[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 500x305, apocalypse-6-500x305.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4552891 No.4552891 [Reply] [Original]

For some reason, you have been sent back in time to medieval England.

You are only equipped with what you have on your person right now.

How are you going to use your existing knowledge of science and technology to be recognized as a genius and perhaps become the ruler or adviser of what could be the most technologically advanced civilization at the time?

>> No.4552898

i would be killed immediately. they didn't like magic i guess.

>> No.4552907

I'd probably immediately get cast off to the side because i'm walking with a limp from a fucked up testicle.

Ent fun.

>> No.4552917

I guess I would first proof that the Earth orbits the sun with Foucalt's pendulum (pretty easy). Then invent the Printing Press. Then I would build a harem of underage English girls.

>> No.4552919

I'd get sick and die, and be unable to communicate more than a few words with their Auld Anglais.

In that time, I would try to write down the basics: the speed of light, the metric system, proofs and significant equations, major advances in science, and some good philosophy stuff too if I have time.

I might also fib a little about how things will happen to try and trick the powers that be into avoiding major massacres and tragedies, because hell, I'm already changing shit, right?

>> No.4552920

Seeing how I'm wearing a bathrobe and it's pretty cold this time of year, I probably die from exposure.

>> No.4552937

>>4552919

>In that time, I would try to write down the basics: the speed of light

Yes, I'm sure the most important bit of information you could impart to them would be something they won't be able to use or verify for the better part of a millennium.

>> No.4552953

So basically you guys have no practical knowledge of science that can be useful in any way whatsoever?

Thats pretty sad.

>> No.4552960

>>4552953

Sure we do. But they'd burn all of us that haven't bothered to learn old english at the stake, and possibly even those that did.

This thought experiment works better in ancient Rome/Greece.

>> No.4552963

>>4552953
yeah, i cry at night because i couldn't have done shit if i was sent back in time.

>> No.4552964

>>4552937
Yeah, but having it on the record seems worthwhile. Change the scenario a little: a supposed time traveler shows up nowadays from the far future. He's memorized some quantum constant that forms the basis of a lot of future tech, even if he can't communicate all the details of how it was discovered.

If he can provide enough corroborating evidence that he IS from the future, and that the constant he knows IS accurate, then we could more easily calibrate our current methods. It's the difference between getting in the car and driving with no plan, and knowing that your destination is 30.5 kilometers in an easterly direction (though you don't know any of the road names).

>> No.4552970

>>4552960

alright then, what could you have done in ancient greece/rome?

suppose you can speak their language.

>> No.4552971

>>4552953
Hey, equipped with what I have now, I could invent the ballpoint pen. With what I know, I could devise matchsticks, cigarettes, some germ theory, microscopes (assuming I can find some basic lens technology), firearms, and possibly a steam engine.

If I don't die right away, I could be an economic powerhouse.

>> No.4552976

I would start with the practical stuff. Printing press and electricity. Once I got that shit down pat I can move on to radio and TV and be recognized as a fucking genius. Then, only then will I begin to hint that I'm an Atheist and start hypothesizing about evolution and the nature of the cosmos.

>> No.4552977

>I guess I would first proof that the Earth orbits the sun with Foucalt's pendulum (pretty easy).

and where are you going to find a pendulum? you are in the middle of england with no money and no history. if the authority showed up and asked you where you are from, your inability to answer to land you in a dungeon.

>Then invent the Printing Press.

how are you going to find the capital to invent the printing press? you are still unable to converse with the local and your exotic material clothing would probably get you burned at the stake.

>> No.4552979

>He's memorized some quantum constant that forms the basis of a lot of future tech, even if he can't communicate all the details of how it was discovered.

no future tech rests on knowing a particular value for a quantum constant.

no current tech rests on knowing a particular value of any constant.

>> No.4552982

>>4552971

And how are you going to do all those?

Knowing how a microscope works is not the same thing as knowing how to build a microscope literally from the ground up.

>> No.4552988

>>4552979

>no current tech rests on knowing a particular value of any constant.

Pi. Cant make wheels without it?

>> No.4552992

hahaha, you people are delusional about your knowledge.

being put in medieval england (a rather bad description since it is a long period) the first thing you would need to do is find food and shelter.

most likely your retarded english would cause the authority to think youre a spy and sent to the dungeon.

or your cloth or belonging would cause you to be burned as a heretic.

if not, you have no jobs and can't get food.

