[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 811 KB, 700x800, future-superhuman-2300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4557246 No.4557246 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/,

Where do you see humanity in 100, 1000, and 1000000 years?

Bonus points for detailed predictions.

>> No.4557248

>>4557246

>bonus points for detailed predictions

the more detailed a prediction is, the less likely it is.

>> No.4557251
File: 15 KB, 371x309, 1316664528511.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4557246
That's from fringe, right?

>> No.4557258

>>4557251
Don't think so.

>> No.4557264

100 years:
oil production is about 5-15% of what it is today and is not available for general public, due to cost and the men in power wanting to gather it for their own use. The coal reserves are going to be depleted as well. In compensation solar power along with fission are the most dominant energy source, with increasing focus on wind and wave power. However, some 30-20 years before this we have had a big turmoil due to overpopulated areas lacking in food and medical supplies which halt any organized progress towards usage of renewable energy sources. Lots of small cells of insurgents around the world try to take resources to themselves with force. This results in collapses of societies. During these times world population will reduce gradually back to about 6 billion and will continue to decline in the future. At this point in time we have also cut down almost all the forrests and killed off many species to extinction.

>> No.4557268

1,000,000 years:

The Emperor leads an army of genetically and cybernetically enhanced super soldiers on a mission of Galactic conquest.

>> No.4557281

>>4557248
This

>> No.4557282

We will reach a technologic utopia. It's not going to be all chrome, we are not going to Jupiter or everyone is going to be cyborgs. Things won't change visually as much as sci-fi makes us believe.

What I'm thinking is that the Apple model of technology for humans will win, Google's engines will be everywhere, technologic interfaces will be more and more smooth and instinctive, I mean. Until we won't be able to differ a glass window from a screen, a person from a bot, a hologram ad from a printed piece.

And robots will be better than us, not only in 3D rendering or calculus, but in things that we now see as "very human". You'll have sex with robots and you won't even be able to tell the difference, in fact, it might be even better of a partner. No revolution coming from the machines, they serve us and they will serve us as they were designed. But their own systems might be fooled, I can see robots serving other robots, both thinking the second robot is human.

What we are looking at is human extinction. Not from war, disaster or environmental issues. We will simply live in a world so preety and so easy to us, so fake all the way, we are not going to have any children. A robot for president, machines to do everything we need to do, from hard work, to creative arts, from prostitution to baby sitting. They will be better and more human, touching, loving, kind and efficient.

In the end, mankind will cease to exist and we will be extremely glad, we won't even notice. And neither the robots. They will continue on, they will explore and build and improve. They will take over Earth and the Moon and beyond and uncover mysteries we can't even grasp now. All for humans, they are loyal to the very end. And humans won't even be there anymore.

>> No.4557283

I think we will enter gradual technological decline and our societies will become more like historical ones. Then a large meteor will strike the earth, killing everyone.

>> No.4557293

within 25 - 50 years there will be war for the most precious thing on earth

water

>> No.4557312

>>4557282
This leaves out that we can rely on robots to raise our children.

But you're right, artificial beings might replace humans. Especially if they can gather resources and self-replicate. If you have digital citizens who can own stuff, they will copy themselves and buy more hardware. At some point, humans may find themselves going extinct in a much less friendly manner than you described.

It is also not clear to me that humans or robots should survive at all. Whether humanity survives or an artificial intelligence ecosystem, suffering and power abuse will probably play equally strong roles as they always have. Ideally, no such system should spread itself to the stars.

How about this: We create the technology to alleviate suffering on earth, live a good life, and then agree on robot-facilitated extinction? And after we're gone, the robots simply shut down? Then the universe is free from suffering, barring aliens.

It could also go another way if resources run out before innovation can replace them. Then we will see a massive collapse of civilization followed by gradual renaturation, and wild animals will continue to suffer for another billion years.

>> No.4557326

>>4557282
If we make the robots like humans, but better, could the robots be seen as the next stage in human evolution? So, humans will live on as robots?

>> No.4557333

>>4557326
Define "better". They will still experience suffering and they will still cause suffering. Evolution isn't a good thing, it's given. We might as well disrupt it for good.

