[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 448 KB, 500x281, 1337192833293.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4699276 No.4699276 [Reply] [Original]

I don't care about the money and have a four year full ride. Most exciting, malleable, and satisfying bachelors of science?

>> No.4699281

theoretical physics

>> No.4699282

>science
>anything other than physics master race

>> No.4699284

It all depends on what your interested in. If you want to be challenged take the engineering program your school is highest ranked for. I usually recommend freshmen to do chem e, as I think it offers the most opportunities. EE though if electronics are your thing. Personally though, I'm a chem major and I enjoy it.

>> No.4699301

>most exciting
Differs from person to person. >>4699282 obviously thinks it's physics, but I personally found physics to be boring as fuck and found neuroscience infinitely more fascinating.

>most satisfying
Again, differs from person to person.

>most malleable
The MD, by far. That degree pretty much allows you to get a job in anything remotely related to medicine whether it be actual medicine, research, public policy, pharma sales, you get the idea. The only downside to it is that you first have to finish college and then get into medical school which isn't exactly an easy thing to do (only 8% of premeds ever make it into med school).

>> No.4699304
File: 148 KB, 500x500, hipster1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

gender studies

>> No.4699308

>>4699301
>bachelor's degree
>md
>butthurt neuroscience major who couldn't make it in a real science major
fag

>> No.4699311

>Most exciting, malleable, and satisfying
how retarded do you have to be to think these descriptions are objective?

>> No.4699319

>>4699311
Maybe he isn't a big aspie baby and can handle a subjective opinion.

>> No.4699332

>>4699276
I'm most exciting, malleable, and satisfying bachelor. And I'd like to have a four year full ride on you, babe!

>> No.4699361

>>4699282
>>4699301
physics major here
When I entered I considered biology, but then I realized that the a lot of the classes were just dry
memorization. Then I got an A+ in the honors physics class so I stuck with physics.

>>4699301
8%? I recall asking and getting told that it was 40% in the nation and 50% at my school.

>> No.4699441

Engineering master race reporting in.

If you're not a faggot you'll do shit all across the board in engineering; working with bioengs for systems physiology (gotta understand the territory), EE for the technical signals and electrical systems, matsci and chemE for fabrication and mass production of these devices, mechE because bioengs don't actually understand biomechanics; shit's cool man.

>> No.4699456

>Most exciting, malleable, and satisfying bachelors of science

Chemistry. specifically anything related to Materials Science

Unfortunately, while they are by far the best "real" science that you can major in, the chemical sciences do not translate into easy employment with a bachelors degree.

Physics only has one single real genuine laboratory in the undergraduate curriculum, and its in the final year....

even so, its still just a bunch of cobbled together bullshit and 10 minutes on a department instrument while a graduate student looks over your shoulder.

Chemfags have way more interesting classes to branch out into, and they take labs every single year for the entire ride (excepting the last 2 quarters of senior year).

Furthermore, undergraduate research is almost an assumption in the chemical sciences.

its super fucking easy to get into a program, and as long as you are not a totally retarded fuck up, you can manage to stay in the program and rack up some serious marks for your CV, as well as get some nice letters of recommendation.

Its much harder to do this in fields directly related to physics, as the subject material at the research level is not applicable to "dumbing down" or "monkey work" that undergraduates can easily do....

Keep in mind, if you are thinking about shit like semiconductors and nanotechnology, thats all "materials science" and its a highly interdisciplinary field thats at least 60% chemistry oriented.

>> No.4699515

>>4699276
just do engrish and psychology

>> No.4699517

>>4699319
and whats the point of that?
>oh a few guys on 4chan said x major was good, so ill just do that

>> No.4699526

>>4699276
Do whatever you find easiest, less work more party. Also dat gif.

>> No.4699551

>>4699517
what's the point of this board, it's just guys on 4chan saying stuff

>> No.4699555

Mechanical engineering, specifically control system design.

There is so much shit involved in that field that you get exposure to a lot of different projects when applying it.

>> No.4699557

math, duh

>> No.4699562

Cognitive modeler reporting.

If you've got a full ride you might as well take the first year to explore some options. All depends on what you want to do. /sci/ is biased towards hard sciences, which is great if you can only deal with things that have definitive answers. Personally, I think we need more /sci/ence oriented people working in soft sciences. Only way we'll ever get decent answers to important scientific questions.

No matter what take some classes in probability theory. The world is inherently stochastic so you might as well get your head around that.