[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 188 KB, 520x650, thelawsofphysics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4361853 No.4361853 [Reply] [Original]

I haven't seen anything recently about the faster-than-light neutrinos that CERN apparently witnessed during one of their experiments a few months ago. Is there any other info besides the wikipedia ariticle (below)?

Thoughts? Did the scientists at CERN just fuck relativistic physics in the ass, or do they just have shitty data?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

>> No.4361861

The finding is still awaiting an attempt at replication by an American group, I think.

>> No.4361875

From what I've heard, it's awaiting replication and some tougher examinations.
I heard somewhere that they should have news around summer, meaning 4-6 months.

>> No.4361925

Could you imagine the consequences if it turns out that we have found something capable of FTL speeds?

>> No.4361939

>>4361925
Stop it already. You're wasting your time even speculating. Wait until the scientists get back to us.

>> No.4361942

>>4361925
STAR TREK'S FUTURE WOULD THEN BECOME POSSIBLE

>> No.4361956

Not to be a bubble buster but they've theorized that such particles might exist. It's a sort of inverse speed of light particle. The closer it is to the speed of light, the more energy it takes, though the faster it is beyond the speed of light, the less energy it takes.

>> No.4361978

>>4361956
Do you have a link to any more information about what you're saying? A name of the theory even?

>> No.4362013

I hope that the observation is confirmed, just because I'd be thoroughly amused by the amount of fan shitting that would thereupon ensue.

It would be more like a blue whale shitting into a jet engine.

>> No.4362097
File: 194 KB, 292x384, oldshitcopy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4362013
Nice analogy. Sadly, google provided no visual representaions of your analogy. I'm still waiting for the final word on this. I doubt it's going to be true, but science could use some pants shitting now and then just to keep everyone on their toes.