[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 983 KB, 323x224, 1318723796055.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4587138 No.4587138 [Reply] [Original]

So, /sci/, I'm planning on (hopefully) transferring from my current university to MIT as a Physics Major after my Sophomore year.
I'm in my Freshman right now.
So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with transferring to MIT, especially in their physics department, and what their experience was like. What they're looking for, whether there was testing and what not, stuff like that.

Thanks /sci/!

>> No.4587157
File: 68 KB, 384x494, you-gonna-get-raped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you gon get intellectually raped

>> No.4587162

It won't happen

>> No.4587167

they have like 1000 applicants every year.

Unless you can show that you did calculus at the age of 10, have gpa 4.1 and GRE 1000, it won't happen

>> No.4587186

Well shit you guys. I'm sad now.

I'll still try, but seeing as how you all seem to believe that I have no chance, I'll ask, where else should I look at that's viable and still an excellent physics school?

>> No.4587199

You know, Cornell physics is probably better than MIT

>> No.4587207

>>4587186

Research/Internet-stalk rock-star professors at smaller schools (public universities and such).

And start emailing them with questions like "Hi, I'm so-so, find your work inspiring in this-and-that. Planning to apply for PhD program in Physics at your school. How can I better prepare my self to be a competitive applicant?"

They'll tell you what you need.

Then try to read up on 2-3 professors, recent work that interests you and try to build an email-relationship of a potential student.

Once they know your name, you'll be on top of the considered applicant pile when they need to make decision.

If you plan to apply for PhD for year 2013, typical application deadline is December 25 of 2012, that means 8 month from now so you should start looking/emailing now and register for GRE test (take at least 2 or 3 times to rank up your score)

you're welcome

>> No.4587210

What branch of physics? If you don't have a educational goal other than "just physics.". Well then good luck on your attempt at transferring, competing with people who not only know their specific field, but have already started sig research into that field. I'm not saying not apply, just get your shit together.

>> No.4587228

>>4587207
Wow, this is extremely helpful, thank you. Just one question, are you saying I should e-mail professors from the schools I'm trying to attend, or just relatively well-known professors from small schools?

>>4587210
I'm trying to work with quantum mechanics in some way or another.

>> No.4587238

>>4587138

MIT is mostly graduate school. Also undergraduate degree from MIT worth as much as from any shit-tier university. Undergrad in Physics with no plan for graduate degree is money wasted on tuition.

>> No.4587251

>>4587238
Well, I definitely want my graduates degree, and I figured if I had already graduated with my Bachelors from MIT, it would make it a lot easier to get into the Graduate program.

>> No.4587264

>>4587251

A doctorate in QM... that's pretty ambitious.

>>4587207

I had a couple of friends get stipends for doing stuff like this. Truly the best option for any scenario.

>> No.4587270

>>4587228
>Wow, this is extremely helpful, thank you. Just one question, are you saying I should e-mail professors from the schools I'm trying to attend, or just relatively well-known professors from small schools?

Look for rock-star professors at universities you will be applying to. Not just some random ones, the goal here is to build some sort of relationship that would help you get accepted there. Volunteer to attend their weekly research seminar or something, etc.

Also deadline for grad applications is typically December 15 (not 25, that's Jesus's birthdate according to some pope, silly me)

You should at apply to about 10 school. (Application fees are like 50-100 bucks, keep that in mind). 5-top-tier schools and 5-low-tier schools for diversity.

If more than 1 school accepts you (praise Allah, sacrifice a goat or whatever you do) this gives you some leverage on funding negotiations, and just having a choice is better (more self-esteem).

>> No.4587271

>>4587264

Disregard the doctorate assumption. 6 hour drives got me fried.

>> No.4587284

From what I've read, transferring to MIT is almost as unlikely as being accepted in the first place.

Realize that MIT is not the only school out there. Many of the world's lower listed schools are still teaching the same courses. Probably in a better way due to smaller class sizes and a better student to faculty ratio.

I'm not saying lower your goals. I'm telling you to focus your goals on learning rather than impressing others.

>> No.4587294

>>4587270
Alright, that makes sense. I'll probably be sending in my applications as soon as I'm able to establish a relationship with the professor I chose, so hopefully that deadline won't be a problem.
Thanks again for the advice. I'll definitely save this somewhere so I don't forget it. You don't realize how much you've helped me.

>>4587271
Yeah, I'm not looking quite that far ahead yet.

>> No.4587310

>>4587294

Work on that spelling too

You don't want to sound like a Nigerian spammer.

>> No.4587317

>>4587284

Going to MIT just to take their classes and grab a degree is pretty poor, especially for undergraduate studies in the sciences. The whole appeal to Ivy and top tier tech schools, at least for sciences, isn't just the name... it's the chance to be mentored by the cream of the crop in the scientific field you choose.

So while he shouldn't just quit a field altogether because he didn't get into an upper tier school, there will still be a pretty substantial difference in possible future innovation (top compared to lower tier).

>> No.4587321

>>4587284
I've just been reading up on the best Physics schools in the country, and MIT seems to be highly regarded. I just want to get the best education possible and learn the most pertinent information towards my field of study. If a smaller school has a better physics program, I would be perfectly happy studying there.

>> No.4587327

>>4587317

Because the number of papers your name is attached to is EVERYTHING!

>> No.4587344

http://web.mit.edu/physics/people/faculty/index.html

Sections can be separated by specific field on the far right box. Keep in mind, if they do contact you back... they most likely will expect you to know what you claim to know. In that case, do not bluff these people, EVER.

>> No.4587355

>>4587321

Use http://www.usnews.com/rankings for local schools and ranking.

Some schools think usnews is bullshit and don't submit / don't care about rating.

This is where you go to schools websites, Physics programs and look at faculty.

Rock-star profferssors have a long list of publications, 3+ current PhD students (having written a book or two is also very good indication) You can also look at their number of time their papers being cited, etc.

In worst case just google their name and see how many hits you get.

>> No.4587357

>>4587327

What? This wasn't my point at all. Unless you're claiming the faculty at MIT phys departments got to their position through quantity instead of quality. In which case, no... they didn't.

>> No.4587378

>>4587357

Yea, but true recognition and glory really comes when you get a tenured professorship at MIT.

>> No.4587512

>>4587138
I want to help you, I really do, but I'm far too distracted by Panda Cheese.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X21mJh6j9i4

>> No.4589110

>>4587310
Wait, what's wrong with my spelling?

>> No.4589230

OP, are you at a community college right now? Transferring to MIT is very difficult. I have known people that have done it at Caltech and Stanford. They were straight A students, but all had special talents.

One guy I knew was a very talented musician, he transferred from Pasadena College to Stanford as an electrical engineer.

I could only find MIT data from 2008, they took 16/300 applicants. I imagine they all had perfect transcripts, so you will need some other skill/talent to stand out.

http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/transfer_wrapup_2008

>> No.4589951

>>4589230
No, not community, just a smaller local school.
I've also been looking at places like Madison, which is a top ranked physics school, while still being viable to get into.
If anyone knows of any schools which aren't next to impossible to get into with a strong physics program, I'd be glad to hear those as well.