[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 36 KB, 441x300, wss-4ss-mg-france.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4733889 No.4733889 [Reply] [Original]

Drunk /k/ommando here with a serious idea that has been troubling me lately.

Before we where born it is reasonable to assume we simply did not exist. Our bodies not yet created through pregnancy.
Therefore our body, personality, thoughts, feelings are non existent.

After we die it is reasonable to assume that when our brain ceases function and our corpse rots away fully.
Our body, personality, thoughts and feelings are non existent.

So after death we are in the same state as before birth.

At least once we have been in this stage, and this then lead to our birth.

So if we assume both death and lack of birth to be the same state of oblivion. Then what is to stop us being born again, in another body, without knowledge of our previous life ?

Picture unrelated

>> No.4733892

Heh. I'm going to be you someday. Better live a good life motherfucker.

>> No.4733894

>Then what is to stop us being born again, in another body, without knowledge of our previous life ?
That's not the right question to ask. Ask instead
>What reason is there to believe that we can be born again, in another body, without knowledge of our previous life ?

>> No.4733901

>>4733892

I'm pretty content with my life, and I have a decent quality of life also.

So enjoy, I guess...

>> No.4733902

>>4733894

I was going with the assumption that if my claim where true, then it would have already happened and that this would not be my first life.

As I have no knowledge or memories of previous lives then I made the assumption that I am either incorrect or that we would not keep our memories post death.

>> No.4733909

bump

>> No.4733912

>>4733902
But why would it be true in the first place?

>> No.4733916

You are now a person who has read this.
You are not the same person you were before you read this.

>> No.4733923

Well if before birth and after death we are in the same state.

There is no reason for it not to be true.

I'm fallible though, so just my idea, could be wrong.

>> No.4733931

if non-existence is relatively instantaneous, than what is to stop us from being reborn billions of years after our death, in an instant (relatively).

>> No.4733935

Well if you are then born again with no knowledge of your previous life then are you really even born again?
Also regardless of if you take it to be true or false the end state is still the same. Whether it's you born again with no past memories or a totally new life, it doesn't really matter as the newborn would be identical in both situations. So it's pretty irrelevant to anything.

>> No.4733939

>>4733935

Well I was talking about our sentience.

Me and you are both living, but I am fully aware of myself and you are fully aware of yourself.

I meant to be reborn with my sentience in a body and mind that had no previous memories

>> No.4733948

>Then what is to stop us being born again, in another body
What ass backwards definition of "you" are you using? If it wasn't a totally different structured collection of molecules than it wouldn't be you, you dumbass!

>> No.4734012

>>4733935
>>4733939
>>4733948
Sort of reminds me of the whole metaphysical nihilism argument about whether it matters if we really exist or not, since we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Theres a question for you OP, does it matter?

>> No.4734013

If our bodies are made of atoms like stars, what is to stop us from exploding like supernovas every once in a while?

>> No.4735428
File: 25 KB, 396x385, 1307980196001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you would probably be reborn as someone you would hate

>> No.4735434 [DELETED] 

>>4735428
It would to matter, there would be no connection with your past self.
All your memories and personality would have completely gone, and been created afresh.

>> No.4735435 [DELETED] 

>>4735428
It would not matter, there would be no connection with your past self.
All your memories and personality would have completely gone, and been created afresh.

>> No.4735450

>>4733889
>in another body
Then by definition it is not you.

Conservation of information ensures that your 'essence' if you will, is never created nor destroyed, in the sense that the information which makes you up must have existed before your birth, and must continue to do so afterwards. It doesn't imply any meaningful reincarnation ideas though, but its certainly possible for the information to be rearranged into yourself once more.

>> No.4735454

>>4735428
>tfw you will be reborn as Harriet

>> No.4735458

>>4735428
Only possible if you hate yourself, either YOU are reborn, or its not you.

>> No.4735829

>>4735458
What about multiple personalities, guys? What if people with multiple personality disorders DIDN'T forget their past lives, and are considered buttfuck insane? And, yes, I realize this whole thread is completely un-/sci/ worthy, but, what ever the fuck, at least this is interesting and NOT trolled to fuck.

>> No.4735880

>>4735829
Fucking accidental sage, sorry. This is a good thread.