[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 29 KB, 441x302, dhFMg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4708572 No.4708572 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm all God Tiering out, doing physics n' all and taking some fageneering courses in the summer because well why not?

These people are so horrible at math, and not to mention sloppy. Everything is "here is a good trick to remember how to solve this", do they understand anything about the underlying mathematics?

I'm usually the one feeling stupid in my physics classes not following everything, and being outdone by half the class. Maybe I'll just become a God of engineering instead lol.

>> No.4708573

huehuehue

>> No.4708583

i'm a physics major and i remember once my class had to do a DEs exam with a class of engineering majors. a group of like 5-6 engineers nearby wanted to cheat out my answers, i thought to myself "fuck it" and gave them to a dude sat next to me who then passed on to his peers.

fucking pathetic. lost all respect for them once for all.

>inb4notallengineersarelikethat

yea right

>> No.4708590

>"here is a good trick to remember how to solve this"
Certified by engineering student here. I hate it when teachers do that.

>> No.4708595

blame ABET. sage for trollbait, though.

>> No.4708597

As neat as the underlying math can be, as far as engineering is concerned it is essentially trivial.
Math is taught because people feel that it's important to at least understand the basis of what most of what we do is based on.

I recently completed my masters and honestly, I haven't had to take an integral beyond power rule in about 3 years. There are machines to do that for me, so I can focus on standards, practices, and free body diagrams. The math I do is all basic algebraic formulas that happen just before I start doing the actual engineering.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that you're doing great, but math isn't really a big part of what engineers actually care about. Unless you get into EngPhys, but those guys are a bit differently focused.

>> No.4708651

>>4708583
If you take a specific event and apply it to all events, and if you reject every other rational viewpoint... I think you get the point.
>>4708572
Many people go after jobs which pay the most, never once debating whether or not they will enjoy the field, or even be capable of joining it. I'm a future chemical engineer and I've seen this in so many of my classmates, but I don't mind. They will either realize their lack of interest/ability and switch majors, or they will have chosen a career which consumes so much time that it becomes one's life, and they will hate it. I'm fine with either outcome.

>> No.4708662

numerical methods are much more important in engineering than knowing how to solve some integral that takes a page and 10 trig identities to complete.

also, you sound like a freshman. all engineering freshmen classes are easy and even the biggest retards pass them, sometimes after numerous times. don't let that stop you from your pointless dick waving.

>> No.4708670

Can I get this picture with a "no homo" title? lol

>> No.4708672

yea our electronics professor literally taught us only tips and tricks and gave no mathematical foundation to anything. I find myself using IIT videos to get a grasp.

not every "engineer" is bad at math. A lot of science majors become engineers, and a lot of engineers, mostly the academics, are pretty good with their foundation.

>> No.4708674

knowing how to use mathematica and matlab is much more important than knowing some subtle substitutions that allow you to solve a difficult problem eloquently. as mentioned, numerical methods are much more important for an engineer, but to be fair most undergrad engineers barely know how to even do that

>> No.4708729

>a level maths
>maths teacher who calls himself an "engineer"
>teaches the course in half the time with no theory whatsoever, we just learn how to answer exam questions.
>constantly tells us how he hates maths (he has a degree in it) and how boring the subject is and how we shouldn't study it further
>mfw engineers

>> No.4708732

>mfw youre too retarded to understand engineering

you're my bitch. sucks to suck

>> No.4708740

take intro to contemporary math

>> No.4708744

I'm an engineer and I always did better than the physics majors in physics classes.

>> No.4708764

>>4708744
i go to class with this guy and ill verify that he is indeed bullshitting. he just kept asking us why we didnt memorize all the questions

>> No.4708765

>Wondering why Engineers, people who are the most practical people on Earth who are just focused on how to apply things directly to a task at hand are not spending time going around learning the underlying details and theory behind maths
>You

>> No.4708783

>>4708572 Everything is "here is a good trick to remember how to solve this"

Look at an engineering student's timetable sometime. They'll be taking a much heavier course load than you are. You've got to have an attitude like that if you want to pass six courses per term. There's not enough time to spend on any one subject as you'd like.

>> No.4708798

>>4708764
they give you the questions before you take the test?

>> No.4708815

Yea, some universities and colleges will give you questions similar to the ones on a test.

Though, it's usually the pussy ones that are essentially degree mills.

I'm an engineering student. Biochemical Engineering. I'm on the track to go all the way up to PhD.

And, I do not suck at math at all.