>> No.4552999

>>4552988
>>4552988
>>4552988

wrong. wheel was invented before the idea of pi was even conceived.

i can make a wheel right now by cutting a tree with an axe and chop off a section, without even knowing how to count.

>> No.4553012

>>4552992

Your a retard.

The first thing I'd say is: "I am a messenger from God, sent to deliver great wisdom to your people. Take me to your King."

Itd be easier to convince them that they are the chosen people rather than I am a chosen messenger.

>funny clothes

This is what we wear in Heaven.

>funny accent

This is the way we speak in Heaven.

If they dont believe me, I'd take out my iPhone and show them a minor miracle.

>> No.4553028

>>4552982
If I understand the basic components, their assembly, and how to obtain those components, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

>>4552979
>no future tech
Don't even start that.

>no current tech
Depending on how you think about that dependence. We need the speed of light to get our understanding of general relativity, which we need to make things like satellite communication work.

>> No.4553032

>I am a messenger from God, sent to deliver great wisdom to your people. Take me to your King

got your head chopped off for being a heretic by the local clergyman to win favor with the regional religious leader

>This is what we wear in Heaven.

got your head chopped off to take your clothing to sell as exotic prestige item to the local nobility.

>This is the way we speak in Heaven.

got your head chopped off for being a foreign spy.

>If they dont believe me, I'd take out my iPhone and show them a minor miracle.

curious device. got your head chopped off so they can take the item and send it as a gift to the king to win favor so the local nobility can reduce taxation and marry his daughter to the son of the king and perhaps increasing the standing of the house.

your delusion that your technology will always give you advantage simply shows how stupid you are. you can have 10 phds but you won't survive an african jungle without local knowledge and the right tools. neither will you survive medieval england with your ipod and 2012 urbanite knowledge set.

>> No.4553036

>>4553032

>hurr durr, im too stupid to exploit other people. that means nobody can. nobody smurter than me hurr.

Retard.

>> No.4553038

Where do you people get all this burning and heresy crap from?

Really, they wouldn't give two fucks. What is so special about the future man?

>> No.4553043

>. We need the speed of light to get our understanding of general relativity, which we need to make things like satellite communication work.

so if you went back in time to 1434 and told someone c = 300km/s they can start making satellites?

again, no tech rests on knowing a particular value of a constant.

>> No.4553044

>>4553036
>>4553036

>name calling

>> No.4553045

ITT: everyone enjoy getting burnt at the steak

>> No.4553046

>>4553036

>told
>better greentext then call retard

>> No.4553050

>>4553028

Procurement you fucking idiot.

Most of us generally understand the components and mechanisms required to assemble a basic atomic bomb. Dosnt mean any of us have any means to make one, especially in a world where exact tools and measurements are virtually nonexistent.

Almost all of what we learn in the modern world is how to function in the modern world and make use of modern technology.

>> No.4553057

>>4553043

>lolol whats a kilo METRE
>sounds rather FRENCH

>> No.4553059

>>4553043
Are you kidding?

A. When did I say I thought I could make a satellite. The entire point of defining the SOL that way is just to bump things forward a little bit. To hell with what difference it makes while I'm around, it might make things easier once the rest of the vital technology catches up.

B. I think satellite tech actually DOES depend on knowing the constants involved, because we need those constants to make the tech work. So can you explain to me how that is NOT the case?

>> No.4553067

Steam Engine, Aerofoil

>> No.4553068

I'd find lolis to rape. Preferably ones without dank pussies and hairy bushes. I don't know what else I would want to do in such a shitty time period.

>> No.4553071

>>4553050
The basic components of a pre-electric microscope are nowhere NEAR an atomic bomb, you fuckwit.

I know how to get the parts for a pre-electric microscope, I know how to put them together. This isn't rocket science, bro.

>> No.4553082

>>4553059
>>4553059
>>4553059

try rereading the thread and comprehending it.

>> No.4553087

>>4553071
>>4553071
>>4553071

do you know how to polish lens? did they have a workshop in school?

no you don't. how would you procure a lens otherwise, you would need money. how do you get money without being able to speak.

not to mention anything you do would be super suspicious and liable to get your head chopped off for being a foreign spy.

>> No.4553088

>>4553082
Try comprehending words:

If a given article of technology depends on a given set of knowledge, even indirectly, then it is definably true that that technology depends on that knowledge.

