[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 561 KB, 1085x750, Engineering Image1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4742250 No.4742250[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/

I am a 24 year old male and I have an interview for an engineering course coming up that I'm hoping will lead to a Computer Engineering undergraduate degree. They will ask me what skills or experience I have that is relevant to the course, and also why I'm interested in it. The interview is in 4 weeks so I should study and gain some skills on my computer that will be relevant to the course.

What should I do? The closest thing I did was 10 years ago when I made some Flash games and a couple of simple C programs.

>> No.4742258

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I don't know where to start.

>> No.4742261

>>4742250
Maybe you shouldn't have applied if you have no skills or interests or anything related to it.

>> No.4742262

>>4742261
Whatever. I don't want to stack shelves for the rest of my life.

>> No.4742269

>>4742258
See >>4742261

Give it your best all the same, but I just don't see how you have any chance against anyone that's been doing this shit in their free time for years. You can't cram this kind of experience into 4 weeks.

You should have been playing with Arduinos for years if this was really an interest worth pursuing.

>> No.4742278

>>4742269
What CAN I cram into 4 weeks then?

>> No.4742279

>>4742278
Ass kissing.

>> No.4742290

>>4742279
What?

>> No.4742298

>>4742278
not much, so don't even fucking try

if you show up at the interview and try to pass off superficial knowledge as long-term experience they will either see through it or think you're an idiot

just be fucking sincere and explain why you haven't done this shit in 10 years but are now suddenly interested in it

ultimately they want someone who can learn and who shows enthusiasm. play on whatever strengths you have

really, if you don't even know what you should know, you really don't have much of a chance of packing anything worthwhile into your head in 4 weeks

>> No.4742300

>>4742250
>What should I do? The closest thing I did was 10 years ago when I made some Flash games and a couple of simple C programs.

this is actually relevant experience. just don't bullshit them. explain it was quite a number of years ago, but you enjoyed it and you would enjoy pursuing something technical as a career. the interview is 90% to make sure you're not a moron, 10% to see if you're suitable for the subject. It's easy for you to leave the course under amicable circumstances if you don't enjoy it, but it's a waste of everyone's time if they admit someone who isn't capable of doing it.

>> No.4742305

>>4742298
>just be fucking sincere and explain why you haven't done this shit in 10 years but are now suddenly interested in it
I'm interested in it because it will have a higher likelihood of getting me a desk job that pays pretty well than another field. Do I just say that I'm interested in it because I think it will pay well?

>ultimately they want someone who can learn and who shows enthusiasm. play on whatever strengths you have
I don't know if I have any strengths.

>>4742300
>this is actually relevant experience. just don't bullshit them. explain it was quite a number of years ago, but you enjoyed it and you would enjoy pursuing something technical as a career. the interview is 90% to make sure you're not a moron, 10% to see if you're suitable for the subject. It's easy for you to leave the course under amicable circumstances if you don't enjoy it, but it's a waste of everyone's time if they admit someone who isn't capable of doing it.
So that's the answer to the question, "I would enjoy pursuing something technical as a career"?

>> No.4742328

> So that's the answer to the question, "I would enjoy pursuing something technical as a career"?

Ugh, that's some non-specific bullshit. When I hear someone say "something technical as a career" I can safely assume they have no real passion for any field (since if they did they would say something more specific) and that they will be terrible at anything.

>> No.4742333

>>4742328
What should I say?

>> No.4742344

> Thinks Flash games and C programs are relevant.

Have you ever even google'd Computer Engineering? If you're expecting CS or anything like it, you're in for a surprise.

Anyway, like
>>4742269
said, you should have messed with arduinos/digital circuits a long time ago if you had any interest. I'm a shit-tier Computer Engineer and even I played with the stuff and knew what I was getting into.

>> No.4742360

>>4742333
No idea. You're looking for a way out and this seems like a good choice to you. They will be looking for someone who's passionate about this. You're not. They are not looking for you. Anything you say to convince them will be a lie that might deprive someone else who is better suited.

Aside from fucking over that person, it also puts another apathic fucker in the way of progress. I would rather have the guy with a true passion designing shit and moving the field forward.

Sorry OP, but get fucked. Find something else to escape your own mediocrity.

>> No.4742371

Here's some advice, rather than lying about a passion you don't have or skills you don't posses, go to a trade school.

>> No.4742388

>>4742344
CE will pay better though.

>>4742371
No.

>> No.4742401

>>4742388
>CE will pay better though.

Not for you it won't.

>> No.4742404

>>4742401
Why not?