[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 275x375, post_full_1279137880cheating.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4703295 No.4703295 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /sci/, this isn't really science related, but correlated with the incentives of cheating in universities. When have you been provoked to cheat? How prevalent is the activity in your university? (And what country you're in, I've always been interested in cheating in US universities, whether its popular or not) It's an issue that I find to be slowly escalating, as internet usage becomes more distributable (as it always will) until the day academia finally becomes obsolete and inevitably collapses.

>> No.4703305

I do not cheat.
Those who do are only cheating themselves out of their own education.

>> No.4703306

Once, a teacher of mine said something like: "as long as I can't see you, you can cheat in my exams"

So I cheated on purpose, and I told him how I did it afterwards. He congratulated me.

>> No.4703309

I cheated in highschool, because fuck highschool.
I obviously don't cheat at uni, because I choose to learn specific stuff. Why the hell would I not want to learn them then?

>> No.4703314

I flip the exam question sheet over when they are not looking even though they tell us not to do it until they say the test has started. Thats how hardcore I am.

>> No.4703315

I'm at a public US university, in the top 100, but much closer to 100 than 50. I see cheating nearly every test. It's gone from the classic book-under-feet, to chatting with friend because the teacher is either nearly deaf or doesn't give a shit, to literally grabbing the friend's paper and writing down all of his/her answers. I see it nearly EVERY SINGLE test, sometimes multiple people in different parts of the room.

I don't think internet has too much to do with it, as you can see above, none of the things I have seen require internet.

I have never cheated, I actually have a sense of honor and I'm not a weak-willed faggot like most people in today's universities who are only there for a job. You only have self-discipline in life, if you're too stupid or dishonest to do well on your own, you shouldn't be in university. You've eventually gonna get screwed.

>> No.4703320
File: 27 KB, 696x511, untitled.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4703314

>> No.4703322

>>4703320
Fuck off.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/b/

>> No.4703328

>>4703322
make me fat boy

>> No.4703334

When I was in EE our professor let us use any resources we wanted on the exam -- laptops, books, notes, etc.

Yet when people tried to talk to each other during the exam he yelled at them. They must've been retards though, because you could've easily "spoken" to someone using an IM program on your laptop.

The exams were easy as fuck anyway, yet people still failed.

Alas, I am not in EE anymore.

>> No.4703340

>>4703314
I usually do that by accident.
They say something that makes me thing it's alright to look, and then a minute or two later they say "you can now begin reading your exam".
I'm a third year student yet this always gets me

>> No.4703338

>>4703322
I am not going to /b/.

>> No.4703343

It's basically impossible for me to cheat in a way that would have any substantial effect in the exams.

>exam halls with at least 6 invigilators
>2 always overlooking the whole hallf from teh back, so you can't tell when they're looking at you without atracting attention to yourself by turning around
>all peniclcases must be see-through
>coats are not allowed to be worn

Besides which, my exams are basically too difficult to cheat on. Only about the first 30-40% of any question will merely test core knowledge from the lecture courses. The rest tests problem solving and whether you're able to apply that knowledge to some new problem or non-standard situation.
Even if you know the material perfectly , if you aren't actually intelligent the maximium you're liely to get is between 60-70%

>> No.4703350

Only babby classes have exam questions you could look up the answer to.

>> No.4703353

They let us use formula sheets and even textbooks in some of my courses. In exchange they make the test a living hell of difficulty.

>> No.4703357
File: 52 KB, 350x350, 1333694392553.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only ever cheated by writing down formulas on the back of my calculator (because seriously, who the fuck would ever need to know the vector length formula and all variations of it)

I feel bad at first, but then I realise memorizing letters and numbers does not correlate with general intelligence. That's why you never get by with that mentality in engineering. You need problem solving skills, not 'better memorize this text book back to front, and get 100%'. Shit isn't biology.