>> No.4553101

>>4553087
Actually, I do. Or, I should say, I'm familiar with the concepts, and if I know what I'm supposed to be accomplishing, and have years of time in which I can consider the problem undistracted, then I think I could work my way into it.

Barring that, I could find an actual lensmaker and put the idea to him with an illustrated diagram.

Finding resources to survive? Use a little charisma, for god's sake man. People have done more with less.

>> No.4553103

>>4553071

>I know how to get the parts for a pre-electric microscope, I know how to put them together.

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PROCURE THEM YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

I can assemble a silicon circuit and I know how the components are made. HOW THE FUCK DO I GET THE COMPONENTS WITHOUT EVEN HAVING THE TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE THE TOOLS NEEDED TO MAKE THEM.

Every fuckwit knows how magnification works. Find me a fuckwit who can make a microscope with nothing on him.

>> No.4553112

>>4553101

Lensmaker: listen fuckwit, if I could have attained that degree of magnification and resolution with the tools I have, I would already have done it.

>hurr go to rocket man, tell him to make rocket ship

>> No.4553121

>>4553101
>>4553101

>Use a little charisma, for god's sake man

oh man. you should write a book. all these starving people in the world simply need to use charisma and food would be presented to them. these idiots. can't even charisma when their lives depend on it.

meanwhile, somebody is spending years figuring out how to polish lens because he had a general idea of how to do it but never done it in practice. ofc he has plenty of cash to buy lens to polish, owing to his great charisma, wiith which he obtains food in surplus to sell at the market.

>> No.4553123

>>4553103
Getting a couple lenses if there's no other human settlement for a thousand miles? Impossible pain in the ass. Getting lenses if the time portal drops me off near an actual city? Doable.

Difficult, but doable.

And fuck, if I can't get lenses, I could make matchsticks from a trip to a good apothecary. A ballpoint pen is a couple good tubes with some fine metalwork any amateur blacksmith could pull of if he knows what he's trying to do. Rudimentary firearms and steam engines are well within reach.

>> No.4553124

well making rocket is easy, i have a general idea and even if i coudln't i could jsut go to a rocket store and use my charisma to obtain some rockets.

>> No.4553128

>I could make matchsticks from a trip to a good apothecary.

with what currency?
you don't speak their language. they are not going to call the red stuff phosphorus. oh wait, you talk weird. maybe youre a french spy. lets call the authority.

they demand to know where you live. you can't answer. they demand to know how to got to town. you can't answer.

into the dungeon you go.

>> No.4553129

>A ballpoint pen is a couple good tubes with some fine metalwork any amateur blacksmith could pull of if he knows what he's trying to do

oh wow. holy shit.

which blacksmith knows how to make metal tip with 100 micron tolerance.

points me to one please.

>> No.4553137

>perpetuating the stake-burning legend in regard to the middle ages
Stop this. Witch hunts only happened widespread in the 17th century. It's much more likely you'd be brought before the king and paraded like an exotic animal or a court dwarf.

>> No.4553143

>>4553123

No you dont get it you fucking idiot.

If they knew how to procure phosphorous and sulfur, it would be obvious for any alchemist to know how to apply its chemical properties for obvious applications like starting a fire.

The same goes for all of what you listed. If they had access to gunpowder, they'd have invented firearms or at least rockets already.

Steam engines are WAY out of your reach idiot.

>> No.4553145

>>4553129
Well duh. You could get one anytime with enough charisma.

>> No.4553148

>>4553145

No no, dont make fun of him. With enough charisma you can become a sorcerer and conjure crap out your ass like the components of a ball point pen.

>> No.4553153

>>4553121
Jesus, how many words do you put into other people's mouths in a day?

If a man had no money, and was stuck with the same mundane knowledge of everyone around him, then charisma gets you jack and shit. If you have even basic access to the knowledge of a world 500 years ahead of your own time, you can do better. People have had to take long walks without food or supplies, to live off of their ability to mooch. Do a day's work, sleep in a barn, eat runny stew. Set a rabbit trap. Steal moldy bread. If you can stay alive and move, you've got a chance. Struggle every step with the knowledge that you have the knowledge to make a simple object that could change the world with a little luck.

>>4553129
Well, a quick jaunt to Wikipedia cites the first ballpoint pen patent as coming from a leather tanner in 1888. Now, I'll admit, maybe he was some sort of polymath with both leather skills and a mastery of smithing, but somehow, I'm skeptical. I don't have to make a fully functioning BIC, I have to get the concept crude, and convince someone smarter than me that there's some potential in it.

