[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 74 KB, 300x300, 12160613.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4462973 No.4462973 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/, I'm entering second year engineering next fall and I'm a little torn on what to take for my specialty. It's between CE, ME, and EE and right now, interest wise, I'm thinking CE > ME > EE. I don't have any real attraction to any of the fields over the other and was wondering what the positives and negatives of each are.

I've heard CE is strained for jobs, but pay is good (not that important), ME is good all-around, and EE I've heard involves some intense maths.

Anyone here have some insight into these subject I could use?

Also, I know I'm going to have multiple dicks in my mouth, so you don't need to remind me of that.

>> No.4462994

Of those EE is best. Most interesting, probably hardest, and best career opportunities.

>> No.4463005

>>4462994
>Most interesting, probably hardest, and best career opportunities.
fullretard.jpg.exe

most interesting obviously depends on the individual. CE is typically considered hardest, along with being the most in demand.

sounds to me like you're a EE major.

>> No.4463010

>>4463005
I'm not an engineer. And is CE chemical Engineer or Computer Engineer? I assumed Computer Engineer. ChemE can do pretty well in petroleum.

>> No.4463012

>>4463010
civil, obviously.

>> No.4463016

compE here.

please dont turn this thread into engineering major pissing contest.

pick which you like best, you have good prospects in any of those choices op. if you dont know which you like best, figure it out. talk to upperclassmen and grad students, professors, etc. read lots of shit online. do your research. 4chan may give you some interesting answers but i hope you arent relying solely on this place to help you with such a big choice

>> No.4463053

ME will give you many more options
so if you're unsure what you like right now, ME

if you don't want to worry about getting a job, just bust your ass

>> No.4463235
File: 330 KB, 1072x946, 1281 engineering.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

\thread

>> No.4463245

lol you said you don't have any attraction to fields

>oh god I'm so alone

>> No.4463250

OP: Have you taken physics 2 yet?

Wait till you do to decide. If you hate that shit, stay away from EE and go ME or something far away from EE as you can.

>> No.4463274

EE and ChemE are usually considered the 'hardest'. Most fields are respectable, just stay away from shit like Civil and Environmental. If you are interested in Physics, check out Engineering Physics.

I'm in EE and it's fairly interesting; a good bit of physics and math as well. I strongly considered doing physics, because I have more interest with that, but decided with EE because of great job prospects.

>> No.4463281

>>4463250
ME has mechatronics.

>> No.4463287

>>4463281

Not required at UCF I don't think.

I don't know, anyways. I just know my ME friends hated physics 2. I loved it which is why I'm doing EE.

>> No.4463308

>>4463287
i liked physics 2 except for the theoretical electron bullshit at the beginning. i got an average score on the first exam, but got one of the highest scores on the two remaining exams (circuits and electromagnetism.)

regardless, any systems class will cover circuits, amplifiers, and solenoids at the very least.

>> No.4463329

>>4462973
I'm a mathematician and I deal with a lot of the underlying mathematics of chemical engineering, and that's pretty damned interesting. So I guess chemical engineering might not suck too bad, in any case you're still going to be an engiqueer.

>> No.4463349

California civil engineer here (UCLA). I picked civil because it was the easiest and fastest to finish. EE & ME start out in the mid 50s salary wise, we start at around 40K.

Many people wind up in civil because because it is the easiest or ME/EE were too hard. I have never actually worked as an engineer, but I have been a MATLAB code monkey.

Civil engineers are the most disposable when things turn bad. But governments are always building stuff.

>> No.4463358

>>4463005

>CE is typically considered hardest

Are you fucking kidding me? Half of the modules are just lab work and all you have to do is turn up.

EE is the hardest, hell even ME is harder than CE. Chem is also overrated as fuck because all the dumb people take it.

>> No.4463442

>>4463358
>EE is the hardest
[citation needed]

in a legitimate engineering school, i would say that industrial is the hardest. it's virtually all math with a few business oriented classes thrown in.