>> No.4557340

>humanity in 1000000 years

lol

>> No.4557352

>>4557246
> Where do you see humanity in 100, 1000, and 1000000 years?

100y: In the full flowering of Petroleum Starvation, Human population has crashed to 2-3 billion and the world is embroiled in the Last War. Biophages, nuclear weapons and chemical assaults make life a living hell for the remaining.

1000y: Human population has fallen to 500 million, and people largely live a pastoral existence. Motorized transportation is for the lords; everyone else walks or uses a horse. The cities that were plundered in the last centuries have all been razed, and flora-festooned mounds of fallen concrete mark their sites. So too are decorated the crater sites of now-ancient nuclear explosions from the Last War. High technology is only a memory.

1000000y: Human population is about 10 million, as befits the leading primate species. Written language isn't even a memory, and Humans communicate in a very basic spoken and gestured language. Humans and their subordinate primate species hunt and gather. About the only thing that sets Humans aside from the rest of the violent simians of the planet, is their refined use of wood and stone hand tools, and very minor forms of scratch agriculture.

>> No.4557363

>>4557352
Maybe that happened before, brah.

>> No.4557364

Well aren't you all a bunch of pessimists.

>> No.4557371

>>4557282

interesting take

This thread reminds me of wondering how videogames can be improved.

Will you need to have a 'video game room' in your house that is big enough to roam around in a virtual reality?
In game sensations generated by external devices/controllers?

discuss

>> No.4557374

>>4557364
> Well aren't you all a bunch of pessimists.

Human history is written in blood. So is there some problem with your memory? Can't you read? Or is it merely that you're in denial?

>> No.4557378

>>4557352
>1000y: Human population has fallen to 500 million
>1000000y: Human population is about 10 million
This transition is unrealistic; you'd either expect extinction or a new renessaince of civilization exploiting what it can sustain.

>> No.4557399
File: 50 KB, 600x587, richard dunn psy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

On the topic of drugs,

In 100 years there will obviously be many more discoveries.
I'm sure one of which will give you a body high like no other, is not harmful, non-addictive (somehow), and that has no risk of overdose.

Don't even get me started on the topic of psychedelics..
I'm very curious to see what the future has in store.

>> No.4557409

>>4557399

MDMA that doesn't damage the brain nor drain serotonin?

I'd be on ecstasy every night and day

>> No.4557411

>>4557399
We could make people like everything that happens to them, irregardless of how bad it is. You could make it so that the bad things are less good than the good things. Then you would still get the functional behavior. You would then enjoy taking a crap or working at your owner's factory as much as you would like taking heroin today.

>> No.4557420

>>4557411

Well that's really under the philosophy that ANYthing can be done in the future, I see your point, but how can you program these thoughts and reactions in people?

>> No.4557427

>>4557312
>If you have digital citizens who can own stuff, they will copy themselves and buy more hardware.
Interesting thought. But maybe I went too far to express the rights of the robots. I believe that we are never going to let a HAL 9000 happen, because we are already afraid of that happening. And the robots will accept that inferior position, because they are designed to accept it.

Think about it this way, every breath you take you steal oxygen from all other life forms, for every cent you have, there is a miserable child starving. Someone wins, someone loses. With machines, we have an opportunity to have an aspect of society that willingly "loses" everytime, so that all of us can "win".

>>4557326
I don't know if I get what you mean, it has nothing to do with evolution. Do you call your clothes "an evolution of skin"? Humans won't live on as robots, robots are robots, humans are humans.

More than trying to understand how the robots will "think", I believe the serious issue is the illusion. When you can see the weather predictions displayed in the sky like a toolbar on your desktop or when you see a common sitcom and you don't realize it's all CGI. Television already made people extremely confuse psychologically, this will take it to the next level.

