[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 21 KB, 400x400, Ágætis_byrjun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4745517 No.4745517 [Reply] [Original]

Whether you are for or against abortion, these 7 reasons why abortion should be illegal tend to cause the thought process to churn. 30 of the 50 states in the US had laws making abortion illegal, until the decision of Roe v. Wade nullified these restrictions. After 1973, abortions were made legal all through the US, yet many would be more than happy to see them made illegal once more. Do you feel abortion is a woman’s right or something that a third party should decide?

>pic related, what you're killing

>> No.4745522

1. THERE WOULD BE LESS MENTAL ANGUISH CAUSED
Women who go through an abortion have to always carry that thought with them. They often wonder what their child would have looked like, acted like, and what type of person he/she would have been. No matter how strong a woman is, an abortion causes mental anguish that never truly goes away. At least with adoption a mother or father has the chance to see what their child has become.

2. TIMES HAVE CHANGED
Everything else has evolved over the year, so why not the idea of abortion? Sure, abortion, child abandonment, and even infanticide were all once permitted under Roman law, but that doesn’t make them humane. Leaving your child on someone’s doorstep or committing murder are both considered a major penalty, so why not abortion?

>> No.4745524

3. DOCTORS ARE SUPPOSED TO SAVE LIVES
The modern version of the Hippocratic Oath doctors take doesn’t specify that doctor are only to save people and make them better, but it is expected of them. The classic version of this oath actually has the phrase, ‘…I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy.’ and the original Hippocratic Oath states, ‘…I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.’ Any mention of not performing an abortion has been taken out of the Hippocratic Oath, but not from the minds of people who expect doctors to save lives.

4. MANY WOMEN ARE ENDANGERED BY ABORTIONS
Not all abortions are handled in a manner that is both sanitary and done by a professional. Abortions can be very expensive, which causes some women to seek services wherever possible. There have been quite a few cases of women dying, becoming sterile from a botched abortion, or ending up in the hospital with further complications. I don’t know if making abortions illegal would help this though. I do think that it would lessen the numbers of women who endanger their lives by looking for abortion services that aren’t up to par.

>> No.4745528

5. ADOPTION IS ANOTHER OPTION
Adoption is always brought up when people talk about aborting an unwanted child. The idea of aborting a child who would make a welcome addition to another family’s household is expressed by many pro-life individuals. There are tons of people who get rejected when they apply to adopt a child, which makes the idea of adoption seem far-fetched to these individuals. However, most people feel putting a child up for adoption is much better than going through an abortion.

6. THE CHILD DOESN’T HAVE A CHOICE
Children can’t and don’t ask to be born, this is purely an option only adults have. Whether the woman chose to get pregnant or not, pro-life individuals feel that abortion is taking the right to live from a human being. This is a right that an embryo cannot defend. Some people say that humans only get to exercise the right of choice once they are old enough to reason, but others feel that a competent adult can also speak for those who are unable to do so on their own.

>> No.4745531

7. IT IS ENDING A LIFE
Some consider abortion to be murder since the being inside the mother is living. The definition of something living includes the ability to grow, which is exactly what is going on inside a woman who is pregnant. An abortion ceases the growing process, therefore ending the future life of a human being. This little being may not start off with a heartbeat or brain activity, but cells are still dividing and allowing it to grow.

>> No.4745538

>1. THERE WOULD BE LESS MENTAL ANGUISH CAUSED
[proof needed]

>2. TIMES HAVE CHANGED
An argument in favour of abortion

>3. DOCTORS ARE SUPPOSED TO SAVE LIVES

>4. MANY WOMEN ARE ENDANGERED BY ABORTIONS

>5. ADOPTION IS ANOTHER OPTION
True, but irrelevant

>6. THE CHILD DOESN’T HAVE A CHOICE
Implies a foetus is a human

>7. IT IS ENDING A LIFE
Depends on whether one is concerned with "life" or "human life".

>> No.4745541

Couldn't you

>> No.4745545

have posted everything

>> No.4745550

take it back to pol

>> No.4745551

Unwanted children kill your grandmother and steal her kidneys.
>2. TIMES HAVE CHANGED
For the worse, the more people we kill the better.
Saved your grandmother and her kidneys, preventive care is the latest haven't you heard?
Lets make them even more so by making them illegal. Not that I mind if women drop like flies.
Why wait 7 months and go through all the childbirth mess when you can take a pill and continue your life like usual.
>6. THE CHILD DOESN’T HAVE A CHOICE
Perhaps he should've thought about that before he moved into a womb.
>7. IT IS ENDING A LIFE
No more than antibiotics does on a daily basis.

>> No.4745547

in a single post?

>> No.4745558
File: 53 KB, 513x378, 1335825861070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4745551
>Perhaps he should've thought about that before he moved into a womb

>> No.4745570
File: 68 KB, 320x250, 1281228577914.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Murdering entry level humans is fine by me.

>> No.4745575

>thread about abortion being legal or not
>op doesn't make a legal argument

0/10 would not read a brief submitted by op

>> No.4745587

1) That's sad, but we don't have laws against people hurting themselves because that would be silly.

