[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 123 KB, 750x999, 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4753957 No.4753957 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /sci/.

I've applied to a plethora of different scientific university courses, including maths, physics, medicine and biology. I am sure that I will get accepted into every one of these studies as my grades are good.

However, I've come to doubt whether or not I actually want to venture into the realm of science. The reason I want to is that I want to contribute something to mankind, something that actually matters.

The reason I'm having doubts is that I'm only slightly above average (some bullshit online IQ tests [this is not a thread for the discussion of the validity of IQ tests, take it somewhere else please] have ranked me between 110 and 125 IQ). It's very demoralizing to know that most people who have made great contributions to science also have incredibly high IQs (mentioning Feynman will not help you make a point), not to mention the fact that there are so many 150+ IQ people who solved differential equations in their sleep when they were 2 years old in all scientific fields.

If I'll have to work my ass of 24/7 and still not have anything significant to show for it, I'd rather just get a more menial job and enjoy other aspects of life more.

My only redeeming quality is that I simply don't give up once I've set my mind to something. Other than that, I am inferior to these people in every way.

Do you think that I should disregard these facts and still go for it? Do you think I'll have any chance of contributing with anything important at all, despite being so stupendously inferior to all my future peers?

Just for the record, I am not seeking sympathy or anything of the like, I am just interested in hearing your opinions on whether or not achieving my goal is realistically feasible.

Picture unrelated; electron microscope image of a Tardigrade (Water Bear).

>> No.4753963

a high IQ is only really necessary for some branches of physical sciences (generally, those involving more maths).

Biology and some branches of chemistry aren't as taxing in terms of IQ as physics. It's well within a merely above-average person's ability to contribute significant research characterising some protein or investigating the effects of some biologicall active molecule on some biological system, etc.

>> No.4753981

It is true that only very few are capable of making GREAT contributions to science. However, science as a whole absolutely hinges on the 99% of scientists making all the mediocre or minor contributions. There is just an astounding amount of research work to be done, and even an absolute genius only has one pair of hands.

>Do you think I'll have any chance of contributing with anything important at all, despite being so stupendously inferior to all my future peers?
What makes you think you'll be inferior to your peers? Sure, there will always be SOMEONE better than you, but this holds for everyone everywhere in any job you could do.

>If I'll have to work my ass of 24/7 and still not have anything significant to show for it,
What do you mean with having something to show, exactly? If your goal is to get famous off your research and be remembered into the deep future - yeah, that's damn unlikely. If your goal is to help out with the mammoth project that is science as a whole - you can do that. Really.

>Do you think that I should disregard these facts and still go for it?
I think you should do what you love. If that's science, then go for it, and fuck the haters (yourself included).

>> No.4753990

for some reason a stopped reading after plethora

>> No.4754000

Here is your problem, OP.

First of all, an IQ of 125 puts you close to the 95th percentile. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Second, the problem is this: you are expecting your IQ to do the work for you. You're expecting "I have a high IQ - all this stuff should be easy for me and require no work!" As well, you're going "My IQ is kinda small... I know I am not gonna be able to do this."

Both of those are keeping you behind. Ignore your IQ. Work hard. Try to understand everything. Sure, you may not win a Fields Medal (hell, 99.999999999% of us won't) but it doesn't matter. University isn't for smart people; where they go to show off. University is for learning. The courses are easy - the classes are easy. Don't worry about whatever innate intelligence you think you should have or lack - go to class, learn, do the fucking work, ask for help when needed, and put what you feel you are entitled to behind you. Earn everything you want.

>> No.4754017

Any great scientist that has made landmark improvements in his said field loved science for what it was. They were passionate about the subject, and there contributions followed from there passion and enjoyment.

If understanding the mysteries and complexity of the universe more fully and deeply is not a reward in and of itself to OP, he should probably seek his menial job.

No great scientist was dissuaded from pursuing science because they were afraid they wouldn't make any "significant" contributions.