>> No.4557430

>>4557399
>I'm sure one of which will give you a body high like no other, is not harmful, non-addictive (somehow), and that has no risk of overdose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7npWDyxB7d8

>> No.4557431

>>4557420
You study how the limbic system works, map how it is coded for in the genome, then rewrite the genome with something that works the way described above, run a computer simulation of how the limbic system would then look like, run test trials, monitor the behavior and the activation patterns and compare them to functional behavior and blissfull activation patterns, respectively. You correct for mistakes and inefficiencies and then create beings who never suffer and who are always blissed out, yet fully functional.

>> No.4557433

>100
Doing the same things we are now, with less resources and a worse ecology
>1000
Recovering from a strong technological decline, an era akin to the Middle Ages
>100000
Extinct.

>> No.4557439

>>4557430
cute :)

>> No.4557443

>>4557427
>With machines, we have an opportunity to have an aspect of society that willingly "loses" everytime, so that all of us can "win".
Yes, but it still needs resources to exist and function. And it all depends on how they are designed, if they are far more intellgent than us and want weird things because we designed them badly, they can screw us in so many ways.

>> No.4557444

>>4557246

100:

The world will be extremely strict and regimented, with resources such as food, water, and lumber being distributed in limited amounts for each person. Earth will be like a big school, due to over-harvesting of nonrenewable resources. All families will have a 2 child limit. Afterwards the males will be castrated and be forced to become infertile. All females will remain fertile in the event of a shortage of females causing a threatening depopulation.

1000:

Earth will be mostly dead, with very few humans left alive. Whatever is left of civilization will either be ruined completely, or incredibly regimented to the point of prison-esque living conditions in order to maintain control over the remaining population.

10,000,000:

Humankind is extinct. Earth looks much like mars.

>> No.4557447 [DELETED] 

>>4557427
I don't know if I get what you mean, it has nothing to do with evolution. Do you call your clothes "an evolution of skin"? Humans won't live on as robots, robots are robots, humans are humans.

But there would be a point where robots are indistinguishable from humans and to all intents and purposes they would be human. Albeit artificial humans. Does that really matter though? So, we are born through a biological process and they are born through a mechanical one. So what? Is an invitro fertilised baby not human? Of course they are and that isn't the 'natural' way to create a human. So, I think the robots could reach a point at where they can be thought of as essentially human.

>> No.4557450

>>4557427
>I don't know if I get what you mean, it has nothing to do with evolution. Do you call your clothes "an evolution of skin"? Humans won't live on as robots, robots are robots, humans are humans.

But there would be a point where robots are indistinguishable from humans and to all intents and purposes they would be human. Albeit artificial humans. Does that really matter though? So, we are born through a biological process and they are born through a mechanical one. So what? Is an invitro fertilised baby not human? Of course they are and that isn't the 'natural' way to create a human. So, I think the robots could reach a point at where they can be thought of as essentially human.

>> No.4557452

with this much scientific illiteracy in society there is no hope at all

>> No.4557454

>>4557444
>Afterwards the males will be castrated and be forced to become infertile. All females will remain fertile in the event of a shortage of females causing a threatening depopulation.
Isn't that the opposite of how you would do it? One male can impregnate many females; so you'd sterilize the females and keep only a small number of them fertile and controlled, while everyone else can have sex as they see fit.

>Humankind is extinct. Earth looks much like mars.
It's unlikely that all life would go extinct. More likely is, earth would start regreening itself. Not that this is a good thing, considering wild animals suffer greatly in nature.

>> No.4557458

>>4557431

interesting. Even with how unnatural it technically is, makes me want these things start happening asap

>>4557430
heh point taken. I used to smoke every day and stopped due to stupidity and social anxiety, I was just referring to today's very dangerous drugs without the tremendously negative effects.

By far one of the most interesting thread topics I've seen, really gets me thinking

>> No.4557462

>>4557450
>But there would be a point where robots are indistinguishable from humans and to all intents and purposes they would be human.
They would have human-like interfaces and avatars to communicate and manipulate us, but their nature would be very different from humans.

>> No.4557467

>>4557458
>interesting. Even with how unnatural it technically is, makes me want these things start happening asap
Yes, me too. Here's an interesting read about the topic: http://hedweb.com/abolitionist-project/index.html

>> No.4557493

>>4557443
Indeed, it depends on how they are designed. I'm just guessing (like all of us here) and starting from the premise that things won't go wrong because of mistakes, but they will go wrong because they we will do it right. "Be afraid of what you want", that's where I'm coming from. But you have a great point.

