[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 57 KB, 490x600, 490px-Frans_Hals_-_Portret_van_René_Descartes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4332846 No.4332846 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/poll time:

>What's your major?
>What is your average credit load per semester?
>How many hours of the week are dedicated to your studies?
>Are you currently interning somewhere?
>If so, how hard was it to get the position, and how demanding is it of your life?

>> No.4332863

> CS
> ca. 30
> ca. 42
> nope

>> No.4332870

>What's your major?

Undergrad Engineering major. (1st year.)

It will be about 18-22, but this first semester is only 13 because the actual classes for the major don't start until fall semester.

Every time I think about it. Perhaps realistically 25+ hours go into studying weekly.

No, but I am creating a firm ground (volunteering, etc) to put on an application for interning.

>> No.4332886

> Psychology / Phylosophy
> Around 22 per semester
> Lots
> No. Others do participate in guided studies (meaning, being the professor's lackies), I see no point in that.

>> No.4332983

>>4332870

Prospective engineer here. When you say 25 hours a week, does that include assigned work or is that simply time spent reviewing course material?

How competitive is the intern market? Why does it seem people have to flock and slave just to be able to work for free?

>> No.4333521

freshman engineering undergrad here, I'm taking about 15 credits and precalc is already kicking my ass. I just can't see anyone taking more than that unless you're studying 24/7. are you guys just fucking with me?

>> No.4333556
File: 25 KB, 725x433, CaptureS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What's your major?
Electrical & Computer Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science.
22-27 credits
5 hours to do assignments with 1.5~ hours studying (mainly for language classes)
Was last summer, probably will do research instead next.
>If so, how hard was it to get the position, and how demanding is it of your life?
Asked a professor to work at his company; it wasn't anything overly demanding.

>> No.4333646

>12pm-9pm classes
>two days a week

how the fuck are you keeping up with all the work? maybe I'm stuck with a bunch of weedout courses but I get homework every single day, on multiple subjects, which take at least 3 hours to finish, jesus fuck I barely have time to eat and shower let alone sleep

>> No.4333662

>What's your major?
Chemistry/math minor
Initially, before I changed my major and was full of childhood idealism, 13. Now, since the max at my school is 19, I have to take 19. I know I know. My school sucks.
>20+
No
N/A

>> No.4333670

How are you determining "credit load"?

1 credit = ???

>> No.4333701

>What's your major?
EE - 4th year
I spent last summer in school, allowed me a fucking 6 course year this semester. shit is cash
I'm a loser so I just study periodically throughout the day; dont really have much else to do
interned my 2nd year at a pulp mill
i have a perfect gpa at atop 20 university so it was pretty easy to get. the job itself was pretty cake, not any real engineering (which is pretty typical for most jobs you get during undergrad)

>> No.4333705

>>4333556

I don't know man, it's nice that you want to learn about various fields but I think it's probably better if you just try to learn them by yourself instead of taking all those classes.

After all, in academia you will just focus on one facet of one subject.

>> No.4333709

>>4333556
>ANAL COMPUTING

>> No.4333715

>What's your major?
Physics and chem
15, plan on doing more
Almost none, but as I have started organic chem I will actually do some studying soon
Not yet, but was bored and got some training from the nanotech lab we have on campus.
Easy, unless they are booked with stuff. I just asked and they said sure

>> No.4333721

>What's your major?
Petroleum engineering

twelve

~20 hours, more with tests

No ;_;. But I'm a sophomore, so there's still plenty of time. I work part time as well.

>> No.4333735

>What's your major?
Chemical Eng and Chemistry double major
I don't really count it but probably somewhere around 20.
Yes, I'm a research assistant in a professor's chemical physics lab.
I got the highest score in her class and asked to join after the semester. It's more hours, but not so demanding.

>> No.4333744

>>4332846

>Medical Scientist Training Program
>~30
>70 hours/week (10 hours a day)
>interning at nuclear medicine department, doing my PhD in nuclear medicine
>what life?

>> No.4333752

>>4333521
>precalc is already kicking my ass
you will drop out or barely meet the minimum GPA requirements. plenty of your kind in engineering, this is why bridges collapse or cars have exploding gas tanks when read ended.

>> No.4333775

>What's your major?
Maths and Economics double major
30 ECTS
20+courses
Nope

Which 'credit load' system are you guys referring to? 13 ECTS would be like study once a week so I´m confused.

>> No.4333802
File: 52 KB, 400x370, 1275824265792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What's your major?
Chemical engineering, freshman/
We've got our credits set up here, no need to divide them ourselves.
2 hours a day during semester, 4-5 during this christmas.
No, but I've already started working in a lab at the school and have synthesized my first crystals [organic complexes with cobalt to be precise].
Not hard, one of the professors saw me being bored, liked me and offered me to work in their lab. I go there 4 days a week, 4 hours a day, it's fun. I dunno how I'll manage during this semester, probably won't have enough time.

>> No.4333807

>What's your major?

Math, working on PhD.

Taking 33 credit hours this semester (11 courses)

About 130 hours per week right now, plus an extra 10 hours for office hours.