>> No.4553156

So i'd have a gun and 2 magazines of ammo. Jesus I'm fucked unless I can trick them there is no limit to the amount of bullets I can shoot. or it would be stolen while I was sleeping, or worst id be killed in my sleep.

I could attempt to explain shit, but I would not be able to do anything besides teach commoner children how to read and write for free.

>> No.4553169

>>4553153
>>4553153

holy fuck. you are at a disadvantage you idiot. you don't speak the language, you don't have any currency and you are wearing weird looking clothing that you can't explain how you obtained it.

and 1888 is already pass the industrial revolution. they already have electricity and machine tools to make things like ball point pen.

you are saying you could get a blacksmith to make you a ball point pen. the fact that you don't realise how retarded that is simply shows you are uber-retarded.

>> No.4553173

>besides teach commoner children how to read and write for free.

>implying commoner parents want you to teach their children to read and write

>implying you won't be hanged for attempting to subvert the status quo

>> No.4553182

>>4553169
The language barrier, in an immersion scenario, is not so intimidating.

Just occurring after the advent of the industrial revolution does not mean that every invention depended on machined components in every step.

Get a blacksmith to make it for me? Probably not. But the concept is there, a simple, if delicate, method addressing a common problem.

I think there's a way around the challenge. I'm not saying I WOULD be able to do it, but geez, I've already traveled back in time, I might as well go for the gusto with it.

Don't we remember Da Vinci as much for his ambition as for his achievements? How many people are inspired to find solutions to history's failed attempts?

That's certainly better than going back to the past and sad-sacking myself into doing nothing so I can starve and die.

>> No.4553200

>>4553182
>>4553182

ok so you can do it or not? you seemed to think you can. but after being called a retard and showed you are now fence-stting.

do you think you can make ball point pen using medieval period technology?

hint: you can't

>> No.4553204

>Just occurring after the advent of the industrial revolution does not mean that every invention depended on machined components in every step.

no. it means that the final product requires machined components. i.e. you can't get a blacksmith to do it.

nobody is suggesting what you are implying, but then again, you have to resort to strawman since you have been debunked so hard.

nothing in the world requires machined components in every step. but that doesn't matter. what matters if it requires it in any number of step or if it doesn't.

i guess you put all your points in charisma and not so much in intelligence

>> No.4553205

>>4553200
I think there's a way to do it, or do something close enough to call it a win. Maybe I'm wrong.

I never said my plan would definitely work, but what's the alternative? Convince myself it's impossible and give up?

>> No.4553206
File: 11 KB, 308x313, 1305635744780.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is /sci/ and not /retard/ right? the idea of how medieval England was like of certain people in this thread astonishes me.

>>4553068
go on a crusade and slay sandniggers for free.

>> No.4553231

I would probably try to reinvent the printing press, steam engine, penicillin and electricity in that order. I've got quite a bit of metallurgy trivia that may come in handy too

>> No.4553246

>>4553205
>>4553205

yes. that's the alternative.

>> No.4553250

>>4553231

another retard enters the thread

>> No.4553251

>>4552917
foucault's pendulum , just says the earth is spinning. though this can disprove the sun orbits the earth, you'll have to do more to show earth orbits the sun

>> No.4553254

i would become a monk

they accept waifs and strays with intelligence, and all intellectual pursuits were done by monks back then

>> No.4553257

>>4553250
Aw. Sounds like you're upset you couldn't reinvent any of that

>> No.4553278

>>4553206
what was it like and what'd you do in this situation?

>> No.4553310

>>4553257

>inventing penicillin

>claiming not to be a retard

choose 1

>> No.4553325

>>4553310
inventing it would be easy, producing enough of it to be clinically useful would be a huge challenge.

>> No.4553391

To everyone talking about "language barriers"

Old English is fairly similar to Frisian. Which is almost understandable for the average dutch speaker.

So I think there would be many people that will get by.

Also it only takes 2 weeks of immersian to learn a language.

>> No.4553407

using my knowledge of chemistry and physics and knowing that the the south of england has large deposits of uranium, i'll gather (quitely) a small group of followers to come with to this region and mine the uranium for me.

after i have acquired and smelted about 100kg of uranium (impure and will use conventional gunpowder to compress to critical point) i'll plant it in a kingdom of the opposition of the country i'd much rather work for. I'll then show them a symbol of my power and tell them to send scouts to that opposing city and they'll see the devistation that i would have caused, I would have to devise some primitive detonation system and use rellay nodes and would take a couple of years to do, but once i've shown the destructive power of the atom i could then rule over the world.

