universe
I meant infinite amount of possibilities, and not infinite matter. Also the heat death of the universe is impossible unless all the matter comes together at a single point and absolutely stabilize, which is impossible

>> No.4757614
File: 6 KB, 252x252, Stephen Hawking after surgery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>heat death of the universe is impossible unless all the matter comes together at a single point and absolutely stabilize

>> No.4757631

>>4757611

that is not even what a heat death is.

>> No.4757699
File: 37 KB, 670x496, 1305746234034.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This shit keeps me up at night. I worry all the time about dying; specifically being dead. I think >>4757450 has the right idea...nothing really matters. And death is totally inevitable...sure sitting at work, school, or in traffic that thought doesn't bother much, but lay down tonight and realize what never waking up would be like...and the only choice we have is to try and delay it. We can't stop it.....

My personal theory is that death is something no living being should contemplate. Look at animals, they fight to survive but I doubt they understand what death really is. Everything we do in life is a distraction from this reality.

>> No.4759123

>>4757459
>Also emotions are stupid, and make us do illogical things

you are so stupid it fucking hurts

>> No.4759127

By being Catholic and believing in God

>> No.4759150

>>4757558
and become stronger than papa

>> No.4759163

I don't have to deal with it, I won't be there.

>> No.4759265

out of curiousity, are then any books that specifically deal with this whole death subject/eternal nothingness and what not?

>> No.4759272

>>4759163

you have to deal with it now, you just quit
like most people in the face of inevitable death they become complacent and confine themselves to their fate

but if there was a way (scientific or spiritual to put your consciousness in a new body, and rebirth you, you would be very concerned about doing what it takes to be recreated

>> No.4759284

>>4757543

We were not already dead, as death is a word used for something that once was living but is not anymore.

You once did not exist. There be a diference.

>> No.4759291

Maybe I don't belong here, but some of your responses, quite frankly, scare the crap out of me.

You guys are so accepting of death. Don't get me wrong, I understand and even envy you guys, but what the fuck? How can you guys be so robotic about it? "I didn't exist for billions of years before my birth, so what's the difference after I die?"

It's not about the world going on without you, it's about you not experiencing it. It's about coming to terms with mortality, and the different possibilities it entails (the most prevalent one being absolutely nothing). It's about being stripped away from your loved ones, or having them disappear from your life. If you've ever been distressed, or had a regret in your life, how can you, in any good conscience, be so mellow about death? Seriously?

Am I not supposed to care about one of my best friends because he didn't exist for billions of years before his birth? Fuck no! I'm going to be severely depressed, and moreso, I'm going to be scared, because I really like existing, and quite frankly, I can't say "Oh cool! Dying time. Goodbye my whole fucking purpose/existance".

I goddamn wish that I could, so maybe I need to 'evolve' in that sense, but goddamn guys.

>> No.4759297

>>4759272
>you have to deal with it now
There is nothing to deal with.

>if there was a way (scientific or spiritual to put your consciousness in a new body, and rebirth you, you would be very concerned about doing what it takes to be recreated
Of course I would be. But it's not that death is a negative thing, it's that living is a positive thing.

>> No.4759307

>>4757219
I don't know, how do you deal with the reality that you can't fly and shoot lasers from your eyes? It's just reality.

>> No.4759323

I feel that time is circular, and that we are all living out our lives in reiteration for an indefinite amount of time.

>no conscious awareness of time up until pre-birth, live life, die
>huge sig figs of years pass, universe collapses and re-expands
>you are born again, as if instantaneous since no sense of time when unconscious

>> No.4759331

>>4759291
The state of death is a state of nothing. There will be no you to care, I agree that those left behind have to deal with the loss and it can be horrible but the deceased won't have to deal with any of this. So why even bother caring?

>> No.4759332
File: 43 KB, 344x517, 1331253803289.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If the universe truely is infinite, then there is an insured chance that we will be reincarnated constantly and live an infinite number of lives. Because if the universe is truely infinite, then there are an infinite number of possibilities, and each of those possibilities must happen atleast once.

Every single molecule that makes up our bodies was once part of a star that exploded in a supernova... an unknown length of time ago, against literally, the worst odds, all of those molecules came together at some point in time, and you were conceived.

So do not tell me that science and spirituality are not compatable. I think that is as spiritual is it gets. We are the living embodiment of the universe becoming conciously aware of itself, slow in it's infancy but true non-the-less.

Unless of course, I'm missing something. Feel free to argue. Forgive the grammar.

>> No.4759360

Im not sure to be honest. An afterlife, or just the next life sounds nice, but theres part of me that hopes when you die thats it. Your atoms reorganize and end up existing in something else, and those "thoughts" terminate when the electricity stops flowing in your brain.

I think that since we are self aware, we represent an attempt, intentional or not, by the universe to become self aware. Thats more than enough for me

>> No.4759364

Hey guys.

Would you prefer immortality by dumping you consciousness into a supercomputer, or by biological engineering in which your memories eventually decay?

>> No.4759370

>>4759291

The answer is simple. Dont take this the wrong way, but get the fuck over yourself.

Your existence is puny. The existence of the human race MIGHT be worth something. Humanity will survive just fine without you if it has to. The world doesnt stop spinning because people die.

Like I said, get over yourself