[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 71 KB, 720x576, the void.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4453388 No.4453388 [Reply] [Original]

science and math really kill the feel of wonder. There's an elusive mystery behind life that can only be probed and explored by artistic means. That feel that's "beyond* the naturalistic world described by science and math. It might not even exist. Maybe it's true, science can offer a rational explanation to everything, but where is the fun in that really. When you know in the back of your mind that there's a logical explanation to things what kind of life is that? Before you know how something works or what a certain phenomena is, it's magical. It could be anything, and that feel is the best in the world. To not know.

>> No.4453393
File: 104 KB, 694x448, 1330489637814.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>That feel when most people in the world are just like you

>> No.4453395

I LOVE the feeling of understanding the amazingly consistent and beautiful world of mathematics and science.

The big, ugly, empty 'i dunno' is a big grey blob in my mind that I can't help myself from attempting to fill as fully as possible.

There is no greater wonder than seeing and understanding the beauty inherent in everything.

>> No.4453398
File: 79 KB, 720x479, magic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ignorance is bliss

>> No.4453400

The last place I heard something along the lines of what you wrote was in an Apple testimonial.

And yes, you should be ashamed of that.

>> No.4453405

Eugenics: you're doing it right.

>> No.4453406

>>4453395
I know this feel too and know what you're talking about. It's a good feel for sure but I think there's something deceptive about it. It feels good for a while, you bask in the knowledge of what humankind can accomplish through logic and reason and how much we've uncovered.....

but then it staggers and fades...it doesn't last. After a while you start wondering 'is this it?' and are drawn once again towards the primal unknown.

>> No.4453415

>>4453406

It never fades. Every time I go into the mountains, look at a rock formation, and form a plausible model of how it came to be, I am filled with elation. When I walk through a forest and estimate the age and history of a tree by its breadth and form. When I watch the interplay of birds and posit the millions of potential evolutionary explanations for why they do what they do, and why those who did it less are not here today.

There is no end to the wonder of science. Your problem is that you view science as facts. Whereas in reality, it is method.

>> No.4453416

>>4453406
No joy lasts forever... that's why we constantly push to explore stuff further!
Besides, artists did not give you electricity, computers and internet to even say that here. Science did. The enjoyment you get from watching movies, playing games and listening to music - there wouldn't be any without science and math.

>> No.4453418

>>4453406
You're either completely full of shit or in bad need of medication. Those of us without mental problems have no problem dealing with mankind's limited perspective of the universe. And claims that science and math kill the feeling of wonder, or whatever hippy ass bullshit OP was on about, it nothing more than an expression of cowardice, a function of OPs inability to deal with a reality not tailor made for him.

>> No.4453420

>When you know in the back of your mind that there's a logical explanation to things what kind of life is that?
An interesting one. You pursue to discover the logic, then use it to make your life more pleasurable.

>> No.4453427

>>4453416
true, I know. I'm not really against science. I'm actually a physics/math major although I can't say I'm very talented at these subjects. I do love the feeling of knowing how the world works mathematically and seeing these elusive logical architecture that makes up our world, but then at times I almost wish I was ignorant to these things.

i dunno what i'm doing really.

>> No.4453435
File: 53 KB, 448x336, science pic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We get the wonder of not knowing.
Then we get the wonder of knowing.
Then we find some more things we do not know.
Then it begins again.

Plus, scientists are also free to paint with their dicks and interpret literature with their dicks and study history with their dicks. They can start dick businesses and talk polidicks. They don't even have to pay for schooling to do it, either.

We get everything. What do you get?

>> No.4453438

>>4453418
>>4453420
this is the fallacy of Plato's cave. the real world that we live in and the 'perfect world' of our minds that we strive so hard to achieve with our Western empiricism of science. But can we ever really reach it? Seems doubtful.

>> No.4453436

>>4453427

>I can't say I'm very talented at these subjects

That's probably the problem. You see a theorem and you memorise it, rather than asking yourself how to prove it. You see a law of motion and you practice the equations, rather than considering how you could have tested it experimentally.

>> No.4454096

>>4453398
/thread

>> No.4454120

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Im6yyrdGs
Op is the black guy.
And i actually think that it's more fun knowing that there's always a logical explanation.
If magic did exist it would be fucking terrifying.

>> No.4454141

>>4453438
its the process of making the ideal happen, and the stillness that is required to truly see what is ideal. browsing /b/ isnt still btw

>> No.4454155

"I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and in many things I don’t know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we’re here, and what the question might mean. I might think about a little, but if I can’t figure it out, then I go to something else. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn’t frighten me."
- R. Feynman

>> No.4454165

>>4453388

There are so many questions. Through science we've discovered a lot, but as each question is answered, ten more questions appear. If you never wanted to know the answer such questions, there would be no wonder. Some say "you'll never know all the answers, so what's the point?"
I believe that by that logic, there isn't really a point to anything.

I always feel a bit sad when hearing people express such a viewpoint. You fail to see the art and beauty in science.

>> No.4454199

>>4453427

If you're majoring in physics/math, I'm assuming that you haven't gone very far in it yet. Blind memorization of formulations is going to make things black and white. Also, the earlier levels of physics and math are nothing but black and white. You're going to need to understand the concepts behind them. The how and why to the what.

I've found that as the mathematical explanation of the physical universe became more and more abstract, the more creative my mind had to be in understanding and deriving it. I don't think it ruins any of the magic in everyday life at all. Quite the opposite really.

I've had the argument before with a friend of mine trying to justify his art degree over my chem degree. It's been said that the more you understand about the physical universe the less you're able to see the beauty in live. I couldn't disagree more. As I like to say, on top of the physical beauty around me in life, I also have an appreciation and understanding of the mathematics behind it. So really, you get to appreciate two beautiful things happening at once.

>> No.4454456

>>4453398
"if ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face"
-rage against the machine

>> No.4454478

Omnipotence is unreachable and the feel of discovery and knowledge is so much better than ignorance. So we'll keep discovering things and have that great feel.

>Deal With It