[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 269x312, feynman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4486672 No.4486672 [Reply] [Original]

What's wrong with it?

How can we fix it?

Why did the new math movement fail?

What is the elementary curriculum in a stereotypically "good at math" country such as China like?

discuss

>> No.4486676

Murkans r 2dumb

/thread

>> No.4486678

Should be asking what is wrong with the American education system in general. Then focus on specific avenues of study. But the educational system is shit to begin with, math suffers the most from that probably.

>> No.4486693

At least in my school, up until I graduated, it wasn't cool to be smart. People actually bragged about how much stupider they were than everyone else. As long as this is the outlook of a large percentage of Americans, our education system cannot be fixed.

>> No.4486706

>>4486693
i agree with this somewhat but still in other countries their curriculums are more advanced than ours

>> No.4486715

China:
>child comes home with bad mark
>parents beat him and ground him for six months

America:
>child comes home with bad mark
>parents buy something to the kid to cheer him up and then sue the school and the teacher

>> No.4486737

>>4486693
not even some sort of social or cultural revolution?

>> No.4486750

Modern mathematical concepts like functions are not introduced early enough, and when they are, not enough intuition is shown so that a wider audience of students can grasp it.

That and cultural reasons in the US. Just my opinion.

>> No.4486754

>Why did the new math movement fail?
Because trying to teach elementary schoolers number theory before even exposing them to basic arithmetic is pants-on-head retarded.

>> No.4486760

the problem is that you let democracy destroy the educational system. Americans let those who know the least about science and its benefits control Education, and to please those who couldn't even do math or did want it to be gradually replaced with something else. It always happens like this in democratic countries.
Whereas in China, they got a scientific gvt, that knows the value of "useful" knowledge.

>> No.4486926

>implying there is anything wrong with it

The US education is still the worlds #1, we still have the best universities and the best science. Any shit like you are saying is just yuropoor propaganda

>> No.4486933

Mathematics are not taught rigourously enough.

>> No.4486937

>>4486926
>The US education is still the worlds #1, we still have the best universities and the best science. Any shit like you are saying is just yuropoor propaganda

Because our entire education system sucks as evidenced by this post

>> No.4486944

Just copy Germany's educational system.

>> No.4486951

I figure that a good portion of it has to do with cultural differences, although I'd be much more comfortable saying so if I had direct experience with other cultures of countries that are stereotypically strong in mathematics.

I doubt that it isn't a huge part of the problem though.

As far as the curriculum goes, my schooling until graduating high school was so shitty that I wasn't ever interested in math until I had to force myself to learn it because my skills were so incompetent. There's probably a lot of things wrong with the system as a whole, but I'm not to even pretend like I know the answer, because students are fairly problematic, due in part to the aforementioned cultural differences.

>> No.4486960

http://www.crme.soton.ac.uk/publications/kjpubs/somelessons.html

Read this. Answers pretty much everything.

tl;dr japan's system is better because it encourages kids to actually think about a problem and try inventive solutions rather than just "here is formula, plug and chug"

>> No.4486976

Privatisation. Nuff said.

>> No.4486998

>>4486976

At the very least we need to remove some of the layers of bureaucracy.

>> No.4487038

>>4486960
this research that link has quoted was intriguing as well

http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=1999074

man, i'm liking the way how the Japanese teach math

>> No.4487078

American public school math is straight up designed to keep girls from falling behind. Inventiveness and understanding is neither required nor encouraged; in fact, it is discouraged through the use of tedious tests that emphasize the mundane details of problems, rather than the concepts behind the problems.

Instead, math is designed so that as long as you pay attention and grind through practice problems you can get A's in even the most 'advanced' math classes, without regard to actually understanding what is going on.