[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 384 KB, 1600x826, 60256_1152359707_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4300491 No.4300491 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/ I am a /g/entlemen but also love science. I am going to community college right now (LOL poorworkingfag) to get a certificate in computer security then do programming.
However, I'm early in and I would like to know /sci/'s opinion on what career would be best for someone who really loves renewable energy and smarter infrastructure but likes science and technology? How do I help build the future /sci/?

tl;dr I am a 20 year old who would like to know what career would be best to combine my love of technology with sustainability and automation?

>> No.4300500

Learn to program industrial machines.

>> No.4300528

>>4300500

That is actually not a bad idea, however it typically requires going to specialized technical schools.

>>4300491

realistically I would stick with the computer science focus, and consider your passion for other stuff to be side work that you will continuously consider and possibly eventually use as the foundation for patents or start ups and investment.

Renewable energy is currently going through a sort of "cold war" in the sense that there is a lot of money being almost indiscriminantly spent in the industry.

don't get me wrong; getting money from the government is hard no matter what the current political and economic climate is like.

politics is ultimately the main force behind all investment in business by the government. Getting money to finance work in green energy requires donating money to congressman, going to congressional functions/events, hiring lobbyists in Washington, going to washington yourself and begging, writing hundreds of research proposals, etc.

its very stressful and it can burn you out. My dad has done this many many times. I have even been to Washington with him and it really destroys you over time.

>> No.4300721

>>4300528
wow, I didn't realize it would be so stressful! I Would take pleasure doing either so I guess I may as well stay the course and apply whatever I major in towards sustainable infrastructure development.
Thanks for the info.

>> No.4301470
File: 78 KB, 500x649, 1305347923796.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am a CNC machinist. While I did go to a technical school to learn my trade, the basic principals of what I do can all be found in older/cheap textbooks. Many of the people whom I work with started right out of high school (but had to work their way up). Either way, it is a tough job that probably won't make you rich.

Programming the machinery is the best part of the job. It's making the 1000 parts afterwards where it bogs down. (put part in - push button - repeat)

I suggest finding someone who can cheaply build precision components and start a company building (insert product here). Owning the company is the only way to become a millionaire in manufacturing.