However if i wanted to progress society i'd teach about matter and tell them the simple rules about matter. "large dense nucleus of positive charge" teach them basic mathematic operators. That'll speed up scientific development, I'd also fuck the church in the ass

>> No.4553416

*runs to nearest plebian*
Me: "E=mc^2, haedron colliders, quantum theory, oh my..."
Plebian: "Only a fool would dress like that and only a fool would talk like that... I guess that makes you a fool.."
Me: "Wait, I mean, I come from the future! Oooooo! I share great things!!!!"
Plebian: "Guard! Heretic here! Call the priest and bring holy water, dunking cage, and whip!"

Smartest thing you could do is blend in the best you could, and use what you know to better yourself otherwise there may not be a "yourself."

>> No.4553429

Similar scenario

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangaku

>> No.4553430

>>4552891
Hi OP, didn't realise I was on reddit.

I build a stirling engine, smelt glass into a light bulb, suck air out with my mouth and seal it with cork, then show it to the king.

>> No.4553431
File: 35 KB, 419x544, cigar mud race.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>My face when I show them the little red laser beneath my wireless mouse and convince them I was sent by satan and troll the future by making them put it in a museum after I am drawn and quartered

>> No.4553435

I'd start with the basics. Invent printing press, electricity, teach them that God doesn't exist. Then once I have the foundation, I'd get a gun and take over the world.

>> No.4553438

>>4553435
You ought to probably invent the gun before you start telling everyone God doesn't exist. Pro tip.

>> No.4553440

I would: try to blend in as much as possible at first, not speaking to people just walking around the town and observing, trying to figure out what general time period I am in and what sorts of things I have knowledge of that they don't. I could most likely use my knowledge of first aid and sanitation to help individuals. I would try to integrate with families to have local support when I needed it. I would talk to higher up individuals, men who live on manors, I can provide knowledge on how to harvest crops more efficiently. I can go to universities and teach mathematics, I can provide basic visual proofs for much of calculus. I need to travel to a larger city where I can build and teach about primitive chemical batteries and resistors and capacitors. I can teach the city council how germs spread and about their cholera cases. once I have established myself in the city I can meet the highest up person, whom I will teach about sustainable civilization, and maintaining a sustainable civilization. while Im at it I might as well use my engineering skills to build the biggest building in the world, and have the navy of england enslave as many africans as are needed. (I joke)

>> No.4553445

I would become a polymath, these are the things about which I know enough to revolutionize thought at the time:

calculus, euclidian gravitation, penicillin, thermodynamics and engines, heritability of traits, geometric optics, maxwell's equations, relativity as motivated by electromagnetism

I would confirm and demonstrate these results with a variety of simple experiments: kater's pendulum, mercury lamp diffraction, etc.

And then, being but a lowly and ordinary man, I would let the great minds of the future take over from there and retire on my universal acclaim.

>> No.4553455
File: 73 KB, 300x400, airline.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1) sell my cellphone for MAXIMUM DOSH
2) set up a lab
3) invent shit out the arse
4) become royal scientist
5) make weapons and make entire world fell under THE EMPIRE

>> No.4553501

Assuming a best-case starting condition (say I'm am a linguist-history major specialising in Old English language and customs), I could probably get by. I'd have to steal some money or do menial labour.

If you're going for maximally impactful scientific advances with a minimum of starting technology, evolution is the way to go. It could conceivably have been discovered in ancient Greek times - all it requires is that you patiently document similar aspects of anatomy and connect the dots.

Getting burned at the stake is still an issue in this though.

>> No.4553504

>>4553278

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

>> No.4553505

>Medieval England
>advanced

>Not Han dynasty China or Muslims before Mongols fucked up their shit

>> No.4553513

>medieval england

id leave immediately for Bagdad where all the civilized and intelligent people are

>> No.4553541

1: standard units of measurement (ie. mass, distance, time)
2: the maths that I do know, (calculus, vectors, linear algebra, probability)
3: Newtons 3 laws (seriously how has anyone not suggested this yet)
4: Any other scientific laws and observations I can think of/remember
5: Lay out plans for inventions that can be produced with the available materials

I'm pretty sure this would set you up nicely. Assuming you aren't burnt at the stake upon your arrival.