2) I agree. If you can come up with new, better than before arguments then yes we should reconsider abortion.

3) We don't use words a certain way because of how the dictionary defines them, the dictionary defines them a certain way because of how we use them.

4) That is neither true, nor is it a good argument. If you want to argue that people should not be allowed to hurt themselves or put themselves in danger you must provide a reason.

5) It is an option. So?

6) If you never have sex and never create a baby, the baby that you didn't create doesn't have a choice in whether or not it's created.

7) See most people that are pro-choice don't think it is but I actually agree with you. I just don't think that makes it necessarily bad. Why is death so bad?

>> No.4745610

>>4745587
>we don't have laws against people hurting themselves because that would be silly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)#Legal_status

>> No.4745620
File: 3 KB, 126x96, 1338517608366.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Completely ignorant and uneducated 7 reasons. Womanfag or religatard detected.

Your first is just stupid and subjective. Really no relevance to the argument. So ill ignore it.

Abortions are only expensive and potentially dangerous because of the status it retains in modern society. Its taboo like nature has halted any progress at developing safer and less expensive abortion methods. Tards like you don't help this.

Really the only other one I want to touch on is the idea that adoption is a much more humane choice, when in reality it really isn't. Without including the fact that adoption shelters are filling to the brim as it is from religatards with the same ideals.

You completely ignore the woman in this situation, and instead of thinking about a fully concious beings circumstances and feelings you put a non-existant ones first. You expect a woman to carry a baby for 9 months, give birth, and then give up there baby to adoption? You completely ignore the fact that this person would be going through the trials it takes to carry a baby and give birth, its not an instant process.

Furthermore you ignore what actually happens in adoption shelters and the chances of abuse both inside adoption shelters and once the child is actually adopted. A close friend of mine had lived in adoption shelters all his life, and had to endure more than 1 abusive family.

A living organism can grow but you do not need to grow to be a living organism. There is no difference between the potentiality of life in a sperm cell or a week old zygote. Abortion should always be legal below a certain developement of the fetus.

Religatards is the only reason it is not.

>> No.4745636

>>4745587

>don't have laws against people hurting themselves

lol, what do you think any drug law is? America likes to talk about the right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness but, like most things in America, this is just a relic left there to convince amerifats that they actually do have liberty and the right to pursue happiness.

In reality we are only allowed to pursue what happiness the government deems acceptable.

>> No.4745645

>>4745517
What the hell - why do you post this here?

>> No.4745687

>>4745636
You could argue for drug laws with reasons other than just it hurts the user. You can even argue that with seatbelt laws, like that it increases insurance rates for everyone. You cannot argue that with punching yourself, and coincidentally punching yourself is legal.

>> No.4745715

>>4745687
>You cannot argue that with punching yourself, and coincidentally punching yourself is legal.

It´s not. You´ll be sent to a mental hospital if you punch yourself. It hurts the people around you (Mother, Father or children being forced to watch you beat yourself up). You might end up needing help by an ambulance which costs other peoples money and time. You can use it hurt others (Give me money or I´ll punch myself / Don´t leave me or I´ll hurt myself)

Pretty much the same reason why you are not allowed to commit suicide.

>> No.4745771

>>4745715
You're joking right? Show me that it's illegal to punch yourself.

>> No.4745786
File: 68 KB, 316x316, 1310339313711.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

mfw i made my wife abort my son who would of had down syndrome

>> No.4745789

>>4745786
good call

>> No.4745797

>>4745789
I know he would of been a pointless waste of resources until his death nothing that benefits the world would of came from him. life is only for the strong

>> No.4745804

>>4745799
>fixing a kid with down syndrome

doesn't work like that see >>4745797

>> No.4745799

>>4745786
>running away from the problem instead of fixing it
This is why civilization is in the shitter.

>> No.4745805

>>4745786
>Would of

I wish your parents had aborted you.

>> No.4745809
File: 42 KB, 205x205, 1296679903228.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4745805
are you furious ?

>> No.4745810

>>4745805
Posts like that you'res are a diamond dozen. Your just mad its a doggy dog world out they're.

>> No.4745817

>>4745809
I'm not mad, I'm disappointed.

>> No.4745821

>>4745817
of what ?

>> No.4745825

>>4745817
You are disappointed that rational beings don't want to sacrifice their life for a retard baby?

It literally has no effect on your life. Don't get your jimmies so rustled.

>> No.4745830

>>4745825
Thanks man that's a great way of putting it.

It's like a weight on your chest which stops you from moving what's your first thought? to remove it

>> No.4745831

>>4745825
No, I'm disappointed in that fellow's use of the phrase "would of" rather than the correct form, "would have".

As far as I'm concerned, you're not a scientist until you're speaking proper English properly.

>> No.4745846

Whether or not abortion is moral is meaningless. Abortion is, will be and should be legal because people will do it anyway, supporting the black market and endangering the women involved because of a lack of regulations. Making more people criminals is also bad.

Prohibition does not work. End of discussion.

