[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 132 KB, 500x333, 1330110179514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4413669 No.4413669 [Reply] [Original]

Are IQ tests actually useful? Do they work?

>> No.4413680

They're useful for telling you how good you are at IQ tests. Other than that I don't see a point to them.

>> No.4413682

>>4413680

>butthurt because he failed an IQ test

>> No.4413684

>>4413682

I don't think you can actually fail the test.

>> No.4413689

>combine 2 megatrollrage threads into one
>i see what you did there

Creator exists because existence

>> No.4413691

The concept is valid.

But most IQ tests are inadequately designed.

Unless you have the most brilliant man on Earth design the IQ test, it will not be entirely adequate to serve its purpose.

Unfortunately those who design IQ tests are poor delusional sods who never made it very far in life.

IQ tests thus far have only been able to pick out those of like-mindedness with their examiner or those with similar patterns of thought.

If you are obsessed over intellect and the show of it, then engage yourself in a worthy debate.

>> No.4413829

IQ tests provide insight into an underlying g factor for a given person - it represents a correlation between performance on tasks of mental ability of any kind. This correlation is so strong it can be tested using simple methods such as vocabulary size testing (.8 correlation) but also can be vigorously tested using methods like complex reaction time mean and variance. IQ is an extremely heritable trait (varies .8 with genes) as determined by identical twin studies.

The flynn effect indicates that there may be a way for it to increase over multiple generations, but during a single lifetime it does not significantly change. This is likely mediated through whatever genetic memory mechanism allows us to develop brain structure adapted to evolved inputs/outputs and instincts related to our surroundings.

Basically, a person with a 75 IQ and a person with a 150 IQ are living on different planes of existence, and it is a long and arduous path spanning many generations of unique paradigm shifting experiences to get the 75 IQ lineage to the 150 IQ lineage. If we can investigate and understand this better we could possibly speed up the process, but as long as civil rights groups continue to suppress research into this topic and popularize junk science on the issue (EQ, multiple intelligences, using testing error to give the illusion of mutable IQ) we will never get there.

>> No.4413836

Oh wow didn't see the other responses.. IQ testing is based on bulletproof mathematical reasoning. The spread of misinformation on this subject is overwhelming though, so I am not surprised you didn't know.