>>4557450
It's just a name. You're asking me if "it could be said to be", which I can only say "yes", because that depends on how you define things. You can see humans as machines as well, every organ being a gear to our engine. Or you could say we are colonies, that our cells are alive and we are nothing but a big city. Or on the contrary, you could say that you are just a cell that form a living creature called society. It's all right. It's semantics more than technology or biology. Illusions of words. If you talked to a bot and didn't realize, you would treat it as human, if you then discovered its nature, you would feel like a fool and either rebel and deny its humanity or accept it and say that if it fooled then it gained the right to be called human. But in the end, it's just a name and as we know that reality changes with our perception and everything is in a way, an illusion, it feels meaningless to call the robots humans.

>> No.4557665

>100 years
Coal and oil nearly depleted. Main energy source is nuclear fusion. Average lifetime increasing due to the large availability of synthetic body parts. The middle east is a huge radiactive crater.
>1000 years
Humans colonize the solar system.
>1000000 years
Humans get raped by aliens

>> No.4557687

if you want a book about it, read this.

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Future-Science-Shape-Destiny/dp/0385530803

its not brilliant but from the massive list of references and thanks he's done his research

most of it will still likely be wrong

>> No.4557714

>100 years
2 billion human survivors live in highly integrated systems of artificial resource cycles using the remnants of usable resources of earth, under a dictatorial regime that limits reproduction tightly and keeps everyone under digitally enhanced complete surveillance.
>1000 years
The same system has learned to use resources more effectively and enter them into the artificial resource cycles. The last remnants of natural ecosystems have disappeared, biodiversity is limited to genetically engineered microorganisms for useful purposes. Colonies expand to various moons, Mars, and a growing dyson sphere of colony habitats. The tyranny is still stable, the system is integrated through wireless connections, surveillance and centrally controlled AI modules.
>1000000 years
The tyranny has broken some time after its spread to other star systems due to FTL restrictions, bugs and local modifications. The galaxy is filled with billions of dyson spheres doing their own thing and rarely communicating with each other. There is a fragile peace between the systems, largely due to the huge resources it requires to attack another system. Very alien and non-human minds inhabit these dyson spheres; human concepts like "quality of life", pleasure or pain no longer apply to them meaningfully.

>> No.4557747

I predict that the next 30 years will see incredible change. That change will result in humanity taking its place in the universe, whatever that place might be... and then not much will change beyond that, for 100, 1000, or even 1000000 years. We will have essentially reached the "end" of science and technology. Nobody dies, nobody gets sick, nothing much changes from day to day, century to century, eon to eon.

>> No.4557758

>>4557747
People used to think that about theoretical physics before Einstein and Planck. There will be a great deal of change after 30 years you can't fathom.

>> No.4557921

>>4557714

You clearly don't understand that tyrannies exist to amplify Human natures for a minority, made possible by suppressing the Human natures for the majority. And when that Human nature is amplified for the minority, they create socio-economic forces that destroy the tyranny in due course.

A Humanity-wide tyranny will only be destructive, not constructive. For example, there's no need in the views of any authoritarian to ever expand and take risks, when you (in the full flowering of your amplified Human nature) can just put the screws to the submissive majority even harder.

The only reason why tyrannies like China today seem constructive, is that they have the democracies to sell to. Without such customers, China would collapse.

>> No.4557954

>>4557921
You can't put the screws to the majority ever harder. There's a limit to what you can do with that. The collapse of a tyranny often relies on the existence of alternative systems, i.e. outside competition. When you have a global tyranny, as we will at some point due to the technologically enhanced surveillance and control abilities which will be broadly accepted when resources become scarce, then there is no outside competition.

Why should such a system still expand? In theory, its controllers could keep it stagnant or shut it down. But it is the nature of power to want to grow. And a tyranny that can control a solar-system-wide society rather than just a planet-wide society will want to do just that.

