[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 152 KB, 500x282, 3cd8a33a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4342925 No.4342925 [Reply] [Original]

how come this life is so shitty?

>> No.4342932
File: 80 KB, 437x406, dreary_1280x1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Entropy. Everything good turns to poop sooner or later.

Shit's gay.

>> No.4342933

>>4342925
>implying life is digested food

>> No.4342939

Life is not shitty, it's neutral per definition, the way we (choose) to experience it can be shitty. The problem is how you (or your subconscience) choose to experience this life is shitty. Relativistically speaking, the impression of life depends on the observer.
Change your way of experiencing this life, and it will not look shitty anymore. It may look quite nice.

>> No.4342942

>>4342939
This. I used to be depressed, with insomnia and suicidal tendencies to boot. Years of therapy, drugs and help from family only mitigated it.

Then I decided to stop being depressed and became awesome instead.

True story

>> No.4342972

>>4342942
Most of us humans (and mostly intelligent ones with possible bright future) have fallen in depression for long periods, lived happiness in others.
From my observation, depression don't correlate in a high number of cases with external circumstances (it has no external cause), it is mostly caused by internal sources. It's the way we think, and what we think that causes depression, not what happens around us.
Of course, there are many cases where this don't hold (depression as a biological sickness, depression for the death of someone ...), but I would say that the majority of depressed persons, can be self-healed with some will and self-improvement. The simplest way to do it is to try to smile most of the time, it's quite of dumb, but magic.

>> No.4342989

>>4342972
> Most humans (mostly intelligent ones with possible bright future) have fallen in depression for long periods.
Citation needed.

> depression don't correlate in a high number of cases with external circumstances (it has no external cause), it is mostly caused by internal sources. It's the way we think, and what we think that causes depression, not what happens around us.
Citation needed.

> I would say that the majority of depressed persons, can be self-healed with some will and self-improvement. The simplest way to do it is to try to smile most of the time, it's quite of dumb, but magic.
FULL RETARD

If smiling worked, why is manufacturing of anti-depressants raking in so much money?

I'm sorry. You cannot withdraw that much stupid from the bank of knowledge today. Please try again later.

>> No.4343024

>>4342972
>Most of us humans (and mostly intelligent ones with possible bright future) have fallen in depression for long periods, lived happiness in others.
While there isn't a conclusive study, some research indicates that higher intelligence might actually mitigate the effect of stressful life events.

>From my observation, depression don't correlate in a high number of cases with external circumstances (it has no external cause), it is mostly caused by internal sources.
Your observation is limited. Depression has been shown to have a strong correlation with external events in study after study.

>but I would say that the majority of depressed persons, can be self-healed with some will and self-improvement. The simplest way to do it is to try to smile most of the time, it's quite of dumb, but magic.
You'll get a minimal effect from smiling but not enough to get people out of a depressive episode.

>>4342925
>how come this life is so shitty?
1. Different environment from out ancestors.
2. We use language poorly sometimes.
3. Inability to remain in the present.
4. Pursuit of goals that promise us happiness but fail to deliver.

>> No.4343029

Because you make it shitty with that attitude.

>> No.4343031

Our minds are much more suited to living in the savannah and hunting and shit.

I actually think modern life bores us to death.

>> No.4343038

>>4343029
This. My life is fucking awesome because I want it to be awesome. Take responsibility for your life, don't blame others for your shitty situation, and take steps to turn it around.

>> No.4343040

>>4343038
> My life is fucking awesome because I want it to be awesome.
translation:
>My life is fucking awesome because I was born in a privileged white family and allowed certain freedoms solely by virtue of my position

>> No.4343044

Because you probably grew up in a shitty environment. After all, happiness is a social construst.

>> No.4343053

>>4342972
>smile
I can attest to that. Not a joker-grimace, but even a slight smile will relieve tension. Also, walking with your head up, or even looking up instead of constantly scanning the ground will help.

Of course like with all psychological things, the outcome depends on the individual.