>> No.4553543

>>4552891

Well, I'm wearing coloured clothes. Back in those times it meant that one was wealthy, so, instant ticket.

>> No.4553560

>>4553543
>instant ticket

For what? Being attacked by bandits and stripped naked?

>> No.4553623
File: 19 KB, 500x399, 1328958900480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would invent titanium for a start LOL. I would present the world's strongesat and lightest sword and armor to the king, and that would allow me to become his personal alchemist.

I will then create electricity via the steam engine and wind turbines.

From that point, I will create automobiles, batteries, torches, heating, lights and flying machines.

Then I will create guns and missliles.

I will then show them how to create steel structures, walls and bridges and create tanks.

I will then ask the king to bestop upon me the position of royal conqueror and send forth my power-armor, assault rifle and titanium wielding troops, backed up by planes and bombing ships.

We will spread over the world in every direction.
We will eradicate every living African
Eradicate every living being in the middle east
Eradicate the joos (I will create a crystal ball (some shiny thing with circuitry in it) and tell the kind they will corrupt society in the future.
I will tell the king to carefully watch over the colonies (like America... yes I'll discover america too) and make surte he keeps a firm check on then, without imposing harsh taxes and laws.
We will ally with the asians and bring them basically to our level, maybe slightly under it.

hopefully at this point I will have enough influence to persuade the king that we are not the only planet in the galaxy, and there are others to be conquered by huis divine bloodline... If he agrees (I will prove him we orbit the sun e.c.t) I will ensure everyone is fully educated to a standard and impose Spartan-ish laws where the weak are either cast out, or have a place to life by themselves, as the weak hold back humanity.

>> No.4553626
File: 52 KB, 191x181, 1327976971146.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4553623
By this point in the early 1500s (assuming thats around the time I get sent back) we should be at least in the 1900s category of technology and early 20th century standard of education.

From this point, the extreme level of education will hopefully eradicate any remaining religion tendances and we can begin to collectively make technological improvements that I cannot create with my only understanding (computers, nuclear power, geo-orbiting satellites)
By this point I would expect to be an old man, but I would have extended lifestyles to the point where society is nearly at 20th century standard, if not higher.
at the time of my death, they should be just about reaching early 21st century standards in technology.

500 years of technological and societal deelopment in a few short decades, with none of today's drawbacks or shitstain countries, cultures holding humanity back.

It will be glorious.

>I have royal ancestors in the Ludlow family of lords and am a native brit, so i should be accepted fairly well into society.

>> No.4553636

I failed High School maths so i guess i would show them my phone and get beheaded.

>> No.4553642
File: 39 KB, 799x428, City_destroyed_2006_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4553623
Your society in a few hundred years.

>> No.4553649
File: 2.51 MB, 2500x3334, 1332272089688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4553642
no this

the amazing city would be the followers of the prophet of science (me)

the slum area would be anyone who didnm't accept my teachings/native americans/asians if they refused

>> No.4553650

Printing press is a very good one. They had block printing, just not movable type. Still a major step forward.
I would add:
Circular saw: they were hacking back and forth at the time. grinder, router all kinds of circular tools.

Phonograph: pretty easy to build and very impressive.

Also, since the bugs in your body are 1000 years different from the bugs in theirs you would probably die quickly and take half of england with you.

Note: antibiotics can be collected from mold. if you got that down quick enough (Just drinking moldy water could save your life) you might make it. but that won't help with the virii

>> No.4553655

But first it would be handy to bring a gun along with ammo to prove that you are truly from the future

>> No.4553658

i would show them some new ways to kill wicthes

>> No.4553660

>>4553649
The slum area seems to be populated by white people.

>> No.4553661

>>4553626
>>4553623
also (adding to these)

I would bestow teachings that you should always expand and be inquisitive of the unknown and expplore it.

This would avoid stupoid situations like we are in now where we are trying to ''conserve'' everything and our stupid fucking ass governments actually want to have fertility rates lass than 1... I mean seriously? Have a population that isnt growing? It just stagnates... stagnation is death.

My society would stay true to at least 2 children per family to support the old generation with the encouragement that every young generation should be larger than the last, as to perpetuate a permanent healthy growing society, economically and cultuarlly.

This will encourage creative inventiveness and expansion to the stars.

I swear to god that our society's current demand for permanent stagnation will be the death opf us all.

