[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 74 KB, 662x635, 1333402546332.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4638231 No.4638231 [Reply] [Original]

Assuming we look at the death penalty as a preventive measure against future crimes: As an alternative, what about sterilization?

I think not only would this discourage people from committing certain crimes as the death penalty does, but would also start an evolutionary selective pressure that would act on future generations.

>> No.4638235

If for some reason this isn't a troll: The US tried this into the 60s. Didn't pan out.

>> No.4638239

>>4638235
Why not? Got any articles on it?

>> No.4638246

Maybe, but it would have to be reversible, since there is not a guarantee that any given convict is actually guilty.

That’s kind of why the death penalty is bad: if an innocent person is convicted of a serious crime and is killed, they have no way of later proving their innocence.

>> No.4638247

>>4638231

> my fear of getting bitches pregnant is gone.
>all the sex I want
>no condom
>feels good man

I hope this gets passed. I am going to kill someone and just be "sterilize" like that matters to me. Also, what do you suggest if someone does MULTIPLE death penalty worthy crimes OP? you can only sterilize someone once

>> No.4638252

I would go out and commit crimes in order to have the chance to be sterilized for free.

>> No.4638249

>>4638239
Mostly it was the racism, like most eugenics. Turns out prison wardens and politicians aren't very knowledgeable about evolutionary biology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics_in_the_United_States is an obvious start.

>> No.4638268

...I don't really get the logic here at all.

Are you suggesting that criminals are the offspring of other criminals? That's completely untrue.

Are you suggesting that children of non-criminals won't commit crimes? Again, untrue.

If you aren't suggesting these things, what point is there in sterilizing them? It's a waste of time and effort, more so than the death penalty.

>> No.4638480

>>4638268
>that

And if you mean by sterilization cutting their balls off, ok. If you mean that they would just be unable to reproduce but could have an orgasm and enjoy intercourse, then you are a retard..

>> No.4638505

>>4638268
Criminal behavior is partly genetic. I.e., genes for poor self-control, low IQ, increases the chances of criminal behavior.

If it is done in the common way, then sterilization is easy to fix.

A more effective approach is radiating the balls. There is no fix for that. However, this leads to cancer. Altho it isn't quite as dramatic as castration.

-

In general, this way (deterrence) of combating crime does not work very well.

Intro reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punishment

>> No.4638757

Castration would probably be quite effective at reducing violent tendencies + no breeding