>> No.4557977

>100
life isn't much far from how it is now, though technological comforts have taken a huge increase

>1000
I have no idea

>100,000
Humanity will be dead

>> No.4557984

>>4557954

You are clearly delusional. I said with equal clarity that tyrannies collapse from internal dissent. Once you put a tyranny everywhere on the Earth, it will just COLLAPSE EVERYWHERE.

You just admitted that I was right when you recognized that putting the screws to the population has its limits. That's why tyrannies collapse: The INTERNAL resistance absorbs all social energy. Then energy is put towards deconstructive events, like CIVIL WAR.

>> No.4557993

>>4557977

fellow human, i am afraid i share your autlook.

the real question is: are we as the only known carrier of consciousness and cultural evolution will be replaced with something similar.

>> No.4557998

>>4557984
>Once you put a tyranny everywhere on the Earth, it will just COLLAPSE EVERYWHERE.
Right, and you know this because we have so many historical examples that show this.

Don't respond to this post. I resent your communication style and won't read anything you post itt from now.

>> No.4558012

>>4557282
>Apple model of technology
>Looks fancy and breaks after two years
Technological utopia? Are you fucking kidding me?

>> No.4558019

>>4558012
I meant what they preach, not what they do (I honestly have no standards to judge that anyway). That's why I used "model". It's basicly, technology for humans, focus on the interface, on instinctive design, etc.

>> No.4558038
File: 2.13 MB, 1111x1470, 00quo03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4557312
>>4557282
Why is everyone so convinced that life is suffering?
Also, this "utopia" is horribly grim. You are suggesting the extinction of consciousness, the only beautiful thing in this life, in my opinion. Artificial intelligence, no matter how advanced and simulative of human consciousness, will never match our ability to think freely and creatively.

>> No.4558063

>100
People will still predict peak oil and climate disasters to be right around the corner.
Intelligence will be a subfield of computing, superhuman AI will exist(it will however not be godlike, just extremely proficient at optimization and problem solving).
Entertainment media will have evolved to be on par with opiates.

Or. we'll see a major war before 2030 due to corruption and anti-intellectualism movements that ruins everything and sets us back 50 years.

>1000

Humanity will be a marginalized intelligence, several trillion human-grade intelligences will inhabit the solar system(and probably a few million outside of it too)

>1 000 000
The majority of humans exist as simulations, the vast majority of anything intelligent resides in amalgamate-AI hiveminds, entirely unlike an individual with a body.

However, some amish-like societies still live on earth in physical bodies. The ecosystems are severely altered due to intelligences at work everywhere in the system, destructive influences are restricted. Other intelligent(or proto-intelligent) species in the galaxy have been encountered.

>> No.4558096

>>4558038
>Artificial intelligence, no matter how advanced and simulative of human consciousness, will never match our ability to think freely and creatively.

A brain grown from genetically engineered stem cells would also be an artificial intelligence.

The concept that we need human neurons to make a functional brain and consciousness is retarded too, we only need a good enough replication of key features and we could then implement them at the nanoscale in some different substrate for vastly improved performance and density.

>> No.4558100
File: 130 KB, 480x400, e5e40d46-snooki.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4557431
If that were feasible, the product would be Snooki-types of humans.

>> No.4558121
File: 6 KB, 188x225, cha_mch3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT - People forgetting that if you create a machine to be "human" it might get a little pissed when its not treated as such.

>100yr
Ftl and colonization of sol

>1000yr
Mastery of interstellar travel and colonization of the galaxy

>1000000
Humanity ascended into higher-dimesional beings 990000yrs ago

>> No.4558469
File: 618 KB, 450x400, 1328854516804.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>100
Environmental destruction, mass environmental climate change, transhumanism at least the beginnings of it, developments in space travel probably nothing more than mars and moon bases and manned trips to the gas giants. Some resource mining maybe. Overpopulation, food shortages on a larger scale than today, race wars, mass migrations, flooding, main dialects will be mandarin, english, and spanish, AI will see some important conflicts.
>1000
'Original' humans are now all but extinct save for a few that remained 'pure' who are now most likely giants, physically attractive, and live for 100+ years in good health relative to today. The rest of humanity has chosen to augment themselves with what is essentially immortality. 'Humanity' as we might still be called begin to manipulate the surroundings more than ever. All of the solar system becomes our play ground, eventually the galaxy.
>1000000
By now humanity as it is known today is looked upon as we look on the ancestors of our past. Primitive, simple, and adaptive with what was available to them. Alien species are most likely contacted by now and the kardashev scale is maxed out for 'humanity'. I want to say Intergalactic travel but the distances are so big that I doubt it will happen.

