[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 91 KB, 800x640, klein bottle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4635658 No.4635658 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW0XGLyaBLs
These kids are very young and solve these questions within seconds, while it takes minutes for me. Is there speed something inherently genetic or is it from rote learning. It seems unlikely for most of to solve a simple math question within 5 seconds given training.

>> No.4635671

IQ LEVEL: ASIAN MATH GENIUS

>> No.4635680

i guess the questions were handed out and they just memorized them. really cant imagine anything other.

>> No.4635703

question at 6:00, what the fuck? the guy didnt even finish reading the answer

>> No.4635714

>>4635703
reading the question*

or maybe its just my bias towards stats questions, i hate them

>> No.4635717

solving problems that are already solved =\= doing mathematics

>> No.4635738

Rote learning helps alot. I know a woman from Singapore who was trained alot in rote learning and solving equation systems in the head. She can do that no problem. I can't and has never been trained to solve them in the head, but i can solve them on paper no problem. Our intelligence levels are similar, so it's not a matter of intelligence.

>> No.4635752

I think they just spend a lot of time training for these specific types of questions. It's not that hard to quickly solve a problem if you've done it many, many times before. Combine that with talent and of course it will look impressive.

>> No.4635770

They have computer screens. The question is displayed to them before the announcer begins reading. I was only able to answer 2 of them before they rang in: the 30x40 rectangle and the average of three members question. Then again, I'm three times as old as these kids. LOL. They are amazing.

>> No.4635771

They see the same questions all the time and have memorized how to solve them. The can skip the question part and just plug in numbers because they have seen it 100's of times..

ex. If I ask you the following;

Billy says 2+x=4, and Sammy says 1+x=3, solve for x for both of the students.

You already had it solved after you saw 2+x=4 the rest of the question is moot.

>> No.4637363

These kids are the same ones that end up on the IMO team. Their IQ must be 160+.

>> No.4637384

Yes, rote practice with similar problems. Those particular kids are very good at it (which is how they got that far), but there's no trick and they aren't (necessarily) geniuses.

>> No.4637805

It's a simple process that most of these autist kids follow. You need some aspie genes along with a high IQ, so you become obsessed with mathematics at a young age and succeed in it. In their free time, instead engaging in social activities, they solve math problem throughout childhood. By the time they're in middle school, they will have mastered all of basic algebra, combinatorics, and geometry required for math competitions. Now, all you have to do is recognize questions types and improve speed at arriving at solution through rote practice. They now can land a spot at the MathCounts competition.

>> No.4637963

>>4637805
don't make up your own theory as if you know anything.
i'm asian and can process slightly slower than them and disprove what you saying.

The only differences between me and you is when i was in middle school, i play sudoku,kakuro...etc. rubiks cube and maths like 10 hours a day, this is when people get amazed when i solving puzzle in no time, the funniest part is I *never* feel amazing until the others notice my skill

just cause and effect, there's no genius, brain is nothing but muscles.

To gain such speed you need nothing but a quite steep "learning" curve, in fact, you learn it by doing nothing but doing it, that is. If you really want to be faster, it's just plain simple, you need no math puzzle, you can train it by not using paper to evaluate an integral,ode,matrix multiplication,determinant, system of linear equation...etc. There're over9000 disturbing shit can push full use of your IQ without premade questions,material,puzzle shit like that.

Trust me, everyone can do it, base on my experience, i would say you need only a month or so.

>> No.4638113

>>4637963
>just cause and effect, there's no genius, brain is nothing but muscles.

Hoping this is a metafor. There are no muscles in the brain, but the saying "use it or lose it" seems to apply to the brain as well, as if it was a muscle.

>> No.4638121

>>4638113
Actually the metaphor is apt. Problem solving is a skill that can be honed.

But it only matters if you can put it to good use.

>> No.4638133

>>4637963
Posts like this make me regain some hope. Thanks.
Maybe some day I'll redeem myself from the chains made in Dumbfuckistan.

>> No.4638840

Some sort of memorization scheme is present, however.

The problem that asks how many integers greater than 9 leave a remainder of 9 when divided into 2009.

2009 = 9 (mod n)
2000 = 0 (mod n)

How many divisors of 2000 are greater than 9?
2000 = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 5 x 5 x 5

divisors would be 2^n*5^p for some n and p, for n = 0 to 4 and p = 0 to p = 3

Gives a total of 4 x 5 = 20 factors

The ones less than 10: 1, 2, 4, 5, 8

20 - 15 = 5

How he answered so quickly I'm sure has to do with memorizing the factorization of 2000.

That's the only problem that they solved where the speed of the response was extraordinary. I hadn't even factored it mentally and he had rung in.

>> No.4639057

>>4635658

I struggled to do most of those in less than a minute.

At least I got one before both of them, the one finding the coefficient of x^4.