[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 67 KB, 2437x2204, Bach-Hess_JesuPg1Ctxt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4370815 No.4370815 [Reply] [Original]

Why can I create (relatively) great music in my dreams with little effort? I can't do shit like that while awake.

>> No.4370831

Can you actually remember it and transcribe the music after you wake up?

>> No.4370833

>>4370831
Accidental sage.

>> No.4370840

Simple. The cells in your organ of corti are functioning at a alpha frequency in greater coherence with your superior temporal gyrus. Without interference from your LPFC generativity is uninhibited.

Is your bedroom totally quiet or do you have external noise of some sort?

>> No.4370844

>>4370831

I have been able to remember some of the melodies after waking up. But they fade away from my memory very quickly. Similar to when you suddenly forget what you were dreaming about when you wake up.

>> No.4370846

>>4370840

There's little background noise, mostly the air conditioner and occasional hum of electronics.

>> No.4370847

>>4370844
Then it probably isn't very good. Dreams are the last place you can trust your perceptions of things compared to how you normally experience them. I wrote a melody I heard once while falling asleep. It was shit.

>> No.4370849

I actually dreamed of composing something I considered as really good.

and forgot about it minutes later.

>> No.4370854

>>4370846
>>4370840 This fag

Try doing a wandering, non-concentrative meditation with the same ambient conditions. Start out with transcendental meditation for 10 minutes, then stop the mantra and use a few bars of music as your anchor. Let your mind go and see what happens. If you find yourself judging the music, repeat a few bars in your head again and just try to let the music happen.

>> No.4370861

>>4370847

I've considered this. My brain could just be playing tricks on me, until I can remember one of these dreams accurately and write them down, I'll never know.

>>4370854

This sounds great, but does it actually work?

>> No.4370882
File: 391 KB, 727x663, power ranger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Its probably you just thinking its good because you're fucked up from sleeping. When i lucid dream a lot of stupid shit seems to make perfect sense "Who was phone? Oh it was the guy who cooked for me", but when i wake up i wonder what the fuck i ate before sleeping.

>> No.4370883

>>4370861
You'll be able to get into a daydream state, at the very least, using meditation.

I don't know how well it will work but you should be able to hear some music eventually. As to how good it will be and how easy it will be for you to just let it flow, I can't say.

It may teach you how to remember a melody as you come out of the daydream state, which may help when trying to do it with a real dream. Keep a handheld recorder of some kind nearby.

>> No.4370885

>>4370882
While sleep reduces functionality in the higher parts of the brain, hearing and the emotional valence associated with it should remain somewhat intact. The auditory brainstem would still respond at a reasonable enough level, one would expect. Deeming music good or bad occurs very early in life and with little to no training, as you may know.