[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 247x248, Mr. Orange eating a FADS fun stick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4655834 No.4655834 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys. Lots of boredom in my spare time, I want to brush up on math. I'm looking at relearning what I learned at the end of highschool, then self educating my way to maybe 2nd year Bachelor's degree of math as I'm considering going to do a Bachelor sometime over the next few years (currently working to pay off a house, so it won't be anytime soon, may as well get a headstart). So just throwing a few questions /sci/'s way:

1) Are there any good work opportunities for someone with a Bachelor of Mathematics in Australia?

2) Roughly how long, with about 1-2hours of study a day, should it take to reach my goal? Don't expect too precise an answer because everyone is different - but I'm hard working so there will be no slack.

3) What are good resources? Khan Academy seems like a good starting point, but it really won't last long as I already have done most of it. A little bit of revision then I want to take the next step. Would jumping straight into the MIT courses from there be a good idea? Or is there an intermediary I should try (or an alternative?)

>> No.4655855

I did Khan Academy in order of subject (Alg > Geom >Trig > Stat > Pre-calc > Calc > Differential > Linear Algebra). That's literally it.

You'll have all you need to know to start a math degree and will know more than most of the people who will drop out year one. A lot of that stuff mentioned will probably even be taught in a bridging course, so they don't even expect you to know that much.

For a "headstart", do literally anything. If you can already do the basics then literally anything math related that you can't already do will be a huge bonus.

Actually, try and work some problem solving into your study too. So you aren't just memorising the equations but are learning how to use them. By the time you start your degree you will be a math... doing machine. By first year standards anyway.

>> No.4655876

>>4655834
>1) Are there any good work opportunities for someone with a Bachelor of Mathematics in Australia?

No, fuck off, we have too many mathematicians, engineers, and physics graduates here.

We need more doctors though.

>> No.4655887

What kind of career do you want? Are you certain that a bachelor's in pure mathematics is ideal for you?

>> No.4655996

>>4655876
theres a shortage of math graduates in australia not a surplus

>>4655834
Khan academy, MIT opencourseware(single, multi, DE's, Linear)
Get some experience with MATLAB or maple