[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 75 KB, 500x364, 22353_jea_fea_sparty_080707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4732190 No.4732190 [Reply] [Original]

>People who consider themselves or their kids gifted
>they and their kids are 100% average
OH MY GOD ALL OF MY RAGE AT THESE PEOPLE. I remember when I had AP Chem in high school, the teacher was an absolute dumbass (she was a woman trying to teach science, what did you expect). I mean, she couldn't handle the Kequilibrium expression. Or how to calculate half lives during constant decay. Or why Lithium chloride would dissolve in water.

>mfw she called herself gifted
>she literally would not get a 3 on the AP exam

Later in that semester, she said that her son was gifted.

>mfw he's a foot soldier in the army

Again later in that semester, she said that her young daughter was gifted.

>mfw her evidence is that she is in first grade and reads on a second grade level

>> No.4732195

Yes, everyone thinks this, it's nothing new. It's better than yielding oneself to mediocrity, even if it is slightly delusional. Why accept one's own limitations? If this really gets to you, just stay inside and never talk to anyone, ever; it's the only way to avoid it.

>> No.4732199

underaged b& and also narcissistic sexist

>> No.4732208

90% of people think that they are above average.

>> No.4732223

>>4732208
Which is mathematically possible.

>> No.4732235

>>4732190
Every person you've met in your life is better than you at something. Don't forget it.

>> No.4732236

>Or why Lithium chloride would dissolve in water.

That's really a hard question, OP. Why does it?

>> No.4732238

I'm gifted, but I try not to brag about it... 'course, I won't deny it if some one points it out, either.

>> No.4732242

It always amuses me that my parents always viewed my two brothers as very smart/gifted and me as average intelligence. Younger brother was doing HS Maths in year 7, and older one scored "off the charts" on IQ tests.

Now my younger one dropped out of school in year 10 and is doing it via long distance (he should be in year 12 now) and wants to be a plumber. My older brother (27) lives in a hippy town, and hasn't had a stable job in years and lives off disability pension with two children to two mothers.

I am at university, top 5% of my classes despite my problems and very likely to end up doing a PhD.

Being gifted and having high IQ means very little if you have no desire or motivation for something.

>> No.4732243

I thought I was gifted before I went to uni to study mathematics and met people who were truly gifted.

>> No.4732248

>>4732223

Wow, you think?

>> No.4732260

>>4732236

ΔHsol. LiCl is approximately 37.0 kJ/mol at 298K

ΔG = ΔH - TΔS

Hence, the value of Entropy for this must be quite large as the system is gaining disorder. As ΔHsol is low, we end up with a negative value of ΔG implying that the reaction is very favourable at 298K.

Not OP.

Also, most people think they are gifted at some point in their lives. It's very rarely true. I think everyone has a glass ceiling though. For some people, it's higher than others. You meet people throughout your lives who say, were fecking geniuses at grade school level, above average at high school and plain awful college students. You also meet people who are awful school level students, but brilliant academics. Just depends on a lot of factors.

>> No.4732261
File: 190 KB, 645x773, 753.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In second grade I was told I was able to read at a 6th grade level. (This is based off of state assessment tests)

In 7th grade I was told I was able to read at a collegiate level. I made a 35 on the reading portion of the ACT so I guess I really am "gifted" in that sense.

I was always average at math though.

"Oh anon, you should maybe major in English and become a writer!"
>tfw gifted in the wrong goddamn stuff

>> No.4732269

>>4732261

This happened to me. Everyone told me to study english at university. "Oh, anon, you're so good at it, and you never have to work."

I'm studying chemistry at uni. Sure, I have to work at what I'm doing, but I enjoy the challenge a hell of a lot more than just mindless debating about feminist overtones in post 1960s literature. At least we end up with a "definite" answer in science. (I appreciate that nothing is truly certain in science however...)

>> No.4732276

>>4732269
Funny thing .... I'm also studying chemistry now and minoring in math

>> No.4732282

Yup. Well that's how it works. People who think they're smart never are.

>> No.4732283

>>4732248

Yeah, if the 10% drags the average down far enough to outweigh all input from the 90%.

>> No.4732286

>>4732261
In year 2, I was told I had the reading age of a 14 year old and I got 92% (the highest in my county) on a reading compehension test. I've always been good at reading as well as writing, a few times in year 8 the teacher made a point of saying how good my creative writing homeworks were.

As for maths, I'm terrible at mental arithmetic and I make a lot of rookie errors, but I find it easy to grasp concepts (don't get me wrong though, the extent of my mathematics knowledge is pretty much vector arithmetic, basic integral & differential calculus, logarithms, and trigonometry (only sin, cos and tan, no sec or cot or whatever).

I'm also relatively good at sciences and I find physics and biology pretty okay (I've never enjoyed Chemistry much). I have developed a strong interest in philosophy as well, and I've been programming since I was 12 (at 18, I'm still not particularly good at it).

I'm kind of torn over whether I think I'm smart or not. Part of me does, but part of me thinks that I'm not. I've learned not to care, and that genius is made (with fucktons of learning), not born.

