[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 13 KB, 180x399, 1337093282402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4685347 No.4685347 [Reply] [Original]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_scientific_theory

Guys take a look and tell which one is your favourite?

>> No.4685362

It's a toss up between preformation (which is adorable) and phlogiston (just for the name).

I'm surprised creationism isn't on that list hurrr durr

>> No.4685370

This one:
Maternal impression – the theory that the mother's thoughts created birth defects. No experimental support (a notion rather than a theory), and rendered obsolete by genetic theory (see also fetal origins of adult disease, genomic imprinting)

>> No.4685373

Phlogiston and vitalism are probably my favourites. Phlogistone is an excellent example of how what can, at the time, seem like a sound theory is still capable of being demonstrated to be wrong. Vitalism, meanwhile, is just a great example of the holes in human thinking and projection of ignorance.

>> No.4685531

spontaneous generation

maggots born from meat, y'all

>> No.4687646

>>4685362
creationism was never scientific hurf durf

>> No.4687651

Personally I like the caloric theory.

>> No.4687659

Another vote for Caloric theory.

Collectin' all the heat juice to keep warm.

>> No.4687676

Rain Follows the Plow.

"the theory was based on faulty evidence arising from brief climatological fluctuations. The theory was later refuted by climatologists and is regarded as a serious error."

Any guesses as to the next climatological theory destined to meet a similar fate?

>> No.4687679

Blank slate theory.

Goes against evolution, evolutionnary psychology, unbiased experiments and yet, it still survives within scholar circles that received a marxist education in the '60-'90. Can we please stop assuming humans are just beings with reason and see them as animals, reason being a component of many more components?

>> No.4687725

Preformationism is so precious.

Makes you want to pat our forebears on their retarded little heads.

>> No.4688286

>>4687676
How dare you imply it!!11one You must be from the Illuminati or the oil companies, hurr durr.