[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 44 KB, 378x250, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4360141 No.4360141 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,
Undeclared Engineering student here, wondering what to do with my future.
I'm decently smart (3.4 GPA at UCLA engineering), not genius status by any means.
In the long run I want to do something management related or something big-picture that requires basic knowledge of many different disciplines but has a lot of interacting with people. I'm good at putting together teams and I have good people skills (I'm more of an extrovert than most engineers, and would rather go out and party or hang out than play video games).

The only problem is I'm not sure what type of engineering I want to do. I feel like something like Mechanical would give me the best background for this type of practical work, but at the same time I love biology and chemistry. I don't think I could ever do those though, because I would dread working in a lab everyday. I need to move around, meet people, and go onsite or go different places. The problem is I don't really like Math unless I can apply it. IE: I don't see the point in learning about taylor series and parametrized curves and things like that and my math grades suffer because of it. Chem and Chem Lab, however, I'm getting an A with barely any work because I find it fascinating and applicable while most people can't even understand the basics.

What should I do /sci/? Where does my future lie?
TL;DR: Like chem+bio, hate math. Want management/systems engineering future, not lab work future. What do?

>> No.4360144

double degree, mechanical + electrical.

or civil.

>> No.4360160

>>4360144
I think dual degree would be way too hard. The required courses don't overlap and I would have no time whatsoever. Not even the smartest people here dual degree.
And civil engineering seems like a cop-out for some reason.

>> No.4360177

Civil, or structural, or environmental.

At the upper levels, any of the above disciplines has to effectively manage and interface with a wide range of people. Moreover, they are among the most lucrative of the engineering disciplines because private firms often collect standard rates on large projects. Roads, tank farms, airports, Superfund sites...