>> No.4732314

>>4732190
>be in army
>ask older people what they have done during their life
>find out most are university graduates that are looking for a different life style

>> No.4732316

>>4732286
I was also terrible at mental arithmetic, while good at understanding concepts after looking at them once. Something clicked in my head at some point, and I realized math was just a language.

I also started reading problem solving/math contest oriented books, and practiced doing mental arithmetic. I feel I'm pretty good at it now. I'll never be Gauss or von Neumann, but I haven't made anything less than an A in any of my math courses so far.

>> No.4732327

>>4732314
>one anon asks a small group of people why they are in the army
>their experience is now supposed to be indicative of the army as a whole

The fact remains that most people in the army are not university graduates.

>> No.4732338 [DELETED] 

I've been tested all my life because of my hearing to make sure I was at least average level.

My understand of spoken language is below average for understandable reasons and it has translated a bit into my spelling and grammar, however my reading levels growing up were always well above average and my comprehension of information and ideas are still above average even in university.

Growing up there has been various comments made by people which suggests that I might be gifted, in at least some ways.

Testing done in early primary school came back that my level of understanding was that of a teenager though I don't remember much of what was said and my parents have since lost all that stuff.

I was always known among the science teachers for my ability to top every test and for reciting the textbook almost word for word although I did equally well in the knowledge area as I did for the critical thinking area.

However because of my hearing, and my mental problems, I never did as well in school as I could have and no one ever realized I had problems despite my grades between assignments and exams being very different because I did average B's across all my subjects, and I often downplayed my understanding of subjects to not draw attention to myself.

However in the past few years I've been getting better and the help I need and now I am definitely in the top 5% of my university class and surprising everyone despite my somewhat lazy attitude towards studying.

I don't really view myself as gifted, just smart with a good memory for information.

>> No.4732346

>>4732282
That's bullshit, there is nothing wrong with knowing you are smart. Why would anybody deliberately and needlessly think of themselves as average when they are not.

>> No.4732358

I've been tested all my life because of my hearing to make sure I was at least average level.

My understand of spoken language is below average for understandable reasons and it has translated a bit into my spelling and grammar, however my reading levels growing up were always well above average and my comprehension of information and ideas are still above average even in university.

Growing up there has been various comments made by people which suggests that I might be gifted, in at least some ways.

Testing done in early primary school came back that my level of understanding was that of a teenager though I don't remember much of what was said and my parents have since lost all that stuff.

I was always known among the science teachers for my ability to top every test and for reciting the textbook almost word for word although I did equally well in the knowledge area as I did for the critical thinking area.

English is obviously not my forte, however science seems to be. I easily in the top 5 - 10% of my classes despite my somewhat lazy attitude for studying. And I also enjoy art, with my artwork being decent in my eyes (I can draw but painting is my forte within the art section).

I don't really view myself as gifted, just smart with a good memory for information which allows me to do well across a variety of subjects such as Art, Science, Maths and Business.

>> No.4732716

I see being "gifted" as something that isn't real, but somewhat quintessential to how we see the world.
It's just so easy to see someone with talent as being "gifted" - it's the kind of prejudice that's hard to shake; the same as when you call a guy "manly", or affection "love".

>> No.4732725

I am not gifted but i've been able to convince people I'm really smart but underachieving. In reality i'm below average.

>>4732190

Is your teacher Mrs. Cohen?

>> No.4732741

>>4732190
That's not what literally means.

>> No.4732744

>>4732741
It's a veritable shame that he literally uses literally literally metaphorically.

>> No.4732745

>>4732190

>mfw her evidence is that she is in first grade and reads on a second grade level

Snrrrrk. BAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, I read at a university level in Grade 8 and a junior high level in Primary School. This was because of a combination of what I assume are good genetics and a home environment in which I was encouraged to read at an early age. I consider myself gifted, but am well aware that I'm in the low-middle part of that category and not near the top.

One ahead is above average in that there were a worrying number of people in my Grade 12 English class who had problems pronouncing works like "average" and "never" while reading aloud. By that logic I suppose being able to put your pants on unaided is above average.

>> No.4732754

>>4732260
Why wouldn't you use Ksp values?

>> No.4732759

they just handed it out in my middle school. one THIRD of the students in my grade were in the "gifted program." only a fraction of them went on to take AP calc (not that AP calc is the end-all criterion for being smart, it's just that most of them couldn't even handle that down the line)

>> No.4732868

>>4732759
Exactly. Gifted is the new average. Like, when I was in HS, EVERY kid did some dumbass 'gifted' program in elementary school (and subtlely bragged about it to each other [I didn't do it because I went to ES in a different state which didn't have it]), and none of them are actually smart. The majority got like 1700-1900 on the SAT, lol.

>parents don't have me do any 'gifted' bullshit, despite being invited
>smarter than the kids who did
>2270 on my first try SAT
>mfw

>> No.4732885

ITT: "gifted" high school teenagers and their super serious teenager problems.

None of you are unique or special. OP is a fag.

>> No.4732891

ITT: Faggots who never were considered gifted

also

>that feel when reading at a high school senior level in the 6th grade