[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 119 KB, 800x600, timemachine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4702719 No.4702719 [Reply] [Original]

...And you're trying to make the best of a bad situation by bringing modern ideas to them, in order to accelerate human progress. But you're meeting with resistance, due to their lack of imagination and provincial attitudes.

>"Sir, enough with your children's tales of metal shells which traverse the aether. When we believed they were told in jest, we enjoyed them, but it's become clear that you're serious and don't realize the severity of your heresy"

>> No.4702728
File: 182 KB, 500x335, dinoskeleton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"Truly, this tremendous skeleton you have discovered is curious. But it is not clear to me how you could possibly know that it is a creature which lived so long ago and was wiped out by a great rock falling from the heavens. Had such a thing occurred, it would surely have broken a large hole in the crystal firmament, which would be visible to our telescopes."

>> No.4702729

>>4702719
Become a royal advisor and design weapons.

I can assure you that any king would get a raging boner if you described the promises of modern arms, let alone nuclear weapons.

Just make sure you can prototype some decent weapon.

>> No.4702740

>>4702729

>"The repeating rifle you designed was impressive. But you have gone on to describe tiny living things no human eye can see, which are spoken of nowhere in scripture. Testing my patience further you've claimed they are responsible for disease, in contradiction with doctrinal evidence that it is demonic infestation which is to blame. I am a man who prides himself in openness to new ideas, but you have long since crossed the line from visionary to heretic. Leave my presence, speak to me no more of turning these imaginary tiny animals into weapons, and continue work only on new firearms. Should further designs please me there will be no need to notify the local archbishop of your anticlerical delusions."

>> No.4702743
File: 226 KB, 660x728, 1336648789054.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4702719
Going to make another one of these (pic related) , some pointers would be helpful.

>> No.4702744

If you really wanna rage, read this shit.

http://www.evolvefish.com/freewrite/franklgt.htm

>"St. Thomas Aquinas stated in his Summa Theologica, "Rain and winds, and whatsoever occurs by local impulse alone, can be caused by demons. It is a dogma of faith that the demons can produce winds, storms, and rain of fire from heaven."

>> No.4702746

It's plausible that you could teach them to build crank operated gatling guns. That by itself would completely transform warfare, and no aspect of it would confuse or frighten them into hostility.

>> No.4702753

>>4702740
>But you have gone on to describe tiny living things no human eye can see

Crude microscopes are quite easy to make, essentially you can make one out of a glass droplet.

Other than that, the swan neck experiment indicates an infectious particulate agent, and boiling sealed bottles of meat is a decent indicator too that therer's an infectious agent that may be killed.

Oh, and any king not an idiot would realize the advantages of providing hygiene and proper healthcare to his troops not to mention himself.

I'd of course also create a steam engine, describe oil and get someone to prospect for superficial resources of it on my behalf.

>> No.4702751
File: 84 KB, 482x386, aintevenmad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4702757

>>4702719

Using my superior knowledge of the human body and modern warfare tactics I'd become a conquerer with the most well trained army in the world

>> No.4702761

>>4702757

Who would let you? A stranger who speaks irregular English and has no money and no property is not going to somehow be handed wealth, property and power.

The old world was no meritocratic. It was very much nepotistic at all levels. It didn't matter what you knew or what you could do, it mattered what family you were from.

>> No.4702762

>>4702761
Technically he could prove himself through various deeds, including coups and hostile takeovers.

>> No.4702765

>>4702762

He would need soldiers for that. He has zero connections and no money.

>> No.4702767

>>4702765
lets say he uses religion for that. like accusing someone of sorcery etc.

>> No.4702768

I'd describe the steam engine and various other constructs that can be verified.

Then I'd reveal I'm from the future and sit down with several scolars and transcribers to detail everything I can dredge up.

Then I'd start lying about aliens and artifacts of power in the outer solar system as to catalyze faster spaceflight development.

After that, I'd reverse engineer the RSA crypto to a text version and write the truth in an encrypted book. I'd distribute it openly and say that when the world is ready for the truth you'll be able to read it as clear as day in plain english. When the world is ready is of course when they have computers that can bruteforce it.

>> No.4702794

>>4702768
This man is brilliant.

>> No.4702814

Assuming there wasn't spatial travel, I'm kinda fucked. One white dude in the middle of the prairies about a hundred years before europeans reached north america.

I guess if I don't kill them with my strange diseases, I can teach them about firearms and to be wary of people from across the oceans, it'll be a fun way to fuck with the future I guess.

Oh, and I'm totally gonna rail Pocahontas!

>> No.4702965

OP, you forget that there would be smallpox, which no-one here will have any immunity to..

so, die by smallpox

/thread

>> No.4702988

>>4702965
A good start then is to get the fuck out of towns, into the countryside, find a source of cowpox and rub it all over yourself, then take credit for inventing vaccination.

>> No.4702991

i would invent calculus