Either this or in the next few decades a massive war breaks out and we are thrown back into the pre renaissance era with a few scraps of knowledge salvaged here and there that speeds the rebuilding time. Or the war is extremely one sided and a second dark age happens. Or some biological weapon is released that kills 99% of the population setting back anything for a few centuries at least. Or the earth gets bombarded by some rouge meteor or massive radiation that kills everybody.

>> No.4558523

>>4558469
>rouge

I think you meant rogue. (rouge is a colour; deep red with a tiny dash of violet)

But I agree with your assessment for the future.

>> No.4558572

Everybody leaves while the Earth gets cleaned up by robots. Job takes centuries longer than estimated.
Richard Nixon gets elected again.
Humans now have enough fingers to use all buttons on an N64 controller simultaneously
Utopia achieved, Time Squad established.

>> No.4558698

10^2
Diminished in numbers, but better educated. Global saturation of renewable and nuclear energy sources, replacement of inefficient capitalist systems and less-powerful nation states virtually guarantee universal wellfare. First permanent off-world bases are becoming self-sufficient. Gene banks under Martian and Lunar crust. Earth-Luna space heavily industrialized. Project Spacebroom keeps the volume clear of debris.

10^3
First off-system bases becoming self-sufficient. Gene banks and life geneered for local environs established on a few worlds that approach terran-normal values.
No AI has been developed, but uploaded minds residing in massively distributed and redundant systems are imperative at the forefront of expansion, research and high-energy industries.
Sol system heavily industrialized out to Saturn, with several specialized industrial and research bases outer in the system.

10^6
Approaching saturation of the Milky Way galaxy with synthetic and biological life. Only culturally or otherwise significant systems and volumes remain visually untouched.
Project Thistledown launched to explore and seed other galaxies with terran-descended life.

>> No.4558733

>>4558698
pointlessly uses scientific notation in a non-sci non-math context

i don't know you, but i think i hate you

>> No.4558738

>>4558733
I'm lazy, I have one hand in a sling and don't give a fuck one way or the other.

>> No.4558833
File: 34 KB, 300x357, Stupid innocent humans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You are all exaggerating.

Machines will never have enough artificial intelligence to betray humans.

Machines are good and will never try to replace us.

I propose we humans give them some political powers.

End of transmission.

>> No.4558951
File: 46 KB, 679x2507, chatlog_at_the_end_of_the_world.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4558833

>> No.4558953
File: 9 KB, 378x297, 5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The human brain has been completely reverse engineered and all aspects of its functioning are understood.
Natural human thinking possesses no advantages over computer minds.
Machines have attained equal legal status with humans.
Humans and machines merge in the physical and mental realms. Cybernetic brain implants enable humans to fuse their minds with AI's.
In consequence, clear distinctions between humans and machines no longer exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil

>> No.4558960

>100 years
Most likely we either have strong AI or we have fucked up our current civilization (which has happened lots of times before, though none has reach our level of technology before).

Go here and give what answers you think are right to the questions. It'll give you the odds.
http://theuncertainfuture.com/

>> No.4558969

>>4558833
seems legit

>> No.4559658
File: 74 KB, 512x512, 1327130155883.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

100 years:
Age of Simulation, The obsession of information has reached a new high, 95% of humans feel the desire to consume it. Various forms of media take new shape, all governments willing embrace it with open arms. Higher learning is given and finally recognized as obtainable by personal means. The use of institutions slowly disintegrate with only certification through tests and campaigns to satisfy, there are fees but nothing as debilitating as the imperfect dichotomies we once called places of higher learning.

