[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 76 KB, 363x500, asdf3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4537624 No.4537624 [Reply] [Original]

Balance the following redox reaction occurring in either acidic or basic solution.

S2– + CrO42– → S + Cr(OH)3 (basic)

I appreciate any help. I'm beta as fuck when it comes to chem.

>> No.4537627

Oh look. A homework thread.

If you refuse to pay attention in class it is not the responsibility of /sci/ to bail you out.

>> No.4537635

>>4537627

Kinda why I was hoping a picture of a funny dog would help my chances. Thanks anyways.

>> No.4537673

Write your two half reactions and obey the laws of conservation of matter and charge. If basic, you can't have hydrogen ions and have to had hydroxide ions to make it right. If acidic you can leave it. I'll do one for you

S2- -> S + 2e-

Remember to multiply the half reactions by appropriate number to balance and cancel electrons and to add water when balancing for oxygen.

>> No.4537832
File: 39 KB, 396x383, 1321659958516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hate to be a dick, but I can show how to balance a redox reaction in person, but over the internet is probably hopeless. I use the half reaction method.
1.) identify the reduction half and balance it with electrons
2.) identify the oxidation half reaction and balance it with electrons
3.)balance 1 and 2 with water and protons
4.)combine the half reactions using the number of electrons to determine the ratio
5.) cancel all excess water, protons
6.) electrons should cancel out
7.) final check for a balanced reaction

alternately you can use the internet method and just type in the redox reaction and likely somewhere it is posted. granted, you won't know how to do it, and you'll bomb the test like a little bitch, but that hasn't stopped armies of gen chem students in the past. You'll be the inheritor of a proud tradition, and when you're making tacos in a utility van you can say to the dishwasher "It was hard, but I, I held the line."