[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 72 KB, 726x590, 1326229527741.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4675468 No.4675468 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /sci/, I got a question that is about the appalachian basin that has me puzzled.

There is an unconformity called the "Taghanic Unconformity" and I am unsure where it falls stratigraphically. I have seen two strat columns that have it at two different places separating two diff formations. Anyone have insight?

>> No.4675667

Imagine a landscape with two or more formations exposed. (should be easy, it happens all the time.)

now imagine a hiatus of sedimentation that leaves both formations exposed. (again, very common)

now imagine sedimentary events that bury portions of one of the exposed formations while leaving portions of another exposed. (should be easy, sediments are rarely applied evenly to entire topographies.)

Now imagine the entire landscape finally buried under tons of sediments. this will produce your single uncomformity appearing at different stratigraphic levels in different places.

it's more the norm, it's how things work.