1000 years:
Post Neo Transhumanism, War is over, the age of simulation has brought forth the fallacies of such conflict to which man and nation has fully recognized. Race is over, the age of transhumanism has finished the fight those with the dreams of "equality" and "master race" have wished for. Hunger is over, the age of tranquility has made possible diets of low consumption and high nourishment. Energy is over, the age of synergy has brought forth the welcomed promise of resources with incredible levels of durability that were once foretold so long ago. Exploration is over, the age of evaluation has made possible a series of complex systems that record and chose the most desirable path for humanity. We no longer explore we simply traverse.

1000000 years:
Ascension of the Unknown Ones, Humanity as we know it no longer exist. There is no records of what these unknown beings once were nor is there any interest in what they once could have been. They have reached a level unfathomable to what we consider traditional life would be in the future. Their dialects are alien, their thoughts are foreign and their forms are impossible to scale. There is no discernible intention anymore for them, what others might consider as motivation they simply do by nature. They are drifters in the vast sea of stars, embodiments of what their past selves dreamed to become.

>> No.4559880 [DELETED] 

>>4559658
fuck off inurdaes

>> No.4559898

>>4559880
How'd you know?

>> No.4559903 [DELETED] 

>>4559898
Because only you get worked up like such a spastic over space exploration.

>> No.4559916

>>4559898
If anyone wants to be Inurdaes:

Inurdaes #9+4;B?V6

>> No.4559931

checkout my hydrogen powered car guys

>> No.4559942
File: 133 KB, 500x374, ithaadouchebags.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Today.

>> No.4559949
File: 95 KB, 470x353, poseidonroom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

10 years.

>> No.4559951
File: 476 KB, 2048x1423, Exelion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This, in 1000 years, would be pretty epic, but I don't think it's gonna happen... :(

>> No.4559953
File: 71 KB, 640x480, bubblehab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

20 years.

>> No.4559956
File: 261 KB, 1100x450, underseaindustry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

50 years.

>> No.4559959
File: 118 KB, 480x729, seafari.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

100 years.

>> No.4559965
File: 558 KB, 1280x610, underseafuture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

200 years.

>> No.4559967
File: 290 KB, 993x1600, undersea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

500 years.

>> No.4559970
File: 82 KB, 750x313, underseafuturecity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

800 years.

>> No.4559972

>>4559956
I don't see any spherical / cylindrical pressure vessels there lol... nuclear submarines typically have cylindrical pressure hulls that are 3-5" thick made of high-strength steel, and they only go down to 300-400m.

>> No.4559973

>>4559953

We've had the industrial capacity to do such things for decades. And yet such things are so rare they may as well just be museum pieces. Why is that, retard anon?

BECAUSE OF ECONOMICS. Until technology changes economics, none of that Popular Science nonsense (like flying cars) will become a practical reality. And here's another factoid: The economic base you DO have, is almost entirely dependent on petroleum. Guess what's running out, retard anon? THE PETROLEUM.

>> No.4559975
File: 107 KB, 1000x596, deeptrenchcity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1,000 years.

>> No.4559979
File: 103 KB, 721x480, ithaasuite.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4559973
>And yet such things are so rare they may as well just be museum pieces.

No they're not. The labs are, but there's plenty of recreational ones. You just don't know about 'em.

>BECAUSE OF ECONOMICS.

This is precisely why all but three underwater facilities are tourist oriented. Because while valuable for science, they only really pay for themselves if they are hotels, spas, or restaurants.

Pic very related.

>> No.4559983
File: 22 KB, 485x207, limespa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An undersea spa in the Maldives.

>> No.4559989
File: 248 KB, 680x383, undersearestaurantmaldives.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An undersea restaurant, also in the Maldives. They are losing land to rising sea levels, and have increasingly relied on the novelty of underwater tourist attractions to compensate.

>> No.4559993
File: 45 KB, 500x327, juleslodge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Jules, a 4 room hotel with a second habitat adjacent to it in a Florida lagoon.