>> No.4463621

>>4463308

Dat theory is what I enjoyed the most. Plus you pretty much cover 3 out of the 4 of Maxwell's equations doing circuitry and magnetism/electric field/both.

And circuitry was the most fun I've had in a while...but it's very easy in the introductory level, I suppose.

>> No.4463623

>>4463442

Industrial engineers are not engineers.

>> No.4463632

>>4462973
> EE I've heard involves some intense maths
So? Just figure it out. Never avoid pursuing education because you think it's too challenging.

>> No.4463640

It seems there MIGHT be a huge future in CE.
A lot of nanotech stuff that MAY be right around the corner would pretty much revolutionize everything.
At the very least oil, plastic and crap food will always need CE.

>> No.4463687

OP

Did you like building buildings out of lego and playing sim city as a kid and would enjoy a career designing roads and bridges?

If yes, go Civil

Are you a car fanatic and are interested in how substances flow from one point to another?

If yes, go civil

Did you spend your childhood curious how everything electronic worked, are interested in power generation and big dangerous sums of electricity, and manipulating signals?

If yes go electrical.

Remember, school is only 4-5 years. After that you've got another 30+ years to deal with your choice.

Also,
>engineering
>strained for jobs

pick one, bro. Someone needs you somewhere in the world.

>> No.4463696
File: 21 KB, 629x616, 1325214139093.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw BME

I feel like the other engineering faculty don't like us.

>> No.4463700

>>4463621
i disliked theory regarding pure electricity, i.e. why i mentioned electrons.

i was fine with maxwell's equations and most of the electromagnetism stuff. although, i have to admit that i forgot most of it as other than circuit analysis, nothing from that course ended up being useful to me.

>> No.4463709

>>4463696

Protip: We don't.

About 2/3 of my Materials Science class is BME (it's required for them, elective for us ChemEs) and we just sit their laughing at the BMEs' collective stupidity.

>> No.4463717

>>4463709
at my school, it seems that people who couldn't even handle industrial or civil engineering end up in biomedical.

>> No.4463721

>>4463709
Around what year are they?

The problem is that everyone assumes "I'm smart, I'll just do BME undergrad then go to med school" and most people can't do that. My class has shrunk to about the fourth of the size that it was at the beginning of freshman year.

But yeah BME ends up doing a lot less engineering courses than other E majors.

>> No.4463735

EE seems to be the versatile of the three.

>> No.4463740

>>4463721
They're 2nd Semester Sophomores.

>> No.4463750

>>4463740
Ah, I guess a little past the time when most drop out then.

>> No.4463767

>>4463700

But...Maxwell's first equation is Gauss' Law. This is basically a statement of electric field lines!

Anyways, circuit analysis is like solving a puzzle to me. I guess that's why I enjoy it.

>> No.4463781

I like ChemE undergrad and almost halfway done. I'm at UMD, got a good program here. For some reason we're classified as "Chemical and Biomolecular Engineers", so I'm guessing that we get those types of classes later on... anyways. I agree with someone previously who said ME has a lot of uses, I personally would do that out of the 3 that you picked. Here in MD computer shit is in hi demand, so the CompE's have good work

>> No.4463785

>>4463781
meant high not hi

>> No.4463826

bump this is relevant to my interest, I'm picking my major in april?

Anyways here are my choices at my shit school

chemical
civil
electrical
geomatics (lol what)
mechanical
petroleum
software

Anyone in geomatics? just curious

decide my future sci

>> No.4463830

>>4463826

sorry forgot to add

BME
environment?
computer

>> No.4463833

>>4463826
google image search and pick the one with the coolest pictures

>> No.4463963

OP here.
Lots of useful things to consider. The statics/dynamics course I'm taking has probably been the most interesting. If I were to go into mechE and specifically the mechatronics, how much EE type of course work is there? I assume it's just being able to integrate the mechanical systems with the electronic component developed by an EE