[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 412 KB, 1920x1200, 1332800810963.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4755758 No.4755758 [Reply] [Original]

I know Psychology is rarely discussed /sci/ as it is not one of the hard sciences, but I'm curious to see what most of you think on the subject.

what is your view on different parenting styles and if the way your parents raised you is the way you would have wanted to do it if you were them.

I honestly think my parents were far too authoritarian about the whole thing, and it has produced noticeable effects in my personality

>> No.4755766

Yeah, well if they were more lenient then you'd have different effects on your personality. Hindsight's 20/20, nobody's perfect, etc etc

I went through a stage around my early 20s where I kind of blamed my parents for all my character defects. I grew out of that. I mean, I am who I am. How do I know if they did "better" then I'd be anything like I am today? IE maybe your parents authoritativeness caused not only these negative aspects you're thinking of right now, but also all the good aspects about you.

Buck up and take some responsibility for yourself, kiddo, there's nothing you can do now.

>> No.4755768

My parents were controlling and abusive. Now I waste hours every day fantasizing about killing them instead of using my head for more important or more enjoyable things. I think the cause and effect relationship between their parenting style and my personality is quite clear.

>> No.4755779

both of your views are interesting, i guess this is why sci hates soft sciences, discussions can never be free of opinions

>> No.4755792

I'm a mathfag who works in a neuro lab awaiting grad school in statistics this coming September.

Stand-alone neuro PhD program are ROLLING IN MONEY. "Hard science" psychology specializations are doing equally well. They cannot recruit mathfags and physicsfags fast enough. A huge problem with psychology, until recently, was that they could not get enough data to plumb the depths of micro-foundations. Sure, they can study humans, or infer from fMRI, but they couldn't do fuck-all with data mining, information theory, or stochastic processes. Now, the best neuro labs can record from the activity of 400+ neurons simultaneously. Although the brain has 9000 zillion neurons the difference between 16 and 400 is extreme. The mathematics transition from "LOLGTFO" to "Let's apply least-energy methods from entropy theory and lots of C code". Also, neurofags widely believe that optogenetics is ripe for a Nobel prize.

But then again, I don't know anything about psychiatry or any sub-discipline that doesn't involve wires implanted into the carcasses of lesser mammals.

>> No.4755924

Lately, I've been thinking its a parents job to teach their kids right from wrong, but that's about it. I think punishments might be futile just because they don't teach a kid anything. Just piss them off. I can't stop my kids from doing things i don't want them to. I can only try to get them to think about what they think is best for themselves. So i guess i'm just anti-authoritarian.

>> No.4755967

Kids don't understand what the hell is going on here, so hoping that you could reason with them is mostly pointless (adults don't either but they're supposed to be more experienced in dealing with an uncertain environment). So it wouldn't have made much of a difference if my parents were more cognizant about parenting. But it is true that parents' inability to solve problems is transmitted to kids, in the sense that kids can feel when no one in their environment can handle a problem. For example, kids and parents share genetics which make them quite similar in their temperamental dimensions. If a parent fails at dealing with a problem, their failure is transmitted as stress by contagion to the kid. So the failures of parents do become part of kids' implicit affective memory and shape their personality.

But then frankly, some things can backfire. Most parents are happy if their kids are tame and easily controllable but it's not the kids who used to be easy to control who will be able to deal better with adult life challenges. So this ambition of parents to control their kids will eventually turn against them, when they become adults and don't feel autonomous enough to deal with life.

>> No.4756045

Parenting has little effect on children's personality and intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nurture_Assumption

>> No.4756057

>>4755792

See this is exactly what I thought psychology should be. I was blown away when I took an upper division psychology class as a GE and found the research papers to be simplistic and full of useless correlation.

Modeling and neuron data gathering? Fuckyes.