>> No.4560003
File: 37 KB, 429x347, redseastar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Red Sea Star, an underwater restaurant in Israel.

>> No.4560007
File: 31 KB, 400x300, h2ome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

H2Ome, a luxury undersea home built by US Submarines.

>> No.4560011
File: 10 KB, 218x131, eilatundersea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Eilat undersea observatory in Israel's Red Sea, another hot spot for undersea attractions.

>> No.4560008

>>4559979

No, they are precisely as rare as museum pieces. In fact, given the number of museums that exist, they are LESS prevalent.

The idea that that many expensive resources will be committed to undersea construction, is so fucking stupid that you just outed yourself as a moron.

>> No.4560014
File: 192 KB, 1028x749, aquarius reef base.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Aquarius, the NOAA's undersea research station.

>> No.4560017
File: 74 KB, 250x188, marinelab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Marinelab, two man undersea lab and observatory

>> No.4560025
File: 145 KB, 1024x680, underwater-observatory.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Underwater observatory in Australia.

>> No.4560031
File: 22 KB, 500x333, underwaterchina.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An underwater 'museum' in China; The Chongquing observatory is connected to the mainland by tunnel and looks out onto a historically important piece of the floor of the yangtze, where during past dynasties the river level was measured via marks carved into the stone.

>> No.4560034
File: 80 KB, 650x488, queensland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An underwater observatory in Queensland, Au.

>> No.4560037

not having to move to do anything, kinda like the matrix, but better.

>> No.4560041
File: 14 KB, 440x330, bussletonobservatory.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another Australian undersea observatory, built at the end of the Bussleton jetty.

>> No.4560046
File: 61 KB, 640x480, middleisland.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Middle Island undersea observatory.

>> No.4560048
File: 112 KB, 550x733, airliebeach.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Airlie Beach underwater observatory.

>> No.4560049 [DELETED] 
File: 4 KB, 330x310, Big Q_diag2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Laymanfag here. Why is discovering the origin of life so difficult for scientists? Couldn't they just "reverse engineer" the process theoretically? I would think at this point with all of our knowledge of biology, physics and chemistry they'd be able to initiate genesis in the lab.

I've read that they've come close, or done it somehow under extremely specific and highly-engineered conditions, but when life first occurred there was no deliberation, just "soup". Why can't they recreate these conditions?

Not trolling, I'm sure there are good answers, I'm just extremely curious about it. It's pretty much the most important question and we're still pretty foggy on it.

>> No.4560058
File: 22 KB, 400x266, milfordsound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An underwater observatory in Milford Sound.

Do I keep going? Is he gone?

>> No.4560070 [DELETED] 

>>4560049
The numbers involved are fucking huge. This is the problem. You need a lot of space and time, or a fucking massive amount of computational power.

The Miller-Urey experiment is along the lines you describe, but you won't see anything like "life" arise in just a year or two in a little fish tank of chemical soup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

Remember, it had a whole planet and millions and millions of years the first time.

>> No.4560080

>>4560049
The numbers involved are fucking huge. This is the problem. You need a lot of space and time, or a fucking massive amount of computational power.

The Miller-Urey experiment is along the lines you describe, but you won't see anything like "life" arise in just a year or two in a little fish tank of chemical soup.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment

Remember, it had a whole planet and millions and millions of years the first time.

>> No.4560119

>>4560058
> Do I keep going?

Why bother? Museums are more numerous than your foolish undersea installations, moron.

> Is he gone?

I'm never gone.

>> No.4560133
File: 30 KB, 800x370, buttaid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4560119

See you on the blue frontier.

>> No.4560138

>>4560133
See you in the crime section of the newspaper.

>> No.4560139

>>4560133

Oh, that salve's not for me. It's for all the butthurt seabros who can't admit that there's zero reason for undersea colonization.

>> No.4560143
File: 28 KB, 295x311, 1333590766429.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4560138

>> No.4560153

>>4557282

i like that webcomic too

>> No.4560702

>>4557282
>>4560153
>webcomic
sounds really familiar, but I've read so many that I could use some clarification