[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.00 MB, 2000x2000, EtaCarinae.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4389802 No.4389802 [Reply] [Original]

You know what would be awesome? If we lived to see the night (and day) sky lit up by a supernova blast.

Such things were observed before, like some supernova lighting up the sky for like 20 years during the 1400's or something.

I read a Time article about some star in the Eta Carinae system is due to explode or had exploded a while ago.

If the light of such event were to reach us that'd be fuckin awesome to see at night and have it stay there for a while.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2106904,00.html

>> No.4389812

The best thing with potential life extension is hoping for Betelgeuse to go supernova.
I soo hope it happens in the next 1000 years...

>> No.4390224

bamp.

Don't you guys wanna see some color in the night sky?

You might be able to troll people by saying that the explosion in the sky is headed toward earth at light speed and will eventually consume the planet, and that what you see in the night sky is the herald of an apocalypse to come within a few thousand years, and there is nothing anyone can do to keep that thing in the sky from staring everyone in the face.

I'd enjoy doing that a lot.