>> No.4553665

>>4553310

inventing penicillin is easy. you can do it in the kitchen today.
it is naturally occurring. unrefined it will cause nausea and 1% will have violent possibly fatal allergic reactions but it beats the hell out of plague. seriously, it would save many lives.

>> No.4553673
File: 19 KB, 448x311, 1324119591700.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4553661
>Have a population that isn't growing?
>overpopulation isn't a problem
look at that nigger

>> No.4553676

>>4553660
yes, remember I wiped out the africans, joos and middle-eastern fucks right off the bat with my military conquest.

Native peoples of countries (excluding africa and middle eastern areas) would be allowed to live in their own sheltere communities, I would probably give them australia (while we mine its resources)

so that woiuld wipe out a lot of the ''dark races''
asians are generally white anyway, but they would most likely be living in the cities with us.

the only ones in the slums would be the religious and people who don't accept the society... or feminazis.

we wouldn't eliminate people by skin colour... thats stupid and just plain retarded... we would eliminate people by culture and genetics. (middle eastern, african, joo)

as for criminals, petty criminals would serve rehabilitation and community service, murderers (absolutely proven beyond doubt) would be cast out and placed on an island.... probably somewhere l;ike madagascar. It would be heavily guarded and completely walled off. They would never be allowed back into society.

pedos would suffer the same fate.
The government will be largely democratic, but the ultimate decision would be made by a special commitee (to reduce retarded people in the population influencing ideas)... like old people voting to fuck over everyone else but themselves.

>> No.4553686

>>4553673
governments in all developed countries heavily advocate sterilization and family planning. Places like india have distinct bans on large families, china has a 1 child policy (which is going to fuck them up in a couple of decades)

real population levels in western societies are dropping along with birthrates. They are increasing due to immigration.

developing ountries are largely reducing the rate of their population expansion and will levekl out in a couple of decades.

africa remains fairlty stable, with high death and birth rates.

the earth's population should reach a ''stable'' level by 2050 at around 11 billion. It will then begin to decline slightly.

>> No.4553688

Speaking both french & english I could establish myself as a teacher.
The strategy:

*Stay low-profile,
*Get in contact w/ the rational minds at that time. (scientists, poets? etc..)
*Suggest the invention of the imprimery (give the idea to someone else)
*Try to write down all the theorems, proofs I know and discuss them theoretically with mathematicians.
*Inspire the metric system (good idea)
*Medecine: inspire autopsy to some weird non-believer. Tell them the organs, the basic of blood etc...
* I could survive as adviser to a local lord.

low-profile is the key.

>> No.4553693

>>4553686
and your point is?

>> No.4553703

>>4553676
>middle-eastern fucks

What? So are you going to wipe the Mediterranean as well. also it sounds like you are eliminating by skin color because the middle east and Africa are fucking huge, and there a massive differences between the people living there.

>> No.4553705
File: 391 KB, 1600x747, 1329024423249.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4553673
also, overpopulation isn't necessarily about the ammount of people you have uin a place being ''oh so high'' its about how efficiently you can use land.

for example, a lot of land is simply not used for anything, agriculture or cities.
Cities are also in many cases large sprawling low-rise areas which don't make use of highrise buildings.

Africa for example, if managed my intelligent people instead of niggers, could be used to produce enough food to boost current food production by 4x... and thats with normal farming methods, rather than heavily efficient intensive farming.

power consumption isn't a problem either, we just switch from fossil fuel and inefficient green energy to nuclear and eventually orbit-based solar swarms.

medeival london was considered heavily overpopulated and at that time they didn't have any buildings more than 4 storeys. Its all about tech and efficiency. Overpopulation is largely a myth.

if it did get to the point of (see image) where most of the land is being used for cities or farming andyou are still having an expanding population, that is the time when you export populace around the solar system and enter the space age.

we aren't going to stay on this rock stuck at a perpetual population of 11 billion. We are eventualkly going to populate the other rocks around the solar system, then eventually orbiting ''ship-cities'' until we have a viable way to travel to other star systems.

>> No.4553711

>>4553693
that populations will at a point begin to decline due to governmental pressure and overpopulation is a farce.

>> No.4553729

i'm black...fuck this gay earth.

Seriously how would you defend yourself? I don't speak arab...

>> No.4553734

Travelling back in time woild throw all scientific principals or knoweldge that i know, i would try to blend inas they'd burn me and try to figure a way back.