Morgan Sachs

Not really, I was always a boss at the maths, it's not demanding at all, For example, I was offered something like 300k starting at some shitty new company, but the name of the company was "Biomed Inc" so I said fuck that I'm not working with biologists... it's not a hard science IMO

>> No.4333808

>>4333752

there is no need to be nasty, my GPA is holding up. but when a book only has 4 pages per section, the professor shows you only one formula and two examples (which relates to maybe 20% of the homework), followed by a 30 part assignment which you'll have to figure out through "inferred" information and critical thinking, every fucking day. yeah, I don't know which precalc you took but this isn't easy.

>> No.4333809
File: 35 KB, 233x249, mog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4333807

>> No.4333814
File: 32 KB, 360x507, trolledsoftly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4333807

lol'd

>> No.4333816

>>4333807

I know you're bullshitting, but

168 hours in a week
-33 hours of class
-130 hours studying
-10 office hours

Assuming that you're not sleeping at all, you would still need 5 more hours every week to be able to do that.

>> No.4333821

How the hell could you study that much? I only study when I have final lol and when I have to hand in assignment which is quite rare. But then again I'm in Sweden and my school is kinda suck. Pharmacist second year, average grade.

>> No.4333822
File: 7 KB, 259x194, ttj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4333816

>> No.4333826

>>4333816
Maybe he count in the hour he attend class as studying hours. But still its very likely hes bullshitting us.

>> No.4333829

>>4333821

American universities are extremely hard. Minimum 12 hour per day or you only get C-

>> No.4333831

>>4333816
Lol didn't you notice the troll 300k starting and hard science meme

>> No.4333835
File: 26 KB, 471x480, cbts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4333826

>> No.4333836

>>4333821

Well, looking at Swedish admission grades, one has to assume you're just in a shitty university. If you're a straight-out pharmacist, I'm assuming you're at Gothenburg uni, and then you only needed a 0.7 HP to get in.

Good luck with your retard-level intellect.

>> No.4333841

>>4333829
Be true, you got the whole range. There is Harvard and there are some extended highschools that give away their 'degrees'.

>> No.4333842

>>4333829
It also depend on major I know people around here who study a lot. I could do better but then again my major is all about chemistry and microbiology which is lol ezmode >a hard science.
I think most people here treat college as an highschool extension where you enjoy life and develope useful social circle.

>> No.4333853

>>4333836
Yeah I'm in Goteborg uni and I know the school isn't that great but the major needs 18.5 highschool grades or something to get in. I had 19,3.

Gj bashing my intellects based on how much I study though.

>> No.4333865

>>4333842
>>4333842

>developing a social circle with faggets making 30k a year

LOL FUCKING IDIOT
>OR

>get 90% average
>get internship at investment bank as quant
>social circle of millionaires

you choose, faggot.

>> No.4333880

>>4333865

>get internship at investment bank as quant

Enjoy crunching numbers and brag about making 300k to other virgins on 4chan faggot. I want to enjoy my major too.

>> No.4333891

>>4333880

So it's reasonable to play WoW all day because I enjoy it? Isn't that the reason your shitbagface got off WoW in the first place was so you could support yourself?

>> No.4333894

>>4333853

>average grades
>implying getting good grades aren't measures of intellect

>> No.4333895

-Double in pure math/csci. Entering computational physics master's in september.

-15-18 credits per semester

-95-100/120~ hours that are spent awake and not driving/commuting.

-Working in an experimental physics lab 30+ hours a week.

-Not difficult, but extremely demanding. But hey, free master's tuition next semester right?

>> No.4333898

why do people make these threads?

>> No.4333901
File: 24 KB, 365x316, 1328005914977.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4333894

>implying getting good grades aren't measures of intellect

Whatever man, I never claim to have godlike intellect. How's your autism treating you btw

>> No.4333912

>>4333891
>comparing playing wow to studying and doing something with my life that BOTH give me opportunity to support myself with and me enjoy doing it

Full retard.
Also to each his own. As long as he work and contribute to society I don't give a shit what he find enjoyable doing

>> No.4333917

>>4333901

>MD/PhD
>dissertation in multihead SPECT γ-ray imaging at Karolinska
>autism

laughingwhores.jpg

Enjoy your shitty pharma.

>> No.4333919

>>4333917
Atleast I won't end up lecturing in local college to support myself and spend entired day in the lab with other like minded autism instead of making bank and enjoy pussies.

>> No.4333920

>>4333808

Just save yourself time and money and drop out now, you're not going to make it.

>> No.4333926

>What's your major?
MEng Mechanical Engineering year 3of4
120CATS per year, mostly exam weighted.
5hours lectures, about 5 hours extra, sometimes much more (i.e. 40 hour work sessions before deadlines).
No
Applied to about 10 places, no acceptances. Additionally completing skills workshops and volunteering several hours a week. Cannot keep up with the damn Chinese.

