[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 647x648, universe145.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4641176 No.4641176 [Reply] [Original]

This is so depressing /sci/. Thinking back to the time of Columbus and discovering a new world must of been truly breathtaking! Looking out into space, "the final frontier" I realize how small we are in the grand scheme of things. The fact we can understand this picture in the first place is a marvel.
I want to be born in a time where I can discover new and amazing lands ripe for exploration. Is that too much too ask?

>> No.4641182

No, you're saying you want to be born ignorant. There's also the vastness known as space. Become an astronaut.

>> No.4641188

>babby's first sense of perspective

>> No.4641192

No, but it was much cheaper for Colombo to discover another continent on the same planet than for us to throw insane amounts of earth resources for the sake of "dreaming". Most technological advances have been done because of business or military reasons. Deal with it.

>> No.4641195

maybe we will find a habitable planet around a star that is very close to us. but that would take at least a life time to get to. shit is just too spread out and light is too slow

>> No.4641225

>That feel when no worm holes

;_:

>> No.4641243
File: 468 KB, 1440x900, 773699.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4641176
>>I want to be born in a time where I can discover new and amazing lands ripe for exploration.
you already fucking are! There's a goddamn company out there that want's to mine goddamn asteroids!

We're about to see the cost of launching stuff into space drop by orders of magnitude. Hell, Elon Musk wants to send you to Mars!

You want to discover new lands ripe for exploration? We've barely explored our own solar system. For that matter, we've barely explored our own Moon! You probably walk further in a month, than we've walked on the Moon on all
moon missions combined.

We're at a pretty unique point in human history, we'll probably get to see the beginning of humanity's ascent into space. Someone in the future will likely think the same as you. To them, we might be their "Columbus."

>> No.4641298

>>4641192
>but it was much cheaper for Colombo to discover another continent
>implying colombo wasn't backed up by big buisiness and crown to search for new trade routes to india
>implying it was cheap to build and man three caravel
sure ignorant in here, op. now imagine what said caravels would cost to, say, ancient romans.

the same is with space explorations- rockets(soviet rockets, primary) cost so fucking much because they are primitive. space exploration will be cheap as fuck when nasa starts building it's hypersonic jets with mag-catapult start.

>> No.4641338
File: 25 KB, 348x224, 1330447853747.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

im scared of ocen
ocean is more big

>> No.4641360

>>4641192
The cost of a sea faring ship back then is comparable to a space faring ship now

>> No.4641363

>>4641298
>>hypersonic jets with mag-catapult start
yeah, if we can figure out hypersonic fluid dynamics. DARPA's hypersonic glider, had it's skin peel off, because we don't have a very good understanding of hypersonic fluid dynamics.

How weird is hypersonic fluid dynamics? Well air fucking ionizes when it hits something at supersonic speed, so you get weird plasma effects.

Though I don't think going hypersonic down at the bottom of the atmosphere is such a good idea. Opening SCRAM doors when you hit 60 km is a much better idea.

>> No.4641404
File: 41 KB, 500x500, aldous-huxley.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP does not know what kind of reptiles live within 30 miles of where he sits.
OP cannot recognize the difference between native rocks and stone imported from far away.
OP cannot even name the dog next door.

Exploration is a mindset.
No, you will not found a new nation by doing these things but I channel my will to explore into simply keeping the spirit alive.
Someday us, our kids, their kids, someone will carry that torch to new worlds.