[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 500x421, 3d printing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4317526 No.4317526 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYvDS7q_V8

Will mass propagation of 3D printing change the world?

>> No.4317534

It better or I'm gonna fuck off to space.

>> No.4317547

Is that Joe Titlow? You should see how he decked out his crib on This Old House. Motherfucker is rolling in the cash from his 3D printer company.

>> No.4317550

>plaster
>plastic
>other shit like that

no.

for some reason, plebes keep getting "3d Priners" mixed up with the science fiction concept of a "pattern machine" that creates DEVICES.

a 3d printer creates hollow or solid static objects. basically like sculptures

a "pattern machine" is supposed to do everything:

create electronics
create mechanical components like hinges, valves, pistons, etc.
create different types of materials like metal, glass, ceramic, etc.

if you think that being able to easily manufacture sculptures will change the world....

then sure I guess.

>> No.4317551
File: 36 KB, 337x455, veni.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4317526
>dat british accent

It's too bad you can't fuck a voice...

>> No.4317571

>>4317551
This.

>> No.4317575

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=9RMx31GnNXY

Will organ printing change the world? [spoiler]The religious will hold this back for decades.

>[spoiler]implying Stalin was wrong

>> No.4317585
File: 13 KB, 400x374, bread-machine2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Home bread printers didn't effect the bread world in any important way from what I can tell.

>> No.4317597
File: 2.06 MB, 1920x1280, 3d-printed cylinderblock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Answer: probably not. 3d printing, the process as trademarked by Z-corp produces incredibly weak parts with structural properties on par with that of chocolate.

Now if, you're referring to ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING, that's whole different story. That's already changing the world.

>>4317550
Didn't watch OP's video, but from a couple frames I made out from it, they only covered the artsy uses of these machines.

>>create electronics
Done, modified stereolithography machines have been used to make 3D-circuit boards

>>create different types of materials like metal, glass, ceramic, etc.
All those materials have been printed, by various processes(electron beam melting, laser sintering, binder deposition, electron beam freeform fabrication, etc). Just not all in the same print.

>>create mechanical components like hinges, valves, pistons, etc.
Done, done, and done. Hinges are easy, jusy make a living hinge. This company called Objet makes machines that jet multiple materials(one material rubbery, the other stiff), one of their example prints is a working syringe complete with working gaskets. Presumably valves could be made too with this process.

pic related, it's a 3d printed engine block. The weird looking design isn't aesthetic, it saves material and weight.

>> No.4317638

>>4317575
I don't understand. It says first that the video is about printing a transplantable organ, then at the end there is a caption cautioning that those are just prototypes now, that are undergoing testing. So right now, they aren't fully functional.

>> No.4317650

>>4317534
How?

>> No.4317664

>>4317585
They did improve my breakfast for a good while. Warm fresh bread every fucking morning is quite delicious.