>> No.4703359

Highschool, in English class. There were a couple times when it was the teacher being a legitimate dumbass, and other times when I was just too out of my element to do much else. There were times I got credit for putting absolute bullshit in too, but it was just because I went to the "artistic" highschool, where the teachers were dumb as balls and told kids it was cool and okay to be a freak.

My best friend's sibling was also an English teacher (B), and knew that out American Lit teacher(A) was a pure bitch with finals. She gave us a study guide with only ten words that were basically just the topics from the syllabus that she copied and pasted.

Anyway, B found copied of A's final exam, which was a good fifteen pages long- it was fucking huge for a high school final, in the copy room. B stole a couple of copies when A wasn't looking and gave them to the sibling and I- I'd go over to their house and smoke hookah with them, and overall, I guess B just enjoyed me enough to give me a copy out of nowhere like that. Anyway, my friend and I just answered the questions ahead of time (none were multiple choice- it was all short essay answers that required quotes, and this final wasn't even open book- the teacher was just fucktarded).

>> No.4703363
File: 42 KB, 420x560, 385630_2974087722153_1560613148_31988711_353145547_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4703359

My friends and I used to steal copies of our Algebra H/Pre Calc tests like that. She would leave the pile on her desk prior to the next class, yet she always had this problem with being so slow and distracted in her lectures that she would omit a good portion of what we were to be tested on from the actual lectures.

Not that it particularly mattered. This woman told a boy to go to hell because he pointed out that he misgraded her paper by a large margin and answered her own examples incorrectly on the overhead.

>> No.4703374

I think that if the teacher doesn't catch you, it's not an issue. You're only damning yourself. That being said, I despise it when students have to help each other out to cheat. No better way to make yourself look twice as dumb, but it does sort of prove that two wrongs make a right.

>> No.4703390

>>4703357
>vector length formulas
I hope you mean like, arc length and shit and not plain old fucking pythagorus

>> No.4703392
File: 10 KB, 100x100, 3905777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4703390

Pssst. He also said "engineering."

I don't think we're supposed to take him very seriously...

>> No.4703394

>>4703320

It's a small thing but I have to point it out. He was already being ironic and making a joke in his post, why do you have to try and carry it on as if showing off that you "got it", especially by posting a reaction image? What's wrong with you? Go away.

Also, it being a reddit reaction image, you should definitely fuck off to reddit/b as someone suggested

>> No.4703396

>>4703390
>pythagorus
Obviously it's not so plain-old if you can't even spell the fucker's name.

>> No.4703400

>>4703396

You're online, so don't forget your commas where they are necessary. Calling out someone else on his spelling over the Internet... Is it really summer?

>> No.4703405
File: 105 KB, 651x721, aep5E.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i cheated in my preaglebra exam and got a C. shit was cash best grade i ever got ^^

>> No.4703407

>>4703400

>capitalization after ellipses

>> No.4703408

>>4703400
>Calling out someone else on his spelling over the Internet... Is it really summer?
Why do you feel so compelled to defend your anonymous post on the internet?

>> No.4703418

>until the day academia finally becomes obsolete and inevitably collapses

Right because universities do nothing but give out undergraduate degrees.

>> No.4703421

I cheat in pretty much every assignment I do. my university is too fucking lazy to change anything year after year, and it's not too hard to get your hands on past years assignments.

not worth trying to cheat during an exam though.

>> No.4703425

>>4703295
I cheat when the opportunity arises, it's nothing planned. It was great when in highschool I sat next to my math nerd friend during the math SAT-equivalent and had my 100% retarded teacher supervising us. We just wrote each others tests down, word for word pretty much. Had them right next to each other, sat far back in the room, too.

I never plan on cheating though, and I always study for tests. Retards babbling about education has no idea what they're talking about, school isn't about education, it's about showing your ability to work.

>> No.4703606

>2012
>Multiple choice questions
>Not easy as fuck to cheat on.

>> No.4703633

I never cheat but I have seen people with their smart phones and iPod touches looking things up during tests.

>> No.4703640

>>4703305
wrong.