>> No.4553744
File: 226 KB, 660x728, Human knowledge 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've thought about this scenario quite a lot.
>1

If I really wanted to make a difference, I'd want to bring back an sufficiently self reliant colony; a small army, with survival professionals, geologists, chemists, all kinds of biologists particularly immunology and disease knowledge, physicists, skilled labourers, and historians specializing in all the languages of the time. We'd need lots of weaponry, transport, medicines, tools, seeds etc. We'd grow in numbers by offering education and jobs, and if necessary, swiftly overthrow kings, so that armies are not formed against us, using our superior firepower or biological or chemical warfare for example.

>> No.4553748

>>4552917
BURN HIM!

>> No.4553774
File: 366 KB, 900x2216, Human knowledge.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2

If it were just me, I'd first try and find a family that will take me on as a worker in exchange for temporary shelter and provisions. I will educate them and their children on reading and writing, sanitation and healthcare, some agriculture and irrigation knowledge I may have, and start to build a respectable wooden schoolhouse. Overall, I'll try to make my teaching methods self-propagating. Like rule#1 is each day, teach someone else something you learned. rule#2, to move up a school level, make someone else join the school. That way, it might have a fair survival chance against religion and other memes in the future. I'll become an educator and collaborate with others to build useful tools, waterwheels and carriages. If I make enough money, I'll trade for useful materials such as copper, lead, zinc or whatever they have to offer (with this, I could make alkaline batteries and sell to rich curious people). I'll make a business, teaching my employees jit, kaizen, continual improvement, economies of scale and all of that. I'll expand into manufacturing, toolmaking etc. early on. I'll delegate my business management to my best pupils whilst pursuing further projects.

>> No.4553799

>>4553774
This poster is kinda retarded... The fact that we have technology (cars, computers, satellites orbiting the earth, airplanes) will tell them FAR more about how scientifically and technologically advanced we are than letting them know that the average joe's heard of the Pythagorean theorem XD It would be immediately obvious too...

>> No.4553807
File: 773 KB, 1280x828, Brain development.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>3

After I become really wealthy and powerful using my superior business knowledge, I'll open up huge education and research institutions and let the knowledge propagate around the world. It will be a of crusade of knowledge. I'll make useful traits such as strength, fitness, intelligence, kindness and reason greatly selected for by changing culture. I'll prepare for any impending resistance from deluded armies thinking that education is against their god, whilst at the same time teaching morals based on rationality. The kings of the time may feel that they are loosing power to my system, but I will try to work with them to the best of my ability, using tit-for-tat. If a king tries to attack my system, I get him killed.

>> No.4553813

>>4553744
Why don't you just take the US army back in time, conquer the world, and create a designed utopian world from the very start? :)

>> No.4553822

Why do people think they will assume you're a French spy.

Firstly, what even is a 'spy' in medieval times? How would this Frenchman get to England to be wandering around on his own? What danger would he be defenseless with no weaponry? What's he going to do radio back information to France? Swim the channel? You have no sword and no way of communicating with France, why would they think you were French.

What information would a supposed 'spy' even gain from hanging around with peasants? He's gonna report back the tax rate of this English city to France?

OP was vague with his time period, England may not even be unified.

You look and sound odd. You're clearly a traveller from another kingdom (county), they may drive you out of every town you reach for fear you'll bring the plague with you, or just be completely unhelpful and do nothing but try and flog you stuff (selling crap to tourists, some things never change).

Otherwise the accent can be easily explained away. You can go 10 miles in England today and encounter a totally different accent. Back then with no tv or communications to smooth out accents, it would be magnified so much you could blag it by saying you were a traveller from London or something. Clothes I'm sure you could smother with mud until you steal some more ordinary looking ones.

>> No.4553826

>>4553813
>US army

>friendly fire, friendly fire everyone
>idiot un-professionals gung-ho-ing around blindly firing
>douchebag pilots crashing helicopters showing off to their mates.

NOPE
Try the Navy seals or SAS or Royal marines.

>> No.4553830

>>4553799
Yeah it's probably pretty dumb. It doesn't consider a lot of situations. They can probably understand our brains without having to ask us to write things down or tell them. With fMRI we can already tell a lot about someone's thoughts. That tech would probably look like a flint on a stick to them.

>> No.4553842

>>4553813
Yeah, US army has no disciprine and shit culture. They will douche around all the time... You want highly trained loyal tactical squads with no criminal history and no history of mental conditions who wont lose it given the wild situation.