>> No.4745895
File: 97 KB, 720x543, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4745810

>> No.4746289

>>4745517

PRO SIGUR ROS

>> No.4746303

>>4745846
Theft should be legal because people will always steal even if it isn't so prohibition doesnt work and just leads to all stolen goods going on the black market and funding criminals, and makes people who have to steal to get by criminals.

>> No.4746313

>>4745522
>Less mental anguish because of worrying about what the kid would have been like.

Well, every time I pass my uterus lining, I wonder about it (except for the gender, since that's determined by the male's sperm). The only difference is it's a little more flesh than the blood and stringy bits that comes out on a normal basis.

>> No.4746339

>>4745531

The definition of life, in a chemical sense (which is the most purely scientific one that would be relevant) is that in order to be defined as living an entity must:
1) Exist in a state of disequilibrium with its surroundings. I.E. body temp is not equal to room temp
2) The entity must maintain this disequilibrium through its own means. I.E. even cold-blooded animals will bask in the sun in order to get their bodies to high enough temperatures.

tl;dr
Life means existing in disequilibrium on your own

a fetus cannot do this until ~24 weeks (which is when abortion becomes illegal)

>> No.4746365

Arguable at best. Fails to consider the fact that few abortions will inevitably mean more children born to young, poor, single parents, and the mental anguish of the single parents who have to forgo any chance they might have had at college and take on extra jobs so their kids don't starve, and the kids who are neglected by their parents who work sixteen hours a day and don't know how to take care of a kid anyway.

>2. TIMES HAVE CHANGED
So what? Because some things have changed, we should start arbitrarily changing everything else?

There are many situations in which choosing not to go through with a pregnancy could have a very positive effect on a woman's long term health.

Abortion related health problems would skyrocket if getting them from a legitimate doctor wan't an option. Many people would just go to Mexico.

This is true. It's also a better option in many cases. This fact has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not abortion is ethical.

>6. THE [fetus] DOESN’T HAVE A CHOICE
and is incapable of making choices, or caring about other peoples' choices, or knowing what a choice is, or knowing what people are, or what life is, or that it exists, or feeling pain or fear or regret.

>7. IT IS ENDING A LIFE
So is squishing a bug. Why is murder i,oral when squishing a bug is not? Relative complexity. If there were a bug with a nervous system as complex as yours or mine, killing it would be immoral. Since a roach is just a few million unthinking cells, we don't think twice about killing it if it annoys us.

>> No.4746401

> Do you feel abortion is a woman’s right or something that a
> third party should decide?

If you want to live in country that forces women to give birth against their will there are a number of shit-tier countries to pick from I suggest you move there.

>> No.4746408

>>4745517
>pic related, what you're killing

KILL IT!!! KILL IT WITH A COAT HANGER!!!

>> No.4746410
File: 330 KB, 600x888, freakonomics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When the country legalized abortion in the 70s in roe v wade, it dropped the crime rate that had been growing in the 80s, and in the 90s, crime was lower than ever in the country. People cite innovative policing as a cause of this, but this drop in crime started 2 years before guliani got elected in new york with his mass policing campaign to arrest and lock up new york pot smokers for 24 hours. In states that legalized abortion 3 years before the rest of the country, crime rates in those states 20 or so years later fell 3 years before the rest of the country did.
Read this book and its sequel Superfreakonomics.

>> No.4746420
File: 17 KB, 627x526, 1335829813121.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4746410
>Freakonomics

>> No.4746415
File: 331 KB, 519x777, doug-stanhope.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4745522
this guy and his wife dont regret aborting that fucker

>> No.4746430
File: 250 KB, 537x720, 1338597115177.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everyone with downs syndrome i met was a cunt to me when i was ppolite to them. Mongoloids need to be aborted.

>> No.4746455

When does it become conscious?

>> No.4746485

>>4746455

babies aren't conscious of shit but we draw the line arbitrarily after they exit the vagina. If you have a problem with that, go live in a shit tier country.

>> No.4746690

Only if it was rape or the baby and/or mother is having serious health problems. Women need to learn their god damn lesson and use a condom. Men too, just put that shit on for fucks sake it's not that much different from sex without one. Sure, it's annoying, but fucking deal with it you man children.

"HURR MY DICK DOESNT FEEL I CANT SEX WITH CONDOMS" Your average manchild.

>> No.4746716

>>4746690
Tell it to the blacks, you faggot. They're the ones that never use birth control, and spread most of the STDs, too.

>> No.4746723

>>4746455
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violinist_(thought_experiment)

I'd say it's permissible to deny even a full blow person, mad violin skills and all access to your body.
Where does this right to the nutrition from your very blood come from?

>> No.4746726

http://www.freakonomics.com/books/freakonomics/chapter-excerpts/chapter-4/

Levitt and Dubner got it right.

It's BENEFICIAL to society.

>> No.4748574 [DELETED] 

<span class="math">x + y = 10[/spoiler]
<span class="math">z + x = 63[/spoiler]

<span class="math">63 - 10 = 53 =
(z+x) - (x+y) = 53[/spoiler]

<span class="math">z + x = 63 =
x = 63 - z[/spoiler]
<span class="math">x + y = 10 =