>> No.4333933

Biology
14 credits/semester
not enough
no internships but I'd love one

>> No.4333942

>>4332983

That is the time I spend right now reviewing course material, not the actual work. I am somewhat of an overachiever so you can perhaps take away little nonsense I do and do fine with about 15 hours of researching and course material work for the 13 credits I am doing.

I am looking at perhaps studying a shit ton more come fall semester when I will have either 18 or 20 credits.

The intern market is like getting a job. So the earlier you start the better. Make sure you at least have a semester of your major and grades/GPA to show for it when you apply. Also, make sure you are in either an accredited college, or if you can't and have to go to a two year first (which I am doing) make sure you don't get anything under 3.9 GPA.

>> No.4333979

>>4332846
>What's your major?
Music Production; minor in compsci
10-12
A couple hours every other day or so? I don't know. I don't study that often.
Nope, but I'd like to, just don't know how to get an internship.

>> No.4333997

>>4333556
You there,
I'm going to attend college soon, I want to have a clear idea of the differences between Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Computer Programming.

Please explain them to me?

>> No.4334011

>>4333997
it really depends on the college you attend, some places just use the names as if they were equal, but in general:
Programming is just that, you will see a bit of electronics, a bit of math, and some computer science courses but will focus chiefly on programming, software design, and coding like a mad monkey
Engineering tends to expand more on infrastructure (networking, server architecture, etc..)although you also need to learn some programming
CS is a dunno

>> No.4334018

>>4334011
Ah! Thank you very much!

>> No.4334025

>>4334018
computer science is the study of branches of knowledge that contributed in the creation of computers such as discrete math, set theory, logic, automatas and languages, complexity and computability, and the such, you may of may not go into electronics as such, but will most likely have to program in several languages like Prolog, LISP, Pascal, C, and maybe some other, some courses might have you making your own language and compiler/interpreter

>> No.4334036

>>4334025
I hate to keep you longer.

Which degree would get a higher likelihood of getting, and keeping a good job?

>> No.4334076

>>4334036
dunno man, i assume you are murrikan fuck yeah, but all over the world:
you ALWAYS need programmers, somebody has to code/adapt/document/maintain/test the software solutions whether you buy them or make them in house, they can go all the way up to software/system architect which is not a bad paying job as i hear, also with a masters you can become manager of the IT department
Engineering could have you doing several things depending on specialization, but managing/maintaining servers and networks is usually the most common, a masters will also get you to management positions or Reasearch and Development positions if you further specialize in a subset engineering
computer science is a very theoretical stuff, i recommend going there only for a full PhD path complemented with math minor, do rsearch and teach, quantum computer is becoming a hot topic that is totally within the scope of the disciplne

>> No.4334096

>>4334076
Thank you!
Very helpful!

>> No.4334097

>>4334036

>PLEASE PLES I NED JOB

I laugh at all you fucking faggots who do this just to get a job. Seriously, man the fuck up and do something important in your lives other than pleasing other people for 40k a year.

>> No.4334098

>What's your major?
Computer Science
Around 40
Not anymore, was last summer/last fall semester.

>> No.4334108

>What's your major?
Computer Science
17, the max is 18 but you can go past it if you fill out forms and shit
I'd say about 10 hours (not in class)
You could say that, Im working part time for the OIT department on campus.
I work the max 20 hours a week and get paid $8/hour I just help people with simple tech problems its pretty much just experience for the resume. ( I love my job)

>> No.4334109

>>4334097
>>4334097
>>4334097
>>4334097
>>4334097
>>4334097
>>4334097
HEY FAGGOT
I FUCKING LOVE TO PROGRAM CODE.

THE THING IS...
Ya want to know what the thing is...

I don't want to end up like those faggots on wallstreet.
A little job security would be nice.

>> No.4334112

- Computer Science and Financial Economics
- 17-18 hours
- More than 20 hours per week, definitely
- I'm only a freshman

Any job recommendations for my major, /sci/?

>> No.4334151

>>4334112
my recommendations are two:
a)e-mail m00t asking him to create a career board
b)banks and finantial institutions are always in the need of IT solutions, so you will eventually find a job in one of the company's they outsource to

>> No.4334179

>What's your major?
Biology
12-14, i have a bunch of AP credits from highschool, so i have no need to have a heavy courseload
depends on the week, but i always feel like i should be doing more
no

>> No.4334812

>What's your major?

Environmental Science

10-13

Only time I'm not studying is Friday night

Going to be interning with Department of Energy this summer

Not too hard to get the position, whether it's demanding remains to be seen

>> No.4334929

>Environmental Engineering, PhD
>3 Classes now, and also my highest course load
>30 hours maybe? Too much time
>No

>> No.4334962

>What's your major?
Neuroscience/Mathematics

4 courses. 4 is the maximum you can take in most universities in my country. In terms of the amount of hours I attend classes a week: 21 hours

Studying out side of class: About 24 hours

No

I do work 9 hours a week though.

>> No.4334970

>What's your major?
Finance & Accounting Double
21 right now
No since classes are currently going on..

>> No.4334997

>Physics
>14ish but cut down this semester because of family. (Wife/kid)
>The amount needed to complete homework.
>